if you have had your 15" MBP 2016 for a while

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nph, Apr 20, 2017.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

Have you gotten used to the keyboard or learned how to type so it doesn't echo through a room?
    I need to use this for personal and professional use so be able to type without disturbing a full room is important to me.

2. leman macrumors 604

We are four people in the office, two of which have the 2016 MBP and two older models. Can't claim any noticeable difference in the keyboard noise in day to day use.

3. tryrtryrtryrt Suspended

No and no and it still bothers me. But colleagues are not complaining, I mean it's noticeable, we have a laugh about it here or there but not THAT annoying.

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

When I want to be quiet it's fairly easy. Anyone who has played piano a little will probably find it natural enough to type more softly when wanted. Most of us type forte when not thinking about it.

5. tryrtryrtryrt Suspended

Your fellow piano player here. Does not help much with MBP'16 unfortunately. :(

6. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Just treat the keyboard like what you're typing is marked ppp!

7. xsdeus macrumors regular

I've never found the new keyboard to be any louder than the previous versions, but I also play piano. Don't know if it's personal preference.

8. tryrtryrtryrt Suspended

Does not help! Advise further!

9. Brammy macrumors 65816

It's louder. I've gotten a few looks in a class when I'm typing on it. I'm going to spend some time this weekend seeing if I can lighten my touch more to decrease the noise.

10. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Cotton in the ears is your next step.

11. tryrtryrtryrt Suspended

Isn't it a little too invasive to insert cotton into others' ears due to Apple's fault? What did your colleagues say when you tried it?

12. Sanpete macrumors 68020

My colleagues don't need it, but yours will undoubtedly thank you.

13. tryrtryrtryrt, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017

tryrtryrtryrt Suspended

So you've forced it on them?!

14. darkmaxdevil macrumors member

Yeah, tell me about it. A few guys in my office even carry around mechanical keyboard. When they start their programming session, it quite like a symphony playing in the office just the instrument is the keyboard. And also half the office already switched to 2016 MacBook Pros myself included. Not finding the new keyboard loud at all. Haha

15. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

I am sitting in an office of ten people and I can hear their keyboards more than they can hear or notice me typing on my 2016 15" MacBook Pro.

16. jerryk macrumors 68020

I just moved to my Whisper Room recording booth and no one complains any more.

My videos are a tad noisy though.

17. tryrtryrtryrt Suspended

Top-tier state-of-the-art newest second generation Apple laptop keyboard is quieter than desktop mechanical keyboard. What an achievement. Oh god, Steve Jobs is rolling fast in his grave hearing this...

18. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

we all all use Dell Latitude E6430 laptops in our office, so there aren't any desktops or external keyboards.

19. tryrtryrtryrt Suspended

What a sad state of business - Apple's keyboard is being compared to Dells "of all people". :p As if anyone might've even expected it might be louder than Dell's. Oh boy.
    You don't understand the irony of your last post, do you? :)

20. JMacHack macrumors 6502

Just asked my coworkers, nope, none of 'em notice. I have said that I have a light touch in other threads though, so take that as you will.

21. leman macrumors 604

So, I just did some acoustic tests (really bad experimental design here, people, so its nonsensical, but at least):

2016 MBP noise emission when typing: 31dB
    2015 MBP noise emission when typing: 30dB

22. plexdk macrumors 6502

I don't think it's louder, it just has a higher pitched sound, when typing.. therefore more noticeable.

23. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the comments, I feel better now about buying one. honestly I don't expect Apple to change the design radically either. Maybe replace some material to ensure the "high pitch" sticking sound will go away.

24. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I don't find the sound of the keyboard near as annoying as those folks who seem to think it suitable to type with their phones or pads with the volume on and making that awful "pop" sound every character. Sounds like a Geiger counter :)

25. csurfr macrumors 6502a

Honestly, after the first few weeks of use I started to notice the volume begin to taper off. Could the keys be louder than the 2015? Sure. Could a lot of us be pressing harder than we need to based on the amount of travel required for other keyboards? Sure. It's a combination of factors.

I have been around others that have the same machine as I do, and I don't notice them typing much louder than anyone else.