if you take it ..your are one your own buddy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by siam, Nov 7, 2007.

1. siam macrumors regular

I am about to buy my first ever Apple Mac ( iMac ) when the current freezing / screen problems have been resolved
    as a total newbie to the world of Mac's , I would like to walk into the Apple Store, and buy the machine
    at the same time get the shop to set up the machine I am buying so it can be checked out .

The reason I am concerned about checking the new iMac out in the store is that
    its a well known fact that '' customer services '' is not regarded highly here in Thailand
    and I see many instances where the customer has been totally let down by so called
    warranties and guarantees , from the smallest retailer to major Thai based International
    companies . There’s numerous forums here in Thailand that show the vast number of
    complaints , some related to Apple Suppliers, the norm here in Thailand seems to be if you take it
    out of the shop , you are on your own buddy. I am not saying all Thai Apple suppliers are
    Letting down their customers, but the complaints show many are.

So my main concern is that knowing when I do buy my new iMac , once I leave the
    apple Store , and may be have a problem , the chances of the apple Store being willing to offer what’s only
    considered by others as a normal response of yes sir just bring it in so we can look and help put any
    problems right , may well be missing here in Thailand . One problem here is that when you are
    purchasing any thing from a computer to a car the Thai way of selling has only one route .. Just tell the customer
    what he wants to hear and forget about the actual facts, So when I ask the Apple sales person .. any problems I can
    bring it back ... ? Yes Sir you can , but the reality is more like .. ive got a problem with my new iMac.. can you
    help ..? Not sure sir I have to see my boss leave it here and I will call you, this is normally followed by a long
    Period of silence...

I was in the Apple shop yesterday ( the sales assistant did not really seem know too much about the Products) as when I asked how much an Apple Modem was , his reply was we don't sell them as all Macs come with an internal modem ..?, :eek: but they did have the new iMac on display , 20 & 24 inch , and If I wanted he would get one from the stock room and set it up in the show room so I could see / inspect / try it out. so as you can see it will be very important to me to set up the new machine to inspect / try it out as much as possible , before taking it home..

So here’s my newbie question... As I really want to try out the iMac in the store before I take it home what things would I need to look for / try out
    ( may be relating to the current iMac problems ) and any general Mac related things to try / check out ..? as a total Mac newbie a simple step by step
    idea would be most appreciated , along with any comments or advice you can offer this Newbie .

Thanks siam

2. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

First, let me start off by saying that I love Thai food.

Now that that's out of the way, I shall respond.

First of all (or second of all if you count my Thai comment) any problems that may arise with your iMac won't necessarily happen when you turn it on for the first time. So testing it out in the store, while not a bad idea, won't guarantee that you'll leave with a flawless machine.

That said, the majority of people who buy Macs don't have any issues. Sites like this exist for people to voice their complaints and frustrations. Happy people usually stay silent.

I've got a 20" iMac 2.0 Ghz and a 15" MBP 2.16 Ghz. Both are, without a doubt, flawless. No freezing issues on the iMac (although I am not a gamer).

3. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks ClassicBean,

For your comments , I will keep my fingers crossed , but just too make sure
    if thats at all possible I am going to wait to see how the current problems issue
    turns out ..:)

siam...

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No Mac sold today comes with a telephone modem. It is a USB option for about US$50 and has to be ordered separately.

5. siam thread starter macrumors regular

CanadaRAM..... No Mac sold today comes with a telephone modem. It is a USB option for about US$50 and has to be ordered separately.

Now you can see just why I want to try out and test the machine in the shop..

thanks.....

6. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

People aren't responding to the OP's question. I'll restate it in fewer words:

If you were in a shop to buy an iMac, and you have 5 minutes to check it out before putting your money down, no refunds whatsoever, what would you look at?

Myself, I would:
    check the screen,
    check for dead pixels,
    look for yellow patches (look online for a guide how to check),
    check the mouse and keyboard work,
    check that it goes to sleep and wakes up no problem,
    run a quick program that stresses the graphics and cpu (any suggestions?) and look for any graphic problems or freezing, and listen for fans becoming too loud (compare to other iMacs to see what is normal).
    look for dents and scratches all over, that the cover fits on properly, no unwanted buckles or gaps in the casing.
    run system profile and check that the OS version, processor, RAM and HD sizes match what you are paying for.
    check that you have the system DVD disks (do iMacs come with 1 or 2?)
    check that iLife etc are installed.

Anything else?

Hope that helps.

7. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Check List ..What do you Think?

Well with MacWorld approaching and I am planning to buy a iMac 24 inch
    The Apple reseller where I am planning to Buy the Mac from said they would un pack and boot up the machine so I can try It out first before I take it Home, so here’s a list of things to check on the new iMac in the shop… What do you think..?

1. on un packing the computer ( make sure the box has NOT been opened already ) take a look at the machine serial number to ascertain when it was made and where , this should give an idea of how long the store has possibly had the computer in stock , the normal serial numbering should go some thing like this -

The first 5 characters of the Mac’s serial number tells you the place it was made (1 and 2), Year (3) and week (4 and 5)
    the number should probably look something like this: W8743xxxxxxx

W8: Shanghai China
    7: 2007
    43: week 43

here’s some of the places the Apple Mac’s are made -

F: Fremont, CA, USA
    CK: Cork, Ireland
    SG, E: Singapore
    XA, XB: Sacramento, CA, USA
    FC: Fountain, CO, USA (PowerBooks only)
    PK, SI: Mexico
    LT, SR , UV, Taiwan
    G, A: USA
    MI, SK, M: Malaysia
    PT: Korea
    W8: Shanghai China
    QT: Taiwan (Quanta Factory)

Serials numbers that start with RM mean that your machine was Refurbished/Re manufactured

I think there are others, so this may not be a complete list

2. Once the box has been opened in front of you check to see you have the following items.. (Apple iMac)

iMac computer
    Apple Keyboard
    Apple Remote
    Mighty Mouse
    Cleaning cloth
    Power cord
    Install/restore DVDs
    The Printed and electronic documentation

3. Look the computer over for scratches and marks especially the screen

4. Ask the shop assistant to boot up the computer and take you through the stages required to setup your initial username, password and create the Home folder. after this process you will be able to fully use the computer NOTE ..If the Setup Assistant doesn’t launch when it’s turned on in the shop, this suggests it’s been switched on previously, which might set alarm bells ringing (for example, it might have already been registered with Apple, which could affect your warranty).

5. Once up and running look at the screen for the possibility of Dead pixels , Note Dead pixels are always black - Stuck pixels are stuck in one colour go to the System Preferences and to the Desktop/Screen Saver settings. Select Screen Saver, click on Computer name, then click on test. This will give you an almost all black background. Take a close look around for any colored pixels that should be black. If you don’t see any then you are good to go

6. Bring up a Solid colored desktop or black wallpaper now look at the screen for a possible problem like this .. Left side of the screen is bright white, while it’s yellow in the middle and dull on the right. and see there’s no light at the bottom of the screen creeping onto the image ( backlight bleed problem evident when the screen is black)

7. Put the computer under some load by Opening every application in the dock at once, make sure at least ten open also open up lots of files and applications and make it work. try to push the machine to get it warm.

8. Play a DVD / CD

9. Play the movie trailers in Front Row and the Arabesque screen saver. ( Two screen freezing
    classics )

10. Play with the Mouse and keyboard

11. Try out the remote control

12. When the iMac has been running for a few minuets , listen for any odd sounds , Noises or
    vibrations coming from the inside

13. Try out the iSight camera

14. Check that it goes to sleep and wakes up no problem,

15. Boot the machine several times

16 .Make sure that the back of the computer is not getting too hot

17. Click on the Apple logo in the top left and choose About this Mac. It will tell you if you have
    Tiger or Leopard Etc

18. Go into System Profile check the shown serial number matches one on packing box

19. Buy Apple Care Protection Plan

20. Get a sales receipt showing the date of purchase, the machine serial number and
    the shop address

siam

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LMFAO I love this response! It made me laugh my ass off!
    You need to take this guy's advice!

9. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I'm just wondering and asking myself why he would go such lengths if you are not going to buy it? This just seems backwards, that's all.

10. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Pressure and thanks for your comments, my list of things to check is really some thing that may only apply to buying an Apple computer here in Thailand
    Here the normal standards of what to expect from a sales shop when dealing with the purchasing of computers and consumables does not apply, as it does in other parts of the world. Its a well known fact here in Thailand that Warranties and guarantees are some thing to be looked upon with distrust , even when dealing with well known world wide branded products, such as Apple Mac computers, The normal sales pitch here is to tell the customer what they want to hear, make the sale and kiss the warranty responsibility good by as soon as the customer had gone out of the shop. trying to get any thing done under a warranty or guarantee is a mine field which only normally leads to the customer exploding and the sales staff offering their normal ..no can do.

so my item No4 was really a reminder to my self that even when you are presented with a new out of the box product here in Thailand you do not take any thing you see for granted when buying a consumer electronic products and the Golden rule is to all ways check and check again . may be in your part of the world you have a top class Apple After Care facility and you don't have to worry too much about the warranty or guarantee side of things .

I still do plan on buying the new iMac after MacWorld ..

Thanks