Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
I just got an Intel iMac, I will be using it with my PowerBook, can you give me some tips on how to successfully eliminate the disadvantage of having 2 computers? Basically I want things to be synced smoothly, what I need:

1. I use a .mac mail account (I want both macs to have the latest e-mails I have sent and received.

2. iChat, I think all I needed here is to allow multiple access.

3. Bonjour, it's great, can I rename my username on it? like "Desktop" "Laptop"?

4. I write many documents on my laptop, and when I'm home on my iMac, I save them into a folder I have made "Papers" now can I make a folder that syncs between both machines? like if I was in school, typing a paper, save it, place it in my folder, I don't wanna have to go home and transfer it manually to my iMac.

I know there are many people out there with a lot of experience using multiple macs, if there are anymore tips to make life easier, please share...thank you!

steveedge

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2005
Atlanta, Georgia
confusion

There are half dozen ways to synch machines, ranging from complicated to more complicated. The simplist method is to use your .mac account and it's back up feature as a server. In other words it could be your "master files" and you can update your machines to it....unless you have a large amount of files that will take a lot of bandwidth to keep synched.
The e-mail can be handled the same way. Use your computers to view your e-mail but make sure to leave a copy on the server.
This method has the added benefit of giving you extra back up of all your files. Just a thought. ;)

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I do this a lot.

It's not fancy, but it gets the job done.

I made my ibook my main computer. Everything goes there and the files are there first. My iPod is hooked up to this computer, etc.

Put all the files you need together onto one machine. Then when everything is all sorted and good, fire wire target disk mode one of the machines and update them.

edit: sorry if this makes no sense, i've got an ambien on bored, i'm soooo tired.

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
I have a PowerMac and an iBook and I have FTP enabled on both (Preferences > Sharing) and when I want some files on the other mac I just ftp in and download them. I also have a PC I built that is my entertainment center (tv tuner card, etc.) and I also upload things like websites I've worked on there.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Chronosync

I use an app called Chronosync that does two-way syncing of designated folders on my Powerbook and Mac Mini. For things like Address Book and iCal I use .Mac syncing.

1dterbeest

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
Waupun, WI
I have a firewire drive and I sync everything manually.
I'm also on a LAN with both, so i don't have to use the
firewire if both are connected to the network.

My laptop is faster than my desktop, which isn't the
deal for most double users. I use the desktop more
because of the larger screen and because I hate
hooking up all the cables to the laptop just to surf
the net and play my iTunes. I can leave them all
connected to the iMac!

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
I have a Powerbook that I use at work, and an iMac at home. I don't use my .mac mail account but use IMAP to my main email account so I can log in from anywhere.

For sharing documents I save them to my iDisk which I can access from either system. The iDisk syncs itself periodically to a dmg on the hard disk on each system, so I have a backup in case the iDisk croaks for any reason. If you have a lot of big docs then that wouldn't work, but it's fine for what I do.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
my mac mini is set to be my main computer, have all the others mounted on the mac mini...and all school stuff gets checked into my svn repository, otherwise they just get dumped on shared folders on my mac mini.

i also have different aim names for each computer if i even go on aim, otherwise i use vnc/remote desktop to chat

and for mail i use gmail's web access deal. saves me the trouble of syncing a bunch of computers if i can access it on a website from anywhere.

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
I use 3 Macs primarily.

The Mac mini is the primary machine. It's where i do most of my work, as well as all my leisure. I use Mail here to access all my email accounts, and it's where all my files end up.

The Cube is my server. It performs all the tasks that I want to have running all day, specifically where they eat enough processor power that I don't want it to interfere with my work. Usually, it just runs BitTorrents, but it also acts as a file server for movies, music, etc. as well as being a secondary backup for crucial documents (like class notes, and papers).

My 12" PowerBook is the mobile machine. It goes where I go, and I use it for everything I need on the go. I type my class notes on it, as well as some parts of papers. I have webmail access to all my email accounts, so I just use that when I'm out and about.

I tend to do manual network backups between the PowerBook and the Mac mini for documents, or any other fles I want to keep. I do these twice a week usually. So, if the PowerBook drive crashes, I lose a few days of work at most.

I find that merging files between the machines is easy, whether by an automated process, or manually. The real issue is actually keeping their functionality separate. In short, if you do everything with one machine, you make the other one obsolete. You need to somewhat strive to devote different tasks to different machines in order for there to be a point to having them.

Most people nowadays try to amalgamate all of their computing functions to the use of one machine. Doing this, however, requires a single powerful machine. By dividing tasks amongst machines, you can use much less powerful ones. Single computer users I know replace their machine every 3-4 years. As a multiple computer user, the 8 year old Macs I have still have a purpose.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
I have an iMac and a MBP...and I am thinking hard about getting one of the minis out of the refurbed store today..:D

But my imac is my main machine, I just sync between the two by turning on the sharing preferences and being able to log into each machine from the other, to grab what I need over my home network.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
iBook-On the go, or downstairs or in bed, but really only for web surfing and pages stuff

iMac-Web server, iTunes, sync with iPod(s), interent and Pages, buring DVDs, ripping DVDs with handbrake, and anyother work that needs a powerful prossesor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.