If you only have an iPad - how does Apple expect you to sync your iPod?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by komatsu, Apr 26, 2017.

1. komatsu macrumors 6502

If you only have an iPad - how does Apple expect you to sync your iPod?

what workarounds do people use?

2. jamface macrumors member

jamface

3. komatsu thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know...maybe. Some users can be really creative in circumventing problems...

4. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Soo,how did you activate your iPad,and how do you back it up? All you need,is a cheap windows laptop,a home wifi network,and a free program called "iTunes ".

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You haven't needed to plug an iPad in to activate it for a long time and iCloud can be used for backups: None of the iPads or iPhones in our house have ever been plugged in to a computer and it's been like that for several years

6. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Ok,but then you need either a wifi or SIM cards in your devices. However,iPods can,depending on version,usually only sync with a computer.

7. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

I think apple figures that if you have an iPad, you probably have an iPhone already and have no need for an iPod. And if you're not very into new tech then you probably have a computer at home to plug an iPod into.

8. slingshott macrumors member

slingshott

This is a fair question. No iPods other than the Touch have wifi capabilities as far as I'm aware. The reality, unfortunately, is that Apple no longer cares about the iPod.

9. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

It's a pretty ironic situation. By Apple's old doing, there are situations for which you still need a "computer" rather than an iPad.

10. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

Spotify premium. Problem solved. Instant albums old and new. No syncing. I have a MacBook but its not for connecting iOS devices to. :p

11. Skika, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017

Skika macrumors 68030

If you only have an iPad, how do you get music on there in the first place?

12. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

You don't have wifi? Wifi predates both the iPhone and the iPad.

If you don't have wifi.... personally I would be more concerned about getting access to wifi than worrying about syncing without a computer. I would imagine anyone having neither wifi nor cellular data access having more basic day-to-day life concerns than fiddling with Apple gadgets.

13. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

How many people still have and use a classic iPod? Most people just use their phone for music now.

14. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Of course they don't care about a product thats less than 1 percent of their revenue. Probably a tenth of a percent . WHY IS THIS SHOCKING!?

If anyone still cares about an iPod chances are they have a computer sitting around to plug it into.

Apple doesn't care about floppies or CDs anymore either in case you missed that memo.

Things change, tech advances. Move on.

15. mk313 macrumors 6502

I have a mac, but to fill my iPod touch, I use the $25/year Apple Music plan (not sure what it's called, but where you load all yours songs on apples servers and download them to all your apple devices from there.

16. Chazzle macrumors 6502a

Chazzle

I believe a lot of you are assuming the OP has an iPod Touch, which is only one of a few iPod models and the only one that has Wi-Fi. You could try taking it to an Apple Store and asking if they could help you. I know they won't put your personal info on their computers, but possible they could help you use iTunes if you have purchased music at some point to sync it.

17. SYCAMOREGRAD macrumors newbie

SYCAMOREGRAD

All you need is internet access these days. Activate and backup to iCloud.

18. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Apple does not expect you to sync your iPod (classic) if you only have an iPad. Apple expects you to ditch your old iPod and upgrade it with a WiFi capable model. iPod classics are also incompatible with Apple Music and Spotify.

I have an iPod classic 160 that I use it in my car. When I need to sync music, I use iTunes with a computer, since it is the only way to do so.

19. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

I've never connected my iPhone or iPad to a computer - no need.

20. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

With out a computer how would you fix a very troubled iPhone needing to be reset in DFU mode?

Sorry but computers will not be replaced, for most, with an iPad. For me I can not ever see that happening.

21. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

apple music?

22. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I do. I need a standalone music player for using at work and there's no wi-fi in my office so my old 160GB classic is still be best tool for the job.

I've also got an even older 60GB iPod photo in my car.

23. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I know there are still some people who do. I was asking how many. You're in the extreme minority. There are always going to be people who need older technology for something.

24. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

25. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Considering how, despite still selling iPods, Apple hasn't UPDATED a non-iOS iPod since the iPod nano in 2012... 5 years ago... I don't think Apple's worried about people using iPods with niche use cases such as not owning a computer. The number of people with an old iPod, but no computer at all is likely very, very miniscule. Apple would rather move people to iPhone (or even iPod touch).

Oh right, I forgot because almost everybody needs to put their iPhone in DFU mode... Oh wait, I have never heard of anyone doing that IRL. Honestly, I would argue that vast, vast majority of people can do everything they need to on an iPad. I still use my MacBook (I'm on it now), but that's mostly because "some" things are easier and I prefer the keyboard. When my 2014 MBA dies, I don't expect to buy another Mac. But of course I don't expect that to happen for at least 3 years.