If you have a 2011 15" MBP... There's hope!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matty1551, Dec 5, 2014.

1. matty1551 macrumors 6502

I picked up my mbp from its second logic board replacement within a few months. It was still under warranty from the first depot repair.

Anyway, when picking it up the genius told me that if I have ANY problems, to come back in and they will most likely be able to offer a more permanent solution.

He also volunteered the info that they are aware of gpu issues with this model but he was technically not supposed to mention any of this to me.

Anyway, my suggestion is pay for the depot repair so you have a warranty and if you continue to have problems you'll most likely get yourself a newer replacement.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's no permanent solution, the GPU will fail once again, unfortunately :(

3. Coola macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info, I bought my MBP 2011 refurb in 2012 so the warranty it had expired. It's now experiencing gpu issues. I barely get by playing YouTube videos before it crashes on me.

If I understand this correctly:

- Get a 'depot repair', and it will come with another warranty on it.
    - Then if it fails again, they might be able to work on a more permanent solution?

Also, how much is a depot repair? thanks!

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's two ways to address this issue.
    1. Replace the logic board. This is what apple does, and it gets replaced with the same logic board with the same solder which will eventually crack and fail.

2. Reball the logic board and the solder should reflow where it needs, again due to the heat, the solder will crack and fail.

If apple could have effected a permanent solution, don't you think they would have done that with the
    2008, 2010, and 2011 models? All of which have a history of failing discrete GPUs

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

My understanding is that the genius is implying that the OP might get a replacement machine if it fails again. That is the only permanent solution that exists after all.

6. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

If you can find a service that re-balls with leaded solder, the odds of repeat failure decrease dramatically.

7. matty1551 thread starter macrumors 6502

A depot repair runs you $300 in the states. It comes with a 3 month warranty on the entire computer. If things are really as bad as I've been reading lately, I'd say odds are pretty good it will fail again within the 3 months.

None of mine outright failed, but I got occasional graphical glitches (early failure) that I was quick to take pics of as proof when taking it into the Genius Bar.

I think it's 2-3 repairs and then a new computer, but I don't know. I'm sure employees aren't allowed to talk about that stuff. Hence why he was so vague.

8. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

Yup, that's what was offered to me. After the 4th replacement though.

9. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

My third logic board is now failing on early 2011 mbp. I agree the only fix is a new mbp as all my replacement logic boards have failed. They will never get rid of me until they do so.

I don't care how long it takes, I am not going to back off until it is replaced.

10. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

I am 'luckily' only on my 2nd Logic Board, and the first was replaced because of a bad RAM slot.. I am hoping to limp along for a while yet, but am somewhat expecting a meltdown as so many seem to occur.. :confused:

11. Coola macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers, a few more questions if you don't mind:

- Is this only available through an Apple retail store via their Genius Bar or can I go to an Apple certified repairer place?

- Closest Apple Store for me is about 100 miles round trip, how long did the depot repair take?

12. lionkin macrumors regular

lionkin

I hope they give you new rmbp for permanent solution. My logic board fail 5 times till Apple genius bar offer me brand new rmbp. I am hoping for every 2011 owner of 15inch or 17inch macbook pro's.