If you have invisibleshield.... do you still need a case?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by andyACEcandy, Mar 3, 2008.

1. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

Just wondering because I may return this case I got and just use the invisible shield to keep my ipod touch thinner

2. kaenai macrumors newbie

It will protect against scratches, but if you think there's the slightest possibility you'd drop it, get a case. InvisibleShield will NOT protect against a fall.

3. streambeam macrumors newbie

I have both

I have the invisishield and the iskin case. Can't be to careful.

4. angenoir macrumors newbie

i would recommend a case. I have the invisible shield on the front screen and back. It does protect agaisnt scratches and finger prints wipe away much easier HOWEVER the grey edge will scratch even with the upmost care. I don't use case simply because i prefer for it to be as thin as possible but be warned. I've never dropped my ipod and i hardly ever put it in my pocket and there are small chips on that grey edge. :(

5. matthewr macrumors member

I've always been anti-case

I fall into the naked iPod touch camp. Someone else here recommended an Oakley sunglasses sleeve as a case, and I think it works perfectly. When I need to use my ipt, it's naked, but when it's in my pocket, it has some protection.

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I don't know, I've always used InvisibleShield on my iPods (4G iPod 20GB, 60GB Photo, 1G Nano 4GB, and now my Touch) but since I plan on buying a 3G iPhone this year (as soon as they're released in Japan!) I figured I'd be a little less careful with this iTouch and see what happened. I left the IS on the back of the Touch to protect the metal, but removed the front piece.

That was in December. Three months of heavy, daily usuage + cleaning later, still no scratches. I keep the Touch in my coat pocket every day, and I drain the battery completely every day - I use it ALL THE TIME. But, the screen is still pristine. And I would notice, in about a nanosecond, if there was even the smallest, hairline, hint of a scratch on it. I'm really particular about that kind of stuff.

I guess my point is, maybe the Touch needs less pampering than we're used to for an iPod. ;)

7. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I have an invisible shield on mine but I also have a DLO case on mine. I only use it when I go to the gym so I can clip it on my waistband.

8. henchosbandito macrumors member

i bought the griffin reflect case which i love. I have never used cases before on any of my previous ipods but i figured my ipt was a thing of beauty and i should keep it nice. The case came with a crystal screen film which has already saved the screen from several nasty scratches. Then the actual cover makes the ipt no bigger than the ipod classics - people often dont realise it has a case on it at all (which is weird)

I would thoroughly recommend a hard case though, you never realise how slippy your hands get on cold days in particular.

9. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

Slippy??? You must be from Pittsburgh.

10. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I have an invisible shiled, and feel really comfotable just laying my ipod around on any surface, or letting other people get the mucky hands on it, because i know they wont be able to scratch it. I have dropped my ipod touch on a few ocassions, and have still to see any damage. With my invisible shield i have no scratches atall.

I should also say, i have an ipod sock to slip my touch into when its in my pocket, akthough thats just because im clumsy and really likely to drop it all the time lol.

11. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I also have the reflect case that included the screen, but I soon took off that invisible shield and frankly, I am still happy with the glass. It is really a tough tough glass and it doesn't scratch or doesn't make fingerprints linger for too long.

The case itself, by the way, is really nice because of its REALLY tight fit. This and the inCase one are nice.

12. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I'm an IS fan usually (and you don't need a case for anything but added impact protection) but I've been using the Xtrememac Microshield since my third Touch and I prefer it over just an IS'd Touch for true 'I don't have to be really careful with it' protection while not adding huge bulk. The case ships with a screen film. It doesn't have to be the Xtrememac - there are other companies selling similar products, but a shell with screen protection is IMO a nice balance of handling / knock / abrasion protection in relation to bulk.