If you read the economist

Discussion in 'iPad' started by davenz, Mar 24, 2012.

1. davenz macrumors regular

What is better? The economist app, or just buying it through zinio. It looks like there are some mixed reviews regarding the economist app, but it doesn't show you which version it is in relation to.

I don't really want to find out one is better after I have purchased a subscription.

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

The Economist App is amazing. I read it there all the time. Even better than paper in my opinion.

I tried Zinio for about a week. Didn't have a good experience.

3. Thiemo macrumors member

I can recommend the economist app. As a subscriber of the actual paper you get free access to the app version. So, I can't really comment on the other version you mentioned, but I wouldn't bother.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

I prefer the subscription and Economist app. Best of both worlds, gives you print and hard copy since print subs get free electronic access.

App let's you see selected articles without sub, so why not try it out?

5. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I much prefer the app format over the Zinio format. The app format was developed for the iPad, the Zinio format looks like it was developed for computer monitors.

6. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Does The Economist app allow you to search? I couldn't find it

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I find the Economist app to be one of the best magazine apps on the iPad. It's very well designed and easy to navigate. I haven't used the Zinio version, but looking at their website it seems to essentially just recreate the physical magazine's layout on the screen.

If that's the case, I'd take the app hands down.

8. stdwest macrumors member

I'm also using the application and loving it!

9. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

That is the case, and that's why I prefer the app.

10. stdwest macrumors member

I did the upgrade for the application and now it's inside the newsstand. I regret I did it. I can't move it out of the newsstand. Any suggestions appreciated

11. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

There is no escape

12. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

I chose to get a print subscription, along with the economist application. That way I get all of the additional features of the app, like audio. Since the economist magazine itself isn't too complex with regards to formatting, you aren't missing much by getting the app version over the Zinio version. This isn't like Bloomberg BusinessWeek magazine, where their iPad app couldn't carry over the design of the magazine.

13. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Ugh. I did the same. I don't hate Newsstand (I don't love it, either) but it's frustrating that my news apps are now split between by "News" folder and Newsstand. Grr...

14. Cripps macrumors regular

I prefer the App to Zinio ,much more reader friendly.

The only magazine App that is better than The Economist is that of the New Yorker.