If you think the leaked iPhone 4 doesn't fit Apple's design standards...

peperoni

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
Or just compare it with iPad:

The front and the sides are pretty similar. Only the flat back and few keys are different.

-Leigh-

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
Hopefully it is the final design, as then it means I won't have to upgrade from the 3GS, as the new design looks like a cheap old SE phone to me.

Means I can spend my money on something else!! :D

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
Hopefully it is the final design, as then it means I won't have to upgrade from the 3GS, as the new design looks like a cheap old SE phone to me.

Yeah, I always buy my phones based solely on their looks. ;)

jayenh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2008
Yeah, I always buy my phones based solely on their looks. ;)
same here. if it looks like it can be easily confused with an inferior brand, even if it's a better phone, i simply wont buy it. personally i wanted something even more unique so everyone can see that my phone isn't just any phone, its an iphone. this is what is most important to me because inanimate objects make me feel better about myself. i want to be able to look down on other people with "lesser phones" without them looking back at me and thinking "well he's only got an [insert anything other than apple here] phone". they should be able to see it is an iphone and instantly feel inferior and poor compared to me and my iphone ;)

[edit] /sarcasm for those who actually think I'm being serious. I thought it was pretty obvious but apparently some people couldn't get the clues from the quoted text with smilie, plus the smilie at the end, even just from what I wrote and how I wrote it... :rolleyes: we were taking the p*** out of Leigh...

mouchoir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
London, UK

If I bought my phones based on looks, I never would have upgraded to the iPhone 3G from the much better looking iPhone 2G.

I think the new iPhone is a much nicer design, now it's lost the 3G/3GS's saggy bottom.

speed12

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
Good call on the iPad similarity, hadn't noticed that one. From that view they look almost identical (don't start the iPad is a big iPhone thing again....). From the top it also looks just like the screen of a MacBook Pro with the black bezel and being able to see the thin strip of aluminium that makes the sides (iPhone)/ screen back (MacBook).

I reckon the design is absolutely spot-on and will be pleased if this is the final design (although as stated above, looks aren't really the number one factor for me...nice to still look good though!).

jayenh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2008
i think most peoples stance, certainly mine in the "will you get a new iphone when it comes out in summer" thread, is to wait and see what apple announce in june. the evo is very tempting, but when we're only 2 months away from an announcement it seems silly not to wait those 2 months and make a comparison.

forgive me, i just wanted to join in with the sarcasm, it looked so fun.

EvilShenaniganZ

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2009
Or just compare it with iPad

The front and the sides are pretty similar. Only the flat back and few keys are different.
Every other person says "this looks nothing like what apple would ever use" yet bam! just like I told a bunch of people. LOOK at the Ipad.....

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia

WOW.

If you were going to upgrade just for how the phone "looks", then, I don't even know what to say to that. Something that would probably get me banned.

Honestly, I like the design.

But even if I didn't...

Flash for the Camera.
Better Camera
Front Camera
Better Battery
Better Processor (Speculation)
Better RAM (Speculation)
More Storage (Speculation)

Honestly, I would upgrade for that even if the design was not my favorite.

It actually has the potential to blow away the 3G to 3GS upgrade from a hardware perspective.

All the 3GS gave you was a compass and some RAM and Processor.

Dead Panda

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
The iPhone 3GS looks like a silly toy next to the new iPhone. The new iPhone has class and it looks rugged and ready for business.

iPhone 3G/3GS look like toys in comparison.

I hope they do keep this new design. Also, the volume buttons could be dual purpose like one could be a camera shutter button when the camera app is open. That would make sense why they're separate buttons. Plus, as the software gets more advanced, they may want those extra buttons at some point.

-Leigh-

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
WOW.

If you were going to upgrade just for how the phone "looks", then, I don't even know what to say to that. Something that would probably get me banned.

Honestly, I like the design.

But even if I didn't...

Flash for the Camera.
Better Camera
Front Camera
Better Battery
Better Processor (Speculation)
Better RAM (Speculation)
More Storage (Speculation)

Honestly, I would upgrade for that even if the design was not my favorite.

It actually has the potential to blow away the 3G to 3GS upgrade from a hardware perspective.

All the 3GS gave you was a compass and some RAM and Processor.
Wind 'em up and watch 'em go!! ;)

anonymouz1828

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2009
evo 4g vs iphone 4g

Well .. they will be released in summer .. people will have chance to try and make decision .. i like the features on evo 4g .. really tempting to me. Iphone 4g is really a surprise to go smaller but the design is okay, and I will have to see how resistant is the glass on the back.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
same here. if it looks like it can be easily confused with an inferior brand, even if it's a better phone, i simply wont buy it. personally i wanted something even more unique so everyone can see that my phone isn't just any phone, its an iphone. this is what is most important to me because inanimate objects make me feel better about myself. i want to be able to look down on other people with "lesser phones" without them looking back at me and thinking "well he's only got an [insert anything other than apple here] phone". they should be able to see it is an iphone and instantly feel inferior and poor compared to me and my iphone ;)
LOL.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
I don't dislike the design. I'm a bit surprised by the squarish look. But I can see it being possible for them to round off the edges of the glass top and bottom for "final product" while this is just squared as a prototype.

Regardless - I know it will be elegant even if it takes some getting used to. And coming from a 3G, I'll definitely be upgrading for all the additional functionality.

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
I don't dislike the design. I'm a bit surprised by the squarish look. But I can see it being possible for them to round off the edges of the glass top and bottom for "final product" while this is just squared as a prototype.

Regardless - I know it will be elegant even if it takes some getting used to. And coming from a 3G, I'll definitely be upgrading for all the additional functionality.
Same here. I have a 3G and my contract is up in May, so you know I'll be drinking Apple's Koolaid. Plus I kinda like the new design, though I wouldn't be shocked if the design changes somewhat from the prototype (though it does look like a finished product).

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
LOL at people complaining about the design. Within a month or two everyone will get used to it, then next time Apple revise the design it'll be the same story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.