If you have kids, you NEED to upgrade!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Turnpike, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Turnpike, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015

Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

ESPECIALLY if you have little kids.

I don't have kids, but I upgrade on release day every time, and have for years... but I have a lot of family and siblings with kids, and while they try to be careful with money, they often use their phone for many years in a row. (I hear that kids are even more expensive than an Apple addiction) But phone cameras are getting so much better with every release, and since phones are becoming more and more "THE" family photographer, the sum total of your family photos will, one day, be only as good as the phone you had at the time.

I feel bad how at least 90% of my sibling's photos of their kids were taken with flip phones (they fit into that particular age group), and how half of those were lost everytime a phone got wet. And even as the big-spending uncle, the photos I took with one of the "cooler cameras at the time" are with Sony Mavica floppy disc cameras. I have a few sets of photos where I filled up a WHOLE DISC on one trip to the park- whoopie dooo. That's 24 grainy photos, where now on an iceream run I get my phone back from the nephew who stole it and I have 200 high quality photos of the inside of their ear, nose, the ceiling of the car and the back of my head. All with no effort and the few good pictures they happened to take by accident I keep because almost anything will be fun to look at years later.

Anyway, if there are any people out there who are on the fence about updating their phone and who have kids (ESPECIALLY little ones) I highly recommend you get a new one just so that in 15 years the zillion photos and movies you've amassed of your spawn are even 10% better quality than they will be otherwise. So while the jump from a 5s to a 6s might not seem that huge, in 20 years or so you will be glad for every 5% improvement of the photos (not to mention newer options like the chance to file away a panoramic photo of the livingroom they distroyed with toys everywhere, or whatever new features that will come out in the future like live-photo and so on). Those are the photos that are worth the most as time goes on, and after spending a few hours transferring a few more photos from floppy discs (I do a few every other day or so) trust me, you will be glad you did. If you have a pretty nice point-and-shoot or even a DSLR then even more so, because while you THINK you will have better pictures because of those cameras, when you look back, at least 90% (If not 99%) are still going to have been taken with your phone.

2. Surf Donkey Suspended

Surf Donkey

And yet everyone will still take vertical video.

3. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

Photos are appreciated much more for their memories than their resolution.

If you need to justify yearly upgrades, you probably need to search for a better reason.

4. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

WRONG! That kind of thinking exactly illustrates my point. There are a lot of parents with old phones who feel like they don't have a good enough reason to upgrade, or like you feel like they "need" a reason to "justify" an upgrade. My whole point is that all you see now is the tiny difference in the quality of camera, and huge price of a new phone. But it 20 years you will very much appreciate the improvement of the quality of photos. I say that as someone who is 20 years in the future (as I'm just now sorting through 20 year old photos).

And if the photos are appreciated for the memories, then why not improve the resolution too, if not only to remember things better yourself, but so that you can share those memories with others with nicer photos...? I'd LOVE a few photos from when I was a kid with realistic, sharp backgrounds where I could see all the things I remember or think I remember and how they actually looked, without the yellow haze of aged photos. The quality improvement will be worth more to you in years from now than it is today, yet the present day you is the only one who can do anything about it.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Whatever makes you feel you justified your purchase.

6. ldpm14 macrumors 6502

ldpm14

You win this thread. Nobody post anymore.

7. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

So old black and white photos are less memorable? Catching a spontaneous moment, but with a poorly lit, badly composed photo is less memorable? Silliness.

8. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Wow, I completely forgot about floppy disk Mavicas. I remember my mind being blown when my uncle got a mini CD-R Mavica that shot like 3.2 or 4MP photos. I feel like there's this hole in photography from like 1999-2005 where digital cameras were really crappy but everywhere. There are a lot better film photos of me as a kid than digital photos of me from late middle school into high school and early college.

We take a lot of phone photos of our kid but we also have a Sony RX100 for better shots without the bulk. I also have an old 7D that I'm probably going to upgrade to a Sony mirrorless before too long (I have a 5D MkIII at work that I often borrow for portrait shoots). But you're right, most people just snap photos with their phones. At least my kid knows what an actual camera is, lol. Speaking of which, I'm off work some next week. Perhaps I'll setup the strobes and get some family portraits. It has been a while!