If you have no qualms about opening your 2011 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AbeFroman77, Jul 7, 2011.

1. AbeFroman77 macrumors 6502

2. CHSeifert, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

You have to worry about how to control the fan speed - it will go to max when you change to an SSD because of lack of proper firmware. I think this issue can be solved however don't know how ?

3. monaarts, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

monaarts macrumors 65816

If you ADD an SSD to the existing HDD you would have 0 fan problems. I have a Vertex 3 120gb SSD with the 1tb 7200 rpm HDD and it actually runs quiter than it did before I added the SSD because there are no moving parts now!!!!! :)

Do it if your not afraid. Just make sure you put the SSD into the correct Sata port, otherwise the fan will run fast. It's worth it!

4. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

Did you use a y-splitter cable for the power?

5. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

I replaced the stock hard drive with SSD yesterday. The hard drive fan is spinning at 1500rpm constantly, which is near silent, no problem so far.

6. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Well

If you are using an SSD + HDD there is a good chance you are working on some bigger, more intense and resource-heavy stuff. I have smcFanControl running at a pretty high speed all the time on both my home and work imacs.

7. MoreAwesomeDanU macrumors regular

MoreAwesomeDanU

for those of you who added the SSD instead of replacing it with the HDD, what kind of mounting method did u guys use??

8. iLidz macrumors member

iLidz

I am about to do this install this weekend. For the '11 imacs your choices for mounting are limited right now:

1. Use adhesive velcro or double sided tape to stick the SSD to the chassis

2. Use an OEM pressure wall from a '10 imac (if you can find one, and you will have to trim/mod this plate to fit the '11 imac correctly)

3. Wait patiently for the OEM pressure wall from the '11 imac to become available for sale from a third party parts supplier.

I'm impatient and going with option 1 :)

9. portishead macrumors 65816

What if I just want to replace the Optical bay with a 3G SSD? Is it possible to have 1 3.5" drive, and 2 SSD's internally?

10. AbeFroman77, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

I noticed in the pics that the BTO SSD iMac has molded mounts for the SSD. Does the non SSD iMacs have these mounts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Cannot say enough how bad of an idea using Velcro is on anything that gets above 120F - it turns to goo and just falls off. Makes a lot of static, and leaves a really sticky mess behind.

If I did own a 2011iMac, and I did change drives - for an SSD, I'd wipe down some aluminum surface with a bit of acetone, and if the replacement drive was not painted - that too, otherwise some isopropanol to wipe down the replacement drive. I'd make sure the drive works 100%, and if it did, I'd then use some 3M VHB Grey tape to bond that drive to the wall of the iMac.

Yes, VHB isn't anti-static, but it does do a *fair* job transferring heat (superb contrasted against Velcro), but it holds up well with those temps, and can be removed (albeit with a lot of patience and care) - without leaving behind a gooey mess.

That's what I'd do... Unless a 3rd party mounting bracket could be found on the cheap.

Oh wait - I forgot, I'm freak - I wouldn't use tape. I'd probably use some Dymax 429 Gel UV-activated epoxy, and glue it to the computer using that. But how many people have UV activated adhesives and high-power UV sources kicking around their homes? Not many I hope.

12. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

13. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

My fans remain normal, even though I used a Y-splitter from the HDD power cable. Usually runs just under 1200.

I had double sided sticky tabs but forgot to use them. There's very little wiggle room for the SSD (my cables are a bit long, so kind of jammed in tight) and... yeah there's no moving parts, even if it does somehow move slightly, nothing bad's going to happen.

That said, it's a big task to open.

14. omvs, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011

omvs macrumors 6502

Its definitely possible - I bought an adapter off amazon to allow mounting of a 2.5" drive in a slim optical bay, though it required a bit of 'modifications' (ie, breaking off some of the plastic pieces) to fit. You're also limited to SATA2 speeds, though my SSD didn't support SATA3, so it was okay for me.

You will want to relocate the optical thermal sensor - I just stuck it onto the SSD case.