Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MK25toLife

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Wow so what you're saying is that since I have a corporate discount on my current AT&T plan I cannot use it on the new iPhone plan?

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Wow so what you're saying is that since I have a corporate discount on my current AT&T plan I cannot use it on the new iPhone plan?
No, what I am saying is that you, in your situation, cannot buy an iPhone at the Apple Store. The Apple Store can't sell you an iPhone if you have any sort of business/corporate discount associated with your account.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
they did release it..it's been all over the message boards that if you have any discounts you have to go to AT&T
Yes, but the problem is that some people (like me) had discounts in the PAST and there were still traces of this on my account. That's why I said if you EVER had a corporate discount, you should contact AT&T before going to an Apple Store.

And not everyone reads message boards.

The fault here is with AT&T; Apple should not have to be telling people "you need to go to the AT&T store". They should be able to simply call AT&T and have the offending discount removed, as I and others have done.

thestaton

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
hmmmm... does this mean no more military discount? if so :( I might just stick with my current iPhone until it falls apart. 15% off is no joke and really adds up.

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
well, it looks like Im just going to have to wait until things calm down before I get a phone as att stores have s**t for stock anywhere. which really blows for corporate customers. I dont want to deal with having my fan# removed and reapplied etc.:mad:

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
I had a discount through my university. Like others I got the "IRU" error and was unable to purchase an iPhone at first. We tried to call and have the discount removed from my account - and that was successful - but unfortunately the error still persisted. We finally tracked down someone at AT&T who knew exactly what needed to be changed with my account to get it work properly. Unfortunately, for reasons that no one seems to be able to explain, it is impossible for anyone at AT&T corporate to make this particular change to the account. It can only be done at an AT&T store. That claim seems nearly impossible to me. But whatever the case, it was clear no one that I spoke to at AT&T corporate had the means to make the fix.

Well, there was no way in hell I was leaving that Apple store empty handed, especially since they said that unforunately they could not reserve the phone for me if I left and came back. So what we ended up doing was creating me a brand new AT&T account, complete with a new number. This was just a band-aid fix to get me out of the store with a phone. Now I am tasked with getting my two accounts reduced to just one, and getting my old number ported to my iPhone. As soon as I can activate through iTunes I am going to call up AT&T and see if they can help me straighten it all out. We'll see how that goes.

mactree

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
This happened to me today too. I waited 6 hours, and was denied in purchasing my phone because of some 'fan discount' that I once had and was not even active on my bill. Apple allowed me to call At&t to remove the discount, but after 15 minutes of attempts to purchase the Iphone, it still showed up as an error on Apples system.

But Apple did give me a claim ticket and set aside an iPhone to come back again in a few hours. What a pain. This really is a horrible oversight somewhere.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
So I just called corporate customer care, and it took her like 10 minutes to remove the FAN discount and 'reboot' the account or something. She says it was a corporate account, and now is an individual account or something. So, I HAD the FAN discount, but now I don't and I'm not on a corporate account and it's an individual one.

Should I be alright?

(I'm hoping the Apple Store will still have a 16GB by 430 tonight)

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Yes, but the problem is that some people (like me) had discounts in the PAST and there were still traces of this on my account. That's why I said if you EVER had a corporate discount, you should contact AT&T before going to an Apple Store.

And not everyone reads message boards.

The fault here is with AT&T; Apple should not have to be telling people "you need to go to the AT&T store". They should be able to simply call AT&T and have the offending discount removed, as I and others have done.

Had my FAN# removed Wednesday(even verified it online) called both At&T and Apple yesterday and both said there would be no issue going to Apple. Go to Apple this morning and guess what? The "IRU" error....no 3g iPhone for me. This after 2+ hours on the phone with At&T and they couldn't do anything..

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Had my FAN# removed Wednesday(even verified it online) called both At&T and Apple yesterday and both said there would be no issue going to Apple. Go to Apple this morning and guess what? The "IRU" error....no 3g iPhone for me. This after 2+ hours on the phone with At&T and they couldn't do anything..

Well, it worked for some people who removed the FAN discount at least. I wonder why it didn't work for you?

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
So I just called corporate customer care, and it took her like 10 minutes to remove the FAN discount and 'reboot' the account or something. She says it was a corporate account, and now is an individual account or something. So, I HAD the FAN discount, but now I don't and I'm not on a corporate account and it's an individual one.

Should I be alright?

(I'm hoping the Apple Store will still have a 16GB by 430 tonight)
Yes, you should be alright.

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
the IRU is a certain kind of account. the IR part stands for Individual Responsibility, which means you pay your own bill. If you have that account I wouldn't trust going to an apple store as you probably will get the error. I know for a fact that is what my account is:(

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
the IRU is a certain kind of account. the IR part stands for Individual Responsibility, which means you pay your own bill. If you have that account I wouldn't trust going to an apple store as you probably will get the error. I know for a fact that is what my account is:(

Wait. I'm on a family plan. My dad pays the bill (I'm over 18 and am an authorized user). What do you mean?

Iron Chef

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2008
I havent read everyones posts, but wanted to share my experience with the hassle of having a corporate discount.

I was not told until I got to the Apple Genius who was helping me setup my account that they couldn't do it unless I removed my corporate discount first. (This was after being in line for 4 hours)

So what they did was give me a white iPhone 3G card which basically put my iPhone on hold, while I went and talked to AT&T. I walked to the AT&T store across the street where they wanted me to wait in this massive line, even though I wasn't buying an iPhone. So I ended up calling AT&T and taking care of it.

I went back to Apple's store and bypassed the line of at least 400 people to go get my phone. The iTunes activation was down so I went home with an iBrick.

However, it worked perfectly when I just plugged it into iTunes. No long waiting, no problems, it seems like Apple is getting things back up and running.

I'm noticing that PUSH functioning isnt working yet even though I setup my MobileMe account.

marksandvig

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
Got to the mall around 2 am.. about the 25th person in line.. was in the store from 8:30 am to 11:30 am trying to get att to remove and get my error to go away.. nothing would happen.. After about 10 fone calls all hope was lost and they told me the only way would be an att store.. So needless to say. I left empty handed and even more upset.

Righteous

macrumors member
May 4, 2008
I took a vacation day. Waited in line for over 7 hours. When I went to rung up they said you have a discount. Go to AT&T. That was it no arguing helped. I had to leave empty handed. I have the first ten iPhone too. I got royally screwed. Thanks apple willowbend!

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
so anyone with a FAN discount avoid apple? wow..that's lame...another lack of information

This was already a known thing. If you wanted your FAN discounts applied, you would need to go to an ATT store to have them used. Apple won't honour all of the other things associated with the FAN discount (discounts on accessories, upgrade fees waived, etc.). So you'd have to go to the ATT store.

BL.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
can you add the FAN discount after you buy and activate the iphone?

Yes. A lot of people are taking the FAN off, getting the phone, and then adding it back on. But it won't be fully applied until the next billing cycle. But if you have the FAN discount, why take it off? It won't work towards the purchase of the phone, so wouldn't it be non-trivial?

BL.

mactree

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
can you add the FAN discount after you buy and activate the iphone?

Yes you can. As I was trying to remove the FAN discount info from my account, the At&t representative said I would just have to reapply for the discount again after my iphone was setup and they would credit back my account anything that would have been discounted.

I went back to the Apple Store 3 hours after being turned down the first time, but I'm still getting the IRL error. They said they're hearing that for some people it's been an instant fix and others it can take up to 24hrs. (i'll be one of these for sure)

bperkins

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2002
GA
I did the same thing had it removed and it still kept erroring out. They even rebooted the Symbol device and it would still show the IRU error. I just checked my account the discount is not showing. Wonder how you were able to have it go through?

Just a note I called 611 in the Apple store and spoke with a rep that took the discount off. A couple min later I checked out. Easy..sorta

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Maybe I'm asking this wrong, so here goes again.

For those of you who are getting the FAN discount taken off your account, why are you having it done? Is there some other discount that you would get without it, then more of a discount when you add the FAN back on to your account?

BL.

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

bradl said:
Maybe I'm asking this wrong, so here goes again.

For those of you who are getting the FAN discount taken off your account, why are you having it done? Is there some other discount that you would get without it, then more of a discount when you add the FAN back on to your account?

BL.

simply put, so they can buy at an apple store instead of att

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

simply put, so they can buy at an apple store instead of att

So I am not missing anything. Thanks! :)

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.