If you dont have a cc, you cant use the appstore

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by manapple, May 29, 2011.

1. manapple macrumors member

whenever i log in to download from the app store (the free apps) it asks me to review my account before i can download. and that eventually leads to a credit card entry point. now i dont have a cc. does this mean that i cant even get the free stuff on mac app store? or am i missing something here?

2. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

You can validate your account using an iTunes gift card if you don't have a credit card. Buy the cheapest one possible and use that. Even when the gift card has no more credit on it, your account will still be active and valid.

3. manapple thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but I am not from the US, and there are no gift cards available here. Is there any other way?

Coz then I would have to ask my dad for his cc, and as the card number stays there, its something he wouldn't like.

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Is that something you have actually checked? Because iTunes gift cards can be gotten outside the US from Apple stores and the Apple online store.

5. 3141 macrumors newbie

even with gift card asked for credit card info

Even though I have credit from a prepaid card, I am often asked to input my credit card details (security number) before it will allow me to update the apps I already own.

Is that normal?

6. startwithacow macrumors newbie

Re:

If he puts his card number in, then you download an app.. you will see an option appear for 'none' in the itunes account menu.

7. marc11 macrumors 68000

You can use Paypal or a debit card, it doesn't have to be a credit card. Paypal and debit of course can link to a credit card or checking/savings account.

8. marc11 macrumors 68000

Yes it is a security thing. Every so often I have to reenter my security code, I suppose it is an attempt to limit damage if someone hacks into your account and starts making purchases. It seems, after X number of purchases I am asked to enter my code.

9. Gonky macrumors regular

Gonky

I have never had a card linked to my account and it works fine, I get none of these prompts.

I created an account for a family member by signing out in iTunes, searching for a free iPhone app and clicking download which lets you sign up without payment credentials.