Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
I need a good place to go take some landscape pics and do some HDR pics. Where are some good places?

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
You can never go wrong with Southern Utah, but the Great Salt Lake in the right lighting and weather can be beautiful:

Great Salt Lake Photos

HDR would be great there. Squaw Peak up Provo Canyon gives you a pretty good view of Utah County:

rain_on_the_lake.jpg

Those are good places to start....

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...there's tons of great places in the southeast part of Utah - Canyonlands, Glen Canyon, Natural Bridges, Rainbow Bridge, Arches (near Moab as mentioned above), Lake Powell...take your pick, all fantastic for the photographer. I'm actually heading up that way next weekend (Mrs. Duff-Man is more the photog than I am...I like to watch :eek:) ....oh yeah!

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
I think it depends on what you want to shoot:

Landscape: Southern Utah / Great Salt Lake
City: Ogden (There are a TON of old buildings and railroad)
Events: Salt Lake Arts Festival, Park City Arts Festival, Provo Freedom Festival, almost any of the small town 24th of July celebrations, Larry H Miller Speedway
Other: Utah has a slew of ghost towns that are still around in some diminished form or another. Also, hit Flikr for Utah photag groups and join them for a bevy of other venues.

There's a passel-full more...I'm just not the person to tell you everything else. Maybe some of the others will add....

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Zion National Park is far and away the most beautiful park in the state (possibly the whole country depending on what type of scenery you prefer).

I'm also a fan of the alpine areas around the Heber Valley and Midway.

Utah is a photographers paradise.

SLC

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Zion National Park is far and away the most beautiful park in the state (possibly the whole country depending on what type of scenery you prefer).

I'm also a fan of the alpine areas around the Heber Valley and Midway.

Utah is a photographers paradise.

SLC

I was going to say Zion as well.

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
We are pulling out first thing in the morning and will be going through St. George, UT tomorrow evening, but if I was going to be taking pictures, as others have said, I would go to the Southeast side of the state around Moab. Just about anywhere south of I-70 and you can't go wrong. If you stay for a few days in Southern Utah and have time don't forget the North rim of the Grand Canyon is not far away.

Jimmys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Well I am headed down to moab on thursday so I will post some pics when I get back

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.