If you had to buy a PC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KDR, Jul 28, 2011.

1. KDR macrumors regular

I might be forced to buy my first PC laptop in a long time. Hate to do it but it's probably my best choice for work right now. Our Dells lately have been horrible and I have no experience with the other brands. What would you guys recommend brand-wise. I want something small, powerful and reliable. In other words, as close to a 15" MBP as I can get.

2. udontno macrumors regular

udontno

3. cinek macrumors 6502

you mean windows laptop? you can run windows on your mbp can't see why you'd need a seperate laptop with windows

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Look at the Dell Vostro 3000 series. I'm using a 3450 right now and it's fantastic. Just make sure you trick it out with at least an i5, so you get the backlit keyboard too :cool:

5. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Dell makes some nice machines; the budget ones are to be avoided.

Lenovo's ThinkPad is a nice machine in most configurations.

Fujitsu makes an outstanding notebook, but they are quite pricey.

Samsung also has some very nice offerings.

What is your budget and what are your requirements (screen size, processor-type, dedicated graphics)?

6. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

Yeah, if you really don't want to give up your Mac for work purposes just go with Boot Camp or a virtual machine, as long as you don't see any problems with that. Otherwise, there are plenty of good Windows laptops out there. In my opinion, Windows gets a bad name because people run it on terrible computers. There's nothing wrong with Windows 7, I just prefer OS X.

7. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I have a Dell Inspiron 531 I use for my home security system. It's been running pretty much non stop since 2007 with no failures. I think they make decent reliable machines.

8. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

If money is not the issue, I highly recommend a Sony VAIO Z series notebook & opt for their 1920x1080 screen option! :eek: I currently have one (the VAIO Z 2010 model with that FHD screen) & it is just amazing, especially when watching Blu-ray movie discs. Having used that notebook daily as well as my 15" unibody MBP, I sometimes wish that Apple would offer such high resolution screens on their 13" MBPs so that I can replace my current MBP with it. :eek:

9. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Every PC manufacturer goes through quality trends. Dell used to be good but are going through a slump right now. The best brands and least returned names as of lately are HP and surprisingly Samsung. I say and know this because I put a lot of research into it before I was converted to Mac.

10. iReminisce macrumors newbie

I'm a hybrid user myself, and I actually just sold my XPS, but ONLY because I completely migrated my Windows work to my MBP. My XPS laptop was one of the best I'd ever owned. But as many have mentioned, you can Bootcamp your MBP if you don't want to buy another computer. But if you need to buy another:

Dell XPS line
    Lenovo - built like tanks
    HP Envy - they designed them like MBPs

11. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

Don't get HP unless you go to the business side of their brand.

I had a DV6 for 2 years, and it broke 4 times on me. 2 Hard drives, one motherboard failure, and a burned out GPU. :eek:

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

13. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

They still make the ThinkPads rather well. I don't know about the rest of the line, though.

I just received a Lenovo ThinkPad 420. It is a sub-$800 notebook and is more than adequate for office/productivity. Lightweight, great keyboard, the mouse-nub which is great for MS Office. Battery life is good. The 14" screen is adequate (the HD+ is at 1600x900).

Personally, I like having my work's work separate from my work. ;)

14. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

15. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

One of the HP business range.
    One of the Lenovo's business range.
    An Alienware M14X.

16. RoskO macrumors member

If you are looking for super reliable (IMO).

HP Elitebooks (check craiglist, you can get i5s or i7s for $500 quite often).

Lenovo thinkpad 420/420s are great 14", great battery life and usually not a bad price directly from them.