If you had to choose given these circumstances...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bozeefus, Apr 20, 2009.

1. bozeefus macrumors member

Initially, I had plan on getting a Macbook pro -- early 2008 model-- as documented in another thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=7490406

The seller was willing to sell for $1,000 with the 1 year warranty good for several more months. No physical damage since it's only about 6 months old (although I have yet to check this out personally).

however, i started thinking. why do i need a macbook pro? of course, the price is attractive but do i really need one? i only do word processing, web surfing, video streaming... i have outgrown the age where i find computer games fun (although sometimes i wish i could play WOW or some mmorpg again :)) so having a dedicated graphics card is pointless. i am happy with my current macbook and my mini 9 hackintosh, both which fulfill my needs very well.

i had plan on getting this and giving my old macbook to my sister but now i think i should just get her a unibody macbook (the newest model). her computer usage is similar to mine so the unibody macbook would suit her nicely.

however, it's just the damn price of the macbook pro that keeps me from doing otherwise. i understand this post is long and dragging and i probably put every viewer to sleep, but if u were in my shoes, what would u do?

get the macbook pro for $1k, maybe even cheaper with some more haggling
    --or--
    get the unibody macbook for $1250+ 125tx?

edit: a more technical question. comparing this macbook pro to the unibody macbook, which one is "faster" at performing tasks similar to the ones listed above?

i sincerely apologize for this long winded post :p

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

3. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

I think you'd be much happier with the build of the unibody as well as the glass trackpad.

4. Cboss macrumors 6502

Just for another view point I'll say go for the MBP. It is faster than your current MBP(although not much for your needs), has a larger screen, and is cheaper to boot. I wish I could find one that cheap somewhere even though my MB also fits my needs nicely.

5. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

Seems to me that you are leaning strongly toward unibody. I'd follow that instinct.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I would get the MBP. Not for the dedicated graphics, not for FireWire, but for bigger and higher quality screen and for backlight keyboard.

7. macjay macrumors 6502

I would choose by the size you prefer.

For me, a 15" laptop is too big so a MBP would not tempt me at any price.

8. desiringGod macrumors regular

Unibody refurb for 1099 + tax at Apple

1299+tax for the 2.4 version

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Size is the dominant factor here. I'd go for the unibody MacBook because I already have an iMac.

But if it's going to be my only/main computer, I'd get the 15".