If You Haven't Bought Navigon Please Read This U.S.A Users

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rocknblogger, Nov 24, 2011.

1. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

If you're on the fence about buying Navigon here's something that might help you make a decision.

You can purchase the $19.99 regional version and buy the in-app Fresh Maps XL update for $24.99 and you will get the entire North America map set.

I did just this a few minutes ago. After buying the XL map update I was able to download all 50 states plus Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Canada and the Virgin Islands.

So for $44.98 you get the entire North America Navigon plus Fresh Maps XL for at least two years. That means the maps will update every four months for at least two years.

Hope this helps some of you make the decision. But don't wait too long I think the sale for everything ends November 27th.

2. Daytona 360 macrumors member

What's the difference compared to buying the Navigon North America right now? It is selling for 39.99.

3. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Yes but you wouldn't get updates, at least not quarterly updates and I'm not sure you would get any updates at. If you do it might be once a year. So for an additional $5 you get the Fresh Maps XL updates for at least two years.

Bottom line is you can get all of North America by buying the regional version plus the XL update for a decent amount less than buying either the USA or North America version plus XL update.

4. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

There's an in-app message that's a bit vague about future non XL updates. Here is exactly what it says:

FreshMaps: Prior to the launch of version 2.0, we provided eight free application updates with many new features, as well as two map updates. Existing customers who update to version 2.0 receive an included free map update with this version. This will keep the data current for some time. New version 2.0 customers will receive the latest map available when purchasing the app.

No mention of future map updates at all.

5. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

How detailed are the maps you downloaded?

Is it only for driving, would it be sufficient for walking, cycling, running?

6. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

The maps seem to be quite detailed. Also in the description on the app store page it says it has Extended Pedestrian Navigation but so far I can't seem to find it. Keep in mind I'm in the NY metro area so I would expect for my area the maps would be detailed.

7. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I found the different ways in which to get navigation and there is cycling and pedestrian options.

8. Mrfatboy macrumors 6502

Care to share how?

9. mpossoff macrumors 68020

What do you mean regional version?

And how and when do you purchase XL?

10. Mrfatboy macrumors 6502

They sell a west, central, and east region for cheaper. You are also able to purchase add ons such as the fresh xl maps, panorama 3d via an in app purchase.

I bought the north American version last week when it came on sale. I like it.

11. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Settings>>>Route>>>Route Profile Once in Route Profile you can change the type of routing you want. Your options are:

Car
    Motorcycle
    Truck
    Bicycle
    Pedestrian
    Pedestrian with voice

Hope that helps.

12. mpossoff macrumors 68020

You said to buy a regional then when you get fresh XL you can get all of North America?

13. Mrfatboy macrumors 6502

That's what original poster said. It's a loophole. But if it works seems like a good deal.

14. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Yes and while it may be a loophole Navigon is aware of this and says so in their in-app welcome message and they seem fine with it. They even encourage you to buy the XL update. It is a very good deal if you compare what it would cost if you bought either the USA version or North America version PLUS the XL update, especially if you consider what the regular non sale prices are. But don't wait because I'm pretty sure the 27th is the last day of the sale. It might be the 30th but you better check if you still want to wait. I know that somewhere on their site or maybe Facebook they tell you the date.

15. mpossoff macrumors 68020

What's total price with fresh XL?

And can I get just earthen and get fresh XL later?

16. Mrfatboy macrumors 6502

Right now East coast usa is now $20 and $15 for fresh maps xl.

17. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

No the XL update is $24.99 if you buy the regional $19.99 version (east, west, central) once the sale is over from what I understand the XL update will cost $49.99. This is on their website. All the XL updates are now half price.

18. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have been using it for some time. My only complaint is it does not parse the contact address most of the time. It drops the street name and house number. Any body have a work around.

19. Mrfatboy macrumors 6502

I just checked my "extras" in my navigon and the FreshMaps XL North America cost me $14.99. Are we talking about the same thing?

----------

There are 2 apps in the App store that you can purchase that works around address entry. The reviews swear by them. Search for Navigon Paste & Go. There is another. I forgot the name. If you do a app store search for Navigon both come up.

20. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I installed Navigon Now and it works as advertised. But seriously, Navigon should fix this problem.

21. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Which version of Navigon did you buy? Because all three USA versions have different prices.

$24.99 if you bought region east, west or central

$19.99 if you bought USA version

$14.99 if you bought N. America version

22. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

By the way don't confuse the in-app purchase of additional regions which do cost $14.99 each

23. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Here's a screenshot of the west region version and in-app options

Attached Files:

24. Mrfatboy macrumors 6502

I bought the north American version. That's why there is a price difference in the fresh maps xl.

On a side note, I hope navigon makes all maps (europe, mexico, etc) just addons. I don't like having to run different Apps.

25. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I'm going to request a refund as I bought a regional for $14.99 where I could have gotten USA for $29.99.