if you have a 2009 MBP, how long is your boot time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kidwithdimples, Mar 11, 2011.

1. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

2.26GHz, 4GB, 500 GB

Mine takes about 30-40 secs :/ I'm not sure why. I don't have much things in the start up. Only two small apps.

2. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Your not going to get much faster without a ssd

3. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

For comparison I have a 2006 MBP, 2.16ghz, 2gb ram, 320gb 5400 rpm hdd. It takes 44 seconds to boot, and 4 to shut down running Snow Leopard.

4. paleriderc2d macrumors member

Hardware creates limitations that even the most streamlined and efficient software cannot overcome. Even if you stripped an OS to its bare essentials for quick boot time, eventually you will have start other programs or processes when the need arises. Starting everything on the front end is the most expedient way to boot a computer.

A hard drive is extremely old technology, and even though you can get faster hard drives, there is a limit on how much information can be accessed based on the technology. Its like a Cessna versus a P51 mustang. Both use prop driven technology, but despite the P51 being faster, it cannot achieve speeds that a newer technology offers (a jet engine).

5. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

my machine (see sig) boots in about 30-40 seconds and shuts down in about 2-5 seconds.

as the other posters stated - nothing will drop that time significantly like a SSD