If you grandfather iPad $30 plan, what about iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by powerbook911, Jun 7, 2010.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Hi

If you are grandfathered in to the $30.00 Unlimited iPad plan, what happens when the next generation iPad comes out?

Can you pop the SIM into it or login with your account details or something, or do you have to sign up for whatever plans they offer at that time?

Thanks!

2. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Considering they are going to drop ATT for iPad 2 and run it exclusively through the soon to be announced Apple Data Service, it will be a moot point.

3. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

You'd imagine you could just swap the SIM over to your new device.

4. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I wonder this as well. I will probably sell my 3G and get a wifi ipad 2.

5. Chimera-se macrumors member

I'm not even thinking about iPad 2 yet...I can only handle so much drama in one week! Lol. I'm grandfathered into unlimited on my 3G iPad, so that's enough for now I guess. I will be happy as h*ll though when the exclusivity is up!:D

6. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Thanks Guys.

See I don't even have AT&T 3G normally, but should when I move this summer, so I was just going to be smart and get myself grandfathered in early.

However, if the only benefit will be 8 months, it's not worth it.

It's being grandfathered in *YEARS* to future iPads that makes the $30 Unlimited Plan worthwhile, at least to me.

7. applegeek25 macrumors regular

applegeek25

One thought comes to mind... If you're grandfathered into the unlimited plan you should...

a) Make sure your e-mail address on the iPad account is ALWAYS current and up-to-date.

b) Absolutely 100% make sure that the credit card listed on your iPad account is ALWAYS current... expiry date, new card numbers, etc.

Don't give AT&T an excuse to cancel your account out for non-payment. :)

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

That however is making the unwarranted assumption that AT&T can't cancel the "grandfathered" plans at any time they choose.

The whole idea of letting current customers keep the originally announced plan is purely an attempt by AT&T to cover their @$$3$. Yes they're letting iPhone users who upgrade to the new iPhone keep their unlimited plan this time, but there's nothing that says they have to do that in perpetuity. For all we know next year's iPhone and iPad models could very well be cut off from the "grandfathered" plan.

Make no assumptions.

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

This.

The only guarantee with AT&T seems to be that there are no guarantees.