If you have a SDD drive, would More RAM help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Phycoduck, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Phycoduck macrumors regular

Phycoduck

I have a small question which probably has been answered already.

If you have a SSD drive, would upgrading the RAM from 4GB to 8GB make the computer run faster?

Duck.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Depends on what do you do. RAM won't speed up unless you need more of it so computer with 2GB RAM with 500MB free is as fast as computer with 8GB with 6.5GB free.

Keep your eye on Activity Monitor and see if your RAM usage is over 75% most of the time. If it is, then it might be worth it

3. kasakka macrumors 68000

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

That is also my experience. An SSD and enough RAM make VM's fly.

5. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

It can, but if you don't need it it's just a waste of money. Wait and see if your computer lags when you have a bunch of things running at the same time, it will help with multi tasking. If you have 2gb, you'll probably want 4. Most don't need more than 4 (I may...), but don't get more than 6 it'll be a waste, especially for 32 bit stuff.

6. Phycoduck thread starter macrumors regular

Phycoduck

Thanks all for your response.

I already have 4gb, which Parallels uses 2gb and filemaker / other programs have to suffer.

will see the performance after i swap the hard drive and will let you know.

Thanks again.
    Duck.

7. Shaman Beloved macrumors newbie

Here's a good test with different cases (4/8 GB ram, HDD/SSD):

http://macperformanceguide.com/Optimizing-MacBookProCorei7-Combined.html

That's just Photoshop though, but it gives a good idea how the options work. Now already the "diglloydSmall" test is a quite ram-hungry one, exceeding 8 GB. But as the swapping, after the ram runs out, happens on a really good SSD instead of an HDD, the 4GB/SSD combination is almost as good here as 8GB/HDD. Even more so with more load. The SSD is "not quite ram", but makes a fast virtual memory (and dozens of GB of it).

Therefore, adding the everyday snappiness, application launching, zero noise, etc. of SSD's, it seems to me like a better upgrade than 8 GB ram. The ram and a decent size (120 GB) top of the line SSD also cost about the same (here in Europe — I think the ram could be found for less in the US though).

So to your original question: if you can afford both, yes it helps — some. But after the SSD, not that much :p Bottom line: much worse performance per dollar upgrade now than the money you already put into the SSD.