If you tether to ipad..

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by ellong, Apr 13, 2010.

1. ellong macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

New on here. Really wanted some insight about this.
    I just made my iphone have the option of tethering and it works! It's pretty fast. I was planning to get the ipad but had a question about tethering. If I tether to the ipad or any laptop in general, do I get charged for my usage with AT&T? I guess you can say, charged extra?
    Thanks in advance guys

2. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

So far, AT&T hasn't charged for use of tethering from the iPhone if your data usage is reasonable (under 5GB/month).

How are you tethering? To tether to iPad, MyWi is necessary. It is an application which requires a jailbreak of your iPhone, and I believe MyWi is available for around 10U$D.

3. ellong thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh nice to know! What do you do on your tethering? browse, download, etc.

How exactly does Mywi work? No free way like through bluetooth?

I was playing with it at BestBuy today and I really wanted to get it and just tether.

4. ellong thread starter macrumors newbie

5. MikeCase macrumors member

MikeCase

MyWi turns your jailbroken phone into a wireless router. Tethering through wifi is the only way it works on the iPad.

6. bossxii macrumors 68000

Tethering via a program like Mywi is against the contract terms we all signed with ATT. However, yes it's possible, and yes it works rather well aside from massive battery drain unless your plugged in. I have gotten just over one hour of Mywi use before my 3G's battery died.

As to the question if you will get charged or not, pretty much a crap shoot, it could happen, but so far it would seem no one has been charged for using Mywi. I use it a fair bit when I'm out of the house and at the office as our office has horrible data speeds and restricts sites like ESPN and other non work related sites. Considering ATT allows apps lome Youtube and Slingplayer on our iPhones data plan I would be surprised to get a bill for excess charges as the data you streaming is still hitting your iPhone first and apps like Slingplayer are still limited by the bandwidth in the app that ATT approved.

Bottom line is don't be stupid and use 10 or 20 gigs a month by streaming 24/7 and you probably won't raise any red flags to make them look into your usage. :)

I have been over the 5gig cap a few times and never heard a word or seen any additional charges on my bill. I think the most I used was around 7gigs last year streaming Slingbox to a laptop.

7. ellong thread starter macrumors newbie

The only thing I can see I will be doing is browsing and watching videos like youtube maybe netflix, online games? Will that be too much So you are saying the battery life is 1 hour of tethering?

Does Mywi cost?

Thanks for the many helpful comments!

8. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Don't worry AT&T won't charge extra or do anything unless you're using absurd amounts of data every month. If you're just doing regular browsing you most likely won't use more than 1 to 2 gigs of data per month anyways.

I also have a 3GS and I don't find that MyWi drains the battery too fast, I can usually get 3+ hours of normal surfing on my iPad which isn't too bad all things considered.