If you jailbreak, can you still backup your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LixLev, Feb 22, 2009.

1. LixLev macrumors regular

I'm tempted to jailbreak my iPhone, but was wondering. Can you still backup your iPhone the same way that you would a non-jailbroken iPhone.

Basically, what I'm asking is if I jailbreak it and a couple of weeks later I change my mind and go back to the normal software, can I restore the phone and still keep the text messages that I have received during those two weeks as well as the ones that I've had before.

Another thing is do I lose all my text messages and settings when I jailbreak?

Also, is syncing things like music still the same with Jailbroken iPhones?

2. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

You may find more help in the iphone hacks forum

As a general rule, I would back up my iphone first before jailbreaking

if the jailbreak fails, then you can do a full restore with your old backup

Just make sure your back up is 100% complete ( you want your last backup to be complete or else you will have problems restoring your iPhone)

3. LixLev thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Dr Cabrera, but the main issue of my query is whether or not I will lose all my SMS messages and settings when I jailbreak, or will they still be on the phone once jailbroken? I know I can back them up but does that mean that I will only have them for if I restore, or can I put them back on the jailbroken phone?

4. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Well, I recently jailbroke, and went back to stock - everything that was added during the jailbreak via default apps/means was backed up as normal. I even did a backup whilst jailbroken and all was fine.
    I think the backup doesn't even see the jailbroken bits.

5. angel1286 macrumors member

when you jailbreak and connect to itunes, it creates a backup as it would if your phone is jailed...itunes doesnt back up any jailbroken app data so you would be able to restore from a backup you created while jailbroken without losing any data i.e. text messages etc