If you have a desktop, what is your portable gadget?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to Mac Hardware' started by gc15, Mar 16, 2017.

1. gc15 macrumors regular

I built a gaming pc a year ago and used it for my primary computer needs. After my MacBook Pro 2011 died it really made me think do I need a laptop since I don't use it for work and I'm graduating this May, so I don't need a laptop anymore for school.

So far I have been getting by with just my desktop for serious use and my iPhone for the go and portability around the house. I have been thinking about getting something a little extra for portability with extra battery life, either that be a chrome book, iPad, or a MacBook 12 inch.

I'm just curious for people who have a desktop as their main device, what do you use for portability, and if you use more than one, which one do you prefer the most.

2. keeper macrumors 6502

3. Partron22, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017

Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

Just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 for $300 (8"model) at Best Buy. That's down from $400 last month.
    2048X1536 AMOLED display, decent battery life, Android Marshmallow. They're coming out with S3 soon.
    With a 128GB SD card it's good for vids, music, books, surfing mail etc. Nice "keyboard". Got the WiFi model, not G3.
    Have a phone for that. Comes with MS Office installed. Lighter than an iPad mini (265 vs 300g), it fits in my hand, and I can use it for long periods without fingers cramping. Nice responsive product, with an upfront file system that makes me like it much more than my wife's iPad.
    This is a good end of product life deal. I hear the S3 will start at $600.
    I've also got a 2012 Nexus, too old, a 2016 nook, good reader, but bad for surfing, A gen 1 iPad for playing music in odd places. My iPods don't get used much for anything but audiobooks anymore.
    After a real Mac Mini failed to materialize last year, I went w m900 Lenovo tiny. Like it a lot, but hardly portable.
    The battery on the Samsung has yet to explode, and I've yet to find any reason to root the thing. Everything I need in a portable seems to "just work" with it. HD's kybds, mice, hubs etc will plug with a $9 USB adaptor cable.

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

For normal, everyday stuff, my iPhone does everything I need and it doesn't weigh me down.

I spent almost a month in Europe last year and only brought my iPad mini with me. I used it to watch some videos (streamed and local), a bit of music, VNC to my home system, some light browsing. I found it perfect for travel.

Nowadays, I really don't have a need for a laptop when I travel anymore. The iPad has proven to be light, durable, and capable enough for my modest needs. I can probably get by with just an iPhone but the slightly larger screens of the iPads makes watching videos much more comfortable...

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

6. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Day to day, out and about, I carry my iPhone SE.

On holiday/business I carry my iPhone and have my iPad to hand if I should need a larger screen.

I guess one day when my Mac Pro finally gives up the ghost — or the Apple Display flickers off from its mortal coil — I may go the laptop route.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

iMac is my desktop and the Surface Book is my go to device when I travel

8. MadDane macrumors 6502a

I use my iMac when at home. On a day-to-day basis I use my iPhone 6 and for travel or around-the-house use I have a Surface Pro 3 :)

9. ozaz macrumors 65816

In addition to my smartphone, I routinely carry around both a convertible laptop (ThinkPad Yoga 260) and an iPad mini. Combined weight of these two devices is only 1.62 kg, which is significantly less than the weight of the laptops I used to carry around only a few years ago.

I like the ThinkPad for work and the iPad mini for reading and watching stuff whilst commuting.

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Still have a Windows desktop PC but that is in the self storage because I'm using MBP and I have an iPhone 7 Plus for day to day basis also iPad Pro 12.9 for traveling.
    For you OP, you can always find cheap Android tablet at Amazon. I still have LG G Pad F 8.0 just for fun at home and travel too.