If you have an iPad and an iPod Touch...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HappyDude20, Apr 30, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Do you find the iPod touch useless now for the most part?

I can't really comfortably browse the web with the iPod touch. At least not the same way I can with the iPad. But then again I can easily take the iPod touch out of my pocket hen walking around. And the iPod touch can easily connect to my car to play music. But in the end it seems like the iPad has taken the place of both my iPod touch and MacBook.

2. FirePak macrumors regular

I don't think ours is useless, it just feels incredibly small when I go to use it. My wife has been using it more lately and she enjoys it. The iPad has taken over about 95% of what I do on my MPB.

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Same actually. I was just thinking about how useful it is when I use it as an mp3 player. On the go.

Though the iPad has made my mbp just collect dust. But admittedly still also use the MacBook when I gotta do some heavy lifting.

Perhaps I just feel spoiled having all 3.

4. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

The iPod Touch is so portable, I just stare at it sometimes and think, "Wow, that is one amazing computer. What it can do for the size is absolutely incredible.". I will usually play a round of Street Fighter 4 on it while waiting for my YouTube vids to load on the iPad.

5. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

Of course not. The Touch is still the king of portability.

6. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

I've always thought of the iPod touch as ... well, an iPod. I don't use apps on it very much, due to the lack of 3g. I use it to play music.

That's still very much its role - there's more overlap between the iPad and the MacBook than between the iPad and the iPod, in terms of how I use the devices. I'd only use the iPad for music if I'm out somewhere using it for other stuff and forgot to bring the iPod. I only synced a couple of gigs of music to the iPad.

I don't know yet whether the iPad and Nexus One will start to feel duplicative. But the Nexus One is within 5 feet of me 95% of the time. That's not practical with the iPad.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

8. trsnrtr macrumors 6502

trsnrtr

Agreed. It's hard to strap an iPad to your arm while jogging. :D

9. Sdevante macrumors 6502

I had both a Touch and an iPad. I have since sold the Touch.

It seemed like they were duplicative of each other, with the larger screen on the iPad clearly winning out.

The only thing I miss about the iPod was the portability, but, I have since found a good case for my iPad so I can still bring it in my car and connect bluetooth to my headunit. Once I get more familiar with the different layout of the iPod app, I have a feeling I will not be missing my iPod at all.

Fwiw.

10. kallyq macrumors regular

I also really only use my iPod touch as an iPod. I just recently started to use it for more in anticipation of the iPad. But really, I have it for music and Kindle books.

11. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I will likely buy another iPad at some point in the future, when and if the internet catches up with Steve's vision of how I should use the thing. But while we had it, I noticed my wife still used her iPhone for 'quick checks' of things like the weather, etc. This could partially have been due to the fact that our alarm clock doubles as a charger so the iPhone was always within reach right before bed or first thing in the morning.

I still would feel funny taking an iPad with me to the grocery store or hardware store or any place where I am going to be highly mobile and need to quickly reference information. Its a two-handed device and apps like RedLaser (which I use a lot), Chipotle ordering, quick calculations or conversions (again, I use this feature a lot) or even simple checklists just seem like overkill for something the size of an iPad. I mean I wouldn't have carried a 3-ring binder when a simple notepad would have worked just fine either in the old analog days.

However, I can totally understand an iPad replacing use of a computer for web page consumption (minus the F-word sites of course). If you need to be surfing the web for long periods of time, I couldn't imagine doing so on an iPhone.

12. FlashHead macrumors regular

I never liked surfing on my iPod Touch. Still, the iPod touch still never leaves my pocket (for a variety of reasons The iPhone never made a lot of sense for me, so I never got one.).
    It also goes with me to the gym and is, of course, my main source for music and spontaneous gaming.

The iPad has replaced my MacBook Pro for 90% of what I use a computer for, surfing, e-mail, calendar, video when I'm not in front of my t.v. and now my only mobile Internet with 3G. It also goes with me to meetings and is my first choice for consuming visual media.

Sure, there is a lot of overlap in their functionality, but for practical usage, they definitely both have their own roles.

13. skinsone macrumors regular

First time poster here and from my iPad no less.

We have a MBP, MB, two touches and now a 3G iPad. My grandson asked last nite what I was gonna do with my touch. Keep it of course.

I stopped our local newspaper so I could read it from this. I also will be downloading some books.

But the best is that in the case my iPad fits in my handbag.

I have a Verizon chocolate touch but the internet is horrible on it. I thought about waiting to get the iPhone in June, but decided that the iPad would be a better match for our life style. No regrets yet, except that my grandson will be wanting to use this.

We are going to Richmond for the Sprint cup race today and we're taking the iPad.

14. p-rice macrumors regular

Since owning the iPad, I rarely use my iPhone for apps and internet anymore.