Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
...with no sim card and minimal activity. This is NOT Photoshopped.

It died pretty much after I took this final screenshot of the usage stats. I honestly didn't think it would make it this long.

Heck, my iPod touch doesn't last this long if I don't use it.

Attachments

• IMG_0018.PNG
    IMG_0018.PNG
    39.2 KB · Views: 234

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
That really puts the EDGE/3G and screen-lighting battery usage into perspective.

No kidding. The background running processes don't seem to put much strain on the battery unless they're accessing internet data. I was really trying to go for 20 days and I ALMOST made it... it died only about 30 minutes after the 10% warning, which was kinda weird.

larrybeo

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Chicago
An undeserved bad rep..

It is a shame how "everyone" complains about the battery on iPhone. What other device with all of the iPhone's capabilities can run longer? A laptop? I think not. Being able to *talk* on iPhone for 3 hours straight without noticing any drop in battery is quite impressive. No one seems to talk about how long the battery lasts if iPhone is used only as a cellphone. Apple marks it at 10.5 hours of talk time - which is phenomenal! :apple:

Ekelon

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2009
Yea I love the iPhones battery. With probably about 20 hours standby and a couple hours usage it'll burn it down to like 40-50% each day but then I can just charge it back. I already have a 2100mAh Volta charger (purchased for only $21 on Amazon) for my 5G 80GB iPod but it works for my iPhone too so I can bring it if I know I won't be able to charge for longer than a day. Once the Mophie Juice Pack Air comes out, I'll get that too, so it'll be nice.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
Yeah, I was traveling in South America with my iPhone in Airplane mode.

It lasted crazy lengths of time, even when using it as an iPod all the time.

Rob Mclovin

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
img00011o.png

Lol, not photoshopped. Just tryed putting my clock to 2017, and it worked. Been using my iphone for quite a while now!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Yea I love the iPhones battery. With probably about 20 hours standby and a couple hours usage it'll burn it down to like 40-50% each day but then I can just charge it back.

I usually get about 8-12 hours standby with 3-5 hours use before it's totally dead.

But hey, I can just "charge it back!"

No, wait. Saying that doesn't make everything better. :mad: I would like the next iPhone to have a better battery, thank you.

Zyniker

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
I usually get about 8-12 hours standby with 3-5 hours use before it's totally dead.

But hey, I can just "charge it back!"

No, wait. Saying that doesn't make everything better. :mad: I would like the next iPhone to have a better battery, thank you.

You need to talk to someone other than Apple for that to happen. Sure, Apple does do some battery design, but Apple is nor primarily in the business of inventing new batteries for mobile devices. Go poke a chemical engineer. ;)

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
So you own an iPhone and chose not to use it for 3 weeks to prove how long the battery lasts if you're not using it? Why? Just curiosity?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
So you own an iPhone and chose not to use it for 3 weeks to prove how long the battery lasts if you're not using it? Why? Just curiosity?

That's my OTHER iPhone... I have two.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
You need to talk to someone other than Apple for that to happen. Sure, Apple does do some battery design, but Apple is nor primarily in the business of inventing new batteries for mobile devices. Go poke a chemical engineer. ;)

They're the ones that rounded the edges of the back when they left the phone's first design.

As Apple's own videos for the Macbook Pro show, they're quite good at shaping batteries to fit in spaces. How much space did they lose by doing that, and how muc battery could have been crammed in there?

And what would an extra milimeter or thickness buy us? 1 hour? I'd say no thanks. 4 hours? I'd think about it.

I really don't know, but I'd sure like to know the answers to these questions.

iSaygoodbye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
a boat
...with no sim card and minimal activity. This is NOT Photoshopped.

It died pretty much after I took this final screenshot of the usage stats. I honestly didn't think it would make it this long.

Heck, my iPod touch doesn't last this long if I don't use it.

dang thats awesome

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.