If you had a PowerMac G4 MDD laying around, what would you do with it?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tekboi, Mar 12, 2013.

1. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

Because that's the predicament I'm in right now. I have an new iMac that I'm in love with. And now I don't know what to do with my G4. What would you guys do with it?

2. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

sell it if you want some return on your money. Give it away or donate it if you wanted to feel good.

3. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

I'd sleep with it as my teddy bear and make love to it.. I know, gross, right? No, seriously... I would put it to good use. There is still plenty of power and life left in a dual 1.25 or dual 1.42 MDD or MDD FW800.

4. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

If it really is MDD and not FW800 and you would have some Mac OS 9 software which you for some reason can't or don't want to run in Classic Mode then I suppose that machine would be great OS 9 machine. I recently sold my Dual G4 1.42GHz and the buyer wanted me to downgrade the OS to Tiger and install Classic to it since he had some old OS 9 software he wanted to run. He had true need for that machine while I didn't.

But if you are asking what you should do with that machine then apparently you don't have true need for it. I own my iBook just for fun and don't have true need for it, but of course this can be thrown into the closet while PowerMac G4 takes a lot of space with all the accessories so owning a one just for fun is bit more difficult :)

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Put it in a box, wait 50 years and then sell it for $$$.:p

6. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Overclock it! G4s are known for overclocking.
    Try removing resistors,graphiccelarator and aticcelarator.

7. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

:confused:

8. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

The resistors can be desoldered to increase clock speed.

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I am not aware on other machines but on a Pismo you could overclock by connecting points on the CPU board, I know, I did but switched back soon, wasn't stable.(500 to 550 MHz)

10. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Yes, I meant that they are not that great overclockers in general. I have overclocked two of them, one was 733 to 867, anything higher caused machine not to boot. Second one was Dual 867 to 1000 with small instability.

So I dunno if they are "known for overclocking" the same way like Core 2 Duo is.

11. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

They do need a voltage bump fore more than 10-20%.

12. crewkid89 macrumors regular

crewkid89

If it's the version with FireWire 400 and not 800, you could dual boot leopard and OS 9 which would be pretty cool. You could also upgrade the graphics card and have pretty much any PowerPC or Universal Binary game be playable. I wouldn't mind having one of these for older software. My current situation prevents me from having a second desktop due to space and I need something that runs Adpbe Cs6.

13. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

I have two MDD's. One is mantioned in the sig and works 24/7 as a general purpose server (web, FTP, files etc.) the other's a backup, because although the first MDD works fine, I acknowledge that it is not necessarily 100% reliable.

Is it the most suitable machine for that task? **ll no, but it's a solid and affordable platform (once you add a SATA-card).

RGDS,

14. tekboi thread starter macrumors 6502a

tekboi

This was my first idea. Would be GREAT as a server. I've been having trouble finding a copy of leopard server. Guess i'll find something on amazon or something...

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I know someone with two dead MDDs so he's used them to make a little trestle-style table :)

16. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Leopard is not a cheap buy, and Leopard Server even less...
    I got mine with my First MDD (I paid 180 € for the LServer disks, and the machine was basically free).

Depending on what you want to use the server for, even a non-server OS might do. Some things like file&printer sharing, web sharing etc. are included in "basic" MacOS versions (see System preferences->Sharing for the included options).

RGDS,

----------

With a glass top? I've seen one of those made out of B&W G3's and one based on G5's.

EDIT: Hot da**! Someone's even making them for sale http://www.mactechnology.co.uk/apple-powermac-g5-dual-coffee-or-reception-table-16-p.asp

RGDS,

17. Frost7 macrumors regular

Frost7

Depends... if it was a FW800, especially a dual 1.42, I'd hot rod it just for sh--s and giggles because I love doing that, and that was a solid machine with some great compute power. If I didn't have my Quad G5, that'd be a fun machine to run old PowerPC games on.

If it was one of the early wind tunnel MDDs I'd just sell it though. Not much love for those, and the noise, sheesh.

18. Wildy macrumors 6502

If you will be using it as a home server you don't need any of the extra management features of Leopard Server. File sharing, printer sharing, web sharing and remote management are all built into standard Leopard (and Tiger?). If you need anything else, check out Macports - you will find most Unix software is available to you as well.

19. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

And if it is a FW400, use it for OS9!

20. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Lol. Lots of suggestions. I would use it to replace one of my 700mhz digital audio that I use for all my PowerPC games and software.

21. ppcfanforever1 macrumors regular

ppcfanforever1

I'd probably turn it into a wireless media server for the whole house to use. Never owned one wonder how it would be :/

22. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

'Not reliable' and 'solid' in the same post is an "oxymoron"

23. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Personally I feel that any machine which is used for any serious work should (especially on a 24/7 basis) should have a backup rig on standby.

OTOH,
    and
    are hardly the same thing.

Then again, words do have somewhat different meanings for different people, I do not feel that solid and not necessarily 100% reliable are an oxymoron (with or without quotation marks). If your understanding differs, you might ask me to explain my view (or usage of words) in stead of making snide remarks :)

RGDS,

24. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

This might be a late response but I bought my PowerMac G4 MDD with the intention to use it exclusively for iMovie '06.

The day came that I could make the first movie project on it and I didn't really like how iMovie worked, so I almost bought a copy of Final Cut Pro 2.0(?) but I didn't because I'd just go ahead and make my videos on my PC anyways.

What I do use it for now is GarageBand and to keep all of my music, along with my iMac G3.

25. hansolo669 macrumors regular

My MDD (FW800) is currently hanging out with 4 80gb drives in raid 0+1 (with a 40gb boot disk). Quit possibly one of the single most reliable computers I have owned.

Before that I used it as my main machine :cool: