If you didn't pre-order, DO NOT go to AT&T store early

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolwater, Jun 18, 2009.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I am sure many of you know this, but for those who still don't know....

AT&T store opens @ 7am tomorrow ONLY for those who pre-ordered. If you did not pre-order, their business hour will be just same as usual.

So, if you did not pre-order and you want to get in line early, your only option is APPLE store.

2. ind0fo0 macrumors newbie

Will ATT stores have more than the number pre-ordered. IE- if I get to an ATT store a la 7:30AM... and wait for general hours, to be one of the first people in at 9AM, are the chances I get one high??

3. dagomike macrumors 65816

No, actually once the pre-order line is done, the other line starts. So, if they push everyone through who's there in an hour, you get in at 8, not 10.

4. dagomike macrumors 65816

pre-orders are direct fulfillment and do not come out of the store's inventory.

5. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Correct. However, with all the activations and all, I wonder 3 hours may not be enough to take care all the pre-orders. I guess it really depends on the store.

6. ind0fo0 macrumors newbie

Ah, so the pre-orders are separate from the store inventory... That makes me optimistic...

Edit: There are 3 ATT stores within 7 miles. I think I will drive around at 7:45ish and see which looks most empty. Do all stores receive the same number of iPhones?

7. jmitch150 macrumors regular

jmitch150

Yeah thats what I found out today too....I was pretty happy aswell haha

8. dagomike macrumors 65816

Obviously depends on how many pre-orders they had, but my store manager told me when I ordered it's grab and go with iTunes activation. However, I'm transferring my 2G to my wife's line and converting us to a family plan w/ a FAN discount. Getting that all squared away is why I ordered through ATT to begin with, so who knows.

9. letsmod macrumors newbie

letsmod

they do not activate in ATT store, they will tell you to take it home and activate it, I waited in line last year and the year before,they want to get you in and out.

Activation will be murder, It took me almost 7 hours after I got my phone before I could activate itdue to server's being bogged down.

I pre-ordered from apple and will wait until saturday before I even attempt to activate, once you start the process your old sim is dead and phone wont do crap until it is activated

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

That is not true at the AT&T store where I ordered mine.

11. dagomike macrumors 65816

I'm bringing my MBP and Sprint card and will activate ASAP. :)

12. jgctx macrumors newbie

I thought I would add to this thread. I stopped by the store that has my phone late today to see if I might be able to get my hands on it.

Guess what...Nope.

Here is what I was told by a friend that works there. They have sold 112 pre-sales units and will start at 7am. They HAVE to activate in store. So no one is taking one home until they activate it. I think this has to do with people plans that are moving from other phones that might have MMS. Just a thought.

Should be interesting.

I will say this, I think the pre-order idea was great. Last year it was a total mess and you had no idea if you would get a phone. This year if you wanted one and ordered early it will be easy. ATT might have gotten that one right. Others that bought from apple are now at the mercy of the local delivery person. Before 3pm....thats a big time window.

Just my $0.02

13. kovalchuk71 macrumors 6502

Can we get a confirmation one way or the other? The conflicting stories isn't helping me at all haha. Its a "He said, she said" situation right now.