iPad mini If you only had $300 to spend... Mini vs Nexus 7 (2013)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kadin, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Which would you buy?

I know I'll get a mostly biased answer here due to where I'm asking but hoping for some honest feedback based on all the info you're aware of. It's a gift for someone who has never owned any Apple/Android devices - phones or tablets.

iPad Mini 16GB $299 - Very simplistic. Bigger screen. Easy setup to sync with iTunes. Better App support.

Nexus 7 32GB $269.99 - Sharper resolution. Twice the memory. Lower cost.

The above is just what comes to mind when I quickly assess the differences. I've read about issues with the Nexus 7 which has me a tad squeamish but I'm really looking for the best 'value' for someone who probably can't appreciate many of the differences...

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I don't care about specs. It's words on paper. When using different tablets, none come close to giving me the experience the iPad does.

Buy the iPad.

3. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

also have to figure in resale value. Thats a big thing for me. if i can't sell it for close to what i paid in a year is a big thing.

4. xNYMetsx macrumors 6502

xNYMetsx

If you want specs go N7. If you want a wonderful experience go iPad.

5. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I'll agree that specs aren't normally a big thing to focus on but the things I think that are pretty vital in this scenario are the resolution/ppi and extra storage. Again, I'm not trying to push one way or the other but these two things seem like they'd make a good difference to anyone, right?

But I'll completely agree that the overall experience probably is better on the Mini so maybe that's the thing I really need to focus on...

Appreciate the responses!

6. zbarvian macrumors 68010

To be honest I think the N7 is probably the better value.

7. aluren macrumors 65816

I bought the N7 2013 just to try out Android and it just doesn't have the awesome user experience that the iPad provides. Some of the annoying things I've noticed are:

Auto-brightness of the screen just pops brighter or dimmer (not smoothly fading)
    Touch screen is not as smooth or responsive as the iPad
    Text size on Chrome is inconsistent (some text are large and some are small)
    Kindle app on the N7 doesn't allow me to change fonts

The high resolution screen, however, is pretty impressive for the price. But in the end, I'm going to sell it and get the mini retina.

8. tyche macrumors 6502

There is also the new Dell Venue 8 Pro. Full Windows 8.1 with latest Intel Atom quad core chip. $300 as well. $370 with case and stylus makes an attractive option.

9. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

This ultimately would be the best option in all honesty but due to time and cost, I can't do it. But I'll give them the receipt and if they want to upgrade in the next month, they'll have the option... :D

10. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I'll sell you a Nexus 7 2013, 32gb for $225

2 1/2 months old.

11. gman901 macrumors 6502a

Really simple answer- if you already have more invested in ios apps, get the iPad mini (even the non retina). If you dont , get the Nexus 7. I have both and the screen size on the iPad mini is well worth it over the Nexus. All the Apps are tablet based vs blown up phone apps.

12. Warcake macrumors regular

consider the aspect ratio as well. the nexus 7 is too narrow for usage in portrait mode, which is how i prefer to read stuff on my tablet. that is my main priority, and i choose the mini. im currently using a note 10.1, and i cant imagine using a tablet with a narrower display when in portrait mode.

13. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

Having used both I would go iPad mini simply based on usability. The nexus 7 has a nicer screen but its much too narrow and its hard to do much on it (unless all you do is games, video, etc.

14. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Personally, between those two choices I'd go for the Nexus 7. For what I use it (comics), I'd rather have the increased PPI on the Nexus 7.

Since it's a gift though, definitely the iPad mini. I won't be comfortable giving any Android tablet to a non-techie. Meanwhile, I've been able to give both my mom and grandmother iPads. I do all maintenance stuff on my mom's iPad and my aunt does so for my grandmother's but for normal day to day stuff, they don't need help using the iPad at all.

I think iOS is just more intuitive than Android.

15. DanTSX macrumors regular

16. isephmusic macrumors 6502

17. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

18. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

This.

19. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

+1. I actually just ordered one a couple of days ago to give to my niece as a gift. New shell, new battery, same 1-year warranty and probably better QC to boot. :p

20. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

This seems like the clear winning option and one I knew about and quickly forgot. Does Apple get those out pretty quick? I need it by the end of the week.

21. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I'm waiting for some more reviews on this device but frankly, it seems amazing and too good to be true! A tablet at that price running full Windows 8.1. Not Windows RT, not a mobile OS like iOS or Android, but a full desktop OS, meaning it can run anything that a laptop or desktop PC can run (albeit, on an 8" screen).

22. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Honestly I'm pretty fearful of Dell and that's one thing that my step-dad, who would be using this tablet, had direct issues with: Dell. I don't think I could convince him to try another Dell product after numerous issues with a laptop he bought a while back.

But I'll admit, it does look intriguing.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Get expedited shipping,

You haven't mentioned if the gifteee is technologically inclined. If they are, they might appreciate the customizability of Android. Otherwise, iPad would offer a smoother experience.

24. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

Hardware favors the N7, but app ecosystem favors the Mini. You have to decide which is more important.

25. The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

Neither.... yet

Let me tell you why.

I LOVED my Nexus 7 (2012) and regret selling it for my 2013 model "upgrade". Unfortunately, after getting 4 units with defective touch screens, I gave up on it. Google has not addressed the community with a response, so as soon as they do, and as soon as they resolve the problem, I plan on getting one with LTE. I personally believe the issues are hardware in nature, but we will see if Kit Kat fixes anything.

I am upgrading my 3rd Gen iPad to the new Air and I'd like to have a smaller, lighter tablet in the Android ecosystem for the added freedom. I am not loyal to any brand, they all have their pro's and con's, but I tell you what, I hope this is the last time Google partners with Asus for any of their future devices. I've had nothing but terrible experiences with them (besides their motherboards and routers).

Sources:

6 pages -

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/zEqstgT2ZT8[1-25-false]

42 pages -

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/W0Hfkq8hf-c[1-25-false]