If you still need your iPhone, what's the point?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Monique1, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Monique1 macrumors regular

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Then don't get it.;) You know you don't need an iPhone either.:eek:

3. quackers82 macrumors 6502

Because its an iPhone accessory ?

4. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

As a fitness tracker it's more accurate as you will have it with you all the time.

5. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

I have the Galaxy S5 active and picked up the Gear 2 watch. It was a very nice watch but I returned it because it requires a phone to use properly. Its connected via bluetooth so basically if I had the watch on the phone better be in my pocket at all times. This was a real pain in the rear and the Apple watch is the exact same way so its just useless. Now the Gear S fixes that problem and will prove to be one totally awesome watch. Sorry but Samsung destroys apple this time with the Gear S.

6. bransoj macrumors 6502a

I would have thought that most people have their phones with them or in a vicinity close enough for them to still be connected 99% of the time and for the 1% the watch does have offline capabilities.

Personally mine is either in my pocket, on my desk but i pick it up if i wander anywhere or maybe on the side at home in which case my house isnt big enough to lose a connection. I can partly understand folk with the not carrying it when running although i do see a lot of folk with them strapped to their arms but i suspect most folk will spend enough time close enough to their phones for it not to be an issue.

7. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

So basically you will be standing next to the wall plug with your watch on the whole time? But yeah, running with an iphone 6+ strapped to your arm is doable. :rolleyes:

8. bransoj macrumors 6502a

I charge my iPhone at night on the bedside unit which is when i'll charge the watch as well. Also i can charge at home and again my house isnt big enough to wander out of connected range.

I didnt realise a bigger phone caused folk to lose the ability to run properly...i assume there are folk out there doing it with Note phones currently. Also if you are so incapable of running with an iPhone 6 Plus on your arm then surely you include this factor in your phone buying decision.

9. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Samsung is so lost. I mean, they put a qwerty keyboard on a 1.63 inch screen.

[​IMG]

Good luck typing on that.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Then you don't get the concept of a smartphone. It's to initiate Apple Pay, check texts/email, use turn-by-turn nav, etc. all without taking your iPhone out of your pocket 50x a day.

11. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I would be glad to dictate Siri my messages, provided the thing has a microphone.

The again, I don't like the design.

12. bransoj macrumors 6502a

You can use Siri on the watch to send messages :-

13. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Its an accessory. And I for one cant wait to use it.

For example, I usually go out every weekend to play ultimate frisbee at the part. With all the running and jumping, I leave my phone in my car and come back to missed calls and messages asking "are we playing today?" after the game has started. Having the iWatch, I will be able to see the messages and reply without having to go all the way to my car to get my phone, and play with the iwatch on to track my fitness. Of course this is assuming the range of the bluetooth/wifi reaches.

Also at work, during meetings or when in someones office, I can feel my phone go off. In this day and age, we now have the curiosity to check them asap, at least I do. So being able to glance at my watch to get a brief overview of the message, I will find convenient. Especially since it might be a little awkward/rude pulling out a big iPhone 6+ out during a meeting.

It has its uses for those who may have the money to burn, and honestly I cant wait to get one and try it out... sometime... next year...

14. firewood macrumors 604

You don't need your iPhone nearby, except for cellular voice & data, wifi, GPS and a speaker.

It will work just like early Newton & PalmPilot PDA/tablets. Connect later for data.

The watch will tell time and track movement (gyro) fitness by itself. Maybe even run apps that don't need a real-time internet connection.

15. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Maybe the bluetooth range is friggin' amazing...that's the only thing that I could think of that would make it worthwhile.
    I don't see having to have your phone on you...as well as your watch to listen to music...or receive notifications....since your phone already does those things.

16. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The range is probably 30 feet at most. You could probably get away with leaving it on the bench when you play. I really wish it was waterproof. I love having my pebble on when I swim.

17. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

im not sure about you guys, but my phone is always within 30 feet of me, unless i am swimming or something it is by me so having to have your phone with you at all times isn't a problem. If it has a big effect on the battery then there is a problem.

18. bransoj macrumors 6502a

But if your phone is in your coat, jacket, trousers, desk drawer etc then its easier to look at your wrist than dig about for your phone, unlock it etc.

The phone does have some offline functionality but its not designed to be a solo device but an add on for using with a phone.

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You are probably correct but at this point we can't be 100% sure (although I would guess 99.9% chance on the Time :D ). Apple may require a connection for any Apps to run and you may even have to have a 'mother/companion' controller App on the iPhone (can't be sure without some API info). Also in all likelihood there will also be a warning haptic/audio when you lose connection. This would be a nice feature to cut down on iPhone lose.

20. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

How is Siri going to dictate a message when I'm in a crowded bar filled with people and noise? And please don't say just go outside the bar.

In a best case scenario a smartwatch allows you to ditch the phone entirely. I don't think the Gear S is the solution, but I'm a lot more impressed by what it offers than the Apple Watch. I'll consider a smartwatch the day it doesn't require me to have my phone in my pocket at the same time. I am very skeptical of any smartwatch until then.

21. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Personally, I don't need a smartphone on my wrist. Apple is delivering what I want which is:

-A notification device
    -A watch with additional weather and calendar info
    -The ability to quickly communicate (Digital Touch looks really cool)
    -A fitness tracker
    -A music player
    -A payment device

Other than these, I would like to see some additional security features related to the phone and watch working in tandem such as one or the other giving off an alarm if you get out of range of one of the devices (say you accidentally leave your phone somewhere - your watch will alert you).

I can see some benefits to some of the phone controls as well. There is certainly some overlap in functionality (just like a smartphone and tablet, or a tablet and laptop)....but I certainly don't have any desire to take pictures from the watch itself or type out emails or make phone calls (even though you can make calls on the Apple Watch - not something I want or care about).

I like what Apple has done. They've put immensely more thought into design and interface than anyone else out there. The overall design will be refined (thinner, perhaps circular at some point) but this is a GREAT first offering. Can't wait to pick one up.

22. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

Just like typing on the iphone 5s. :p

23. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

It cracks me up that as we clamor for larger devices, we expect a 1.5" display smartwatch to completely replace said larger display smartphones......

Which is it?

A smartwatch should augment the functionality of the phone. Which is exactly what the Apple Watch does. It makes some things easier and provides different ways to communicate. But a watch can NEVER replace a smartphone IMO.

24. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Who said it had to have a 1.5" screen? And why must a watch only augment a phone? Why can't it function as a stand alone device one day? How can you be so certain? Did we think in 1997 that a phone could replace a CD disc man? Did we envision our phone would replace the iPod as we all ran out to buy MP3 players not that long ago?

You can't be so close minded. The Gear S has a Nano SIM which enables it to do a lot. I don't think the Gear S specifically is the solution per se but it may be a sign of what is to come. I just started a thread explaining how a stand alone watch that does all (or most things) could be enormously useful.

25. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I think the real question is this.
    Where would you use your watch, that you wouldn't want to have your phone on you?
    I think people have a need to feel attached to the world...and I don't know many people that wouldn't NOT have their phone on them at any given time.

Even at the beach, it's in a ziploc baggie inside the zipper pouch in the beach bag.
    or in a clutch or boyfriend/husband's pocket at the bar
    or on your desk at work
    or in your purse at any given time throughout the day.

The most relevant reason I can think of is runners/walkers or someone that might need to go more than 30 ft from their phone for a task of some sort.