If you don't support IE with your site...

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
In being completely serious though... the only way to get long time users of Internet Explorer to switch is to make them angry that the sites they like look like crap in their browser and let them know that it could be so much better.

I updated where the page points to: http://www.w3junkies.com/too_cool.php and noticed that I made a mistake on the CSS and it should be position: fixed, not position: absolute (IE HATES fixed positioning :D )

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
works for me! did you post this before i wrote you that comment about updating it for fixed positioning? what browser are you using? (IE won't agree with the fixed position)

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
lol although I agree with this campaign/idea I can't see myself adding it to my own site because if a potential employer sees it I doubt it'll be a postive thing.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
mnkeybsness said:
works for me! did you post this before i wrote you that comment about updating it for fixed positioning? what browser are you using? (IE won't agree with the fixed position)
I'm using position: fixed, and it puts it in the right lower corner, but then it sticks to the page when you scroll instead of floating. This happens in the browsers I use (Safari and OmniWeb). The badge on your site floats just fine.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
iindigo said:
I'm using position: fixed, and it puts it in the right lower corner, but then it sticks to the page when you scroll instead of floating. This happens in the browsers I use (Safari and OmniWeb). The badge on your site floats just fine.

I just looked at your CSS and it says "position: absolute;" you should have it say "position: fixed;"

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Excellent idea.

I was thinking of doing something along the same lines for my site, but never got around to it.

This is going on my page in the morning!

:D

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
dornoforpyros said:
lol although I agree with this campaign/idea I can't see myself adding it to my own site because if a potential employer sees it I doubt it'll be a postive thing.
That's why I won't put it on portfolio or professional sites... sadly. :(