If you think your Laptop is too hot....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Synergie, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Synergie macrumors 6502a

We all know the MBP processors run hot...(and we know it's ok since they will compensate for the heat and damage due to heat is very unlikely) However, if you find the bottom of your MBP getting kinda warm on your lap... check out the Belkin Laptop Cooling Pad. It doesn't cost too much, has a built in fan that runs by USB and helps keep your legs from getting too toasty! (you don't want to end up with this condition: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1317532/Laptop-heat-toast-skin-thighs.html)

And it actually does drop the internal temperatures, including the CPU, by about 10 degrees (by iStat Pro) which obviously can't be bad for the MBP!

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=472610

I have been using one this Summer and can honestly say it makes a huge difference when it's hot and sticky muggy out! :)

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

If you think your Laptop is too hot....

Try a 2006 MBP Core Duo. Burnt knees anyone?

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I have been using Coolbook Controller to keep my MBP cool and it works great. It launches in Lion but doesn't exactly work right (at least for me) yet but the developer is apparently working on a Lion compatible version. So for those of you on SL, its definitely a great value at 10$.

4. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

If you think your laptop is too hot...
    get a desktop

5. stefmesman macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Whats the weight?

6. Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Of the cooling pad? Maybe 1 lb. It's very light.

I don't always use it... I'm not right now. But when it's 36+ Celcius out and muggy, it can get a bit uncomfortable on the lap after awhile (read sticky LOL) and the way the pad is designed it allows air flow beneath the MBP and the fan circulates air around the top of your legs too. (The built in fan uses USB) It also makes typing easier as it kind of elevates the back a little bit and puts the keyboard at a more comfortable angle (it's not a drastic angle, but enough that it makes a difference typing long messages etc)

7. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Amen, my 2007 2.4 could literally burn something.. I often thought about trying to cook sides on it.

8. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

I use a Logitech cooler under my late '06. It's very quiet, but I'm afraid it isn't doing its job as well as it could-- the computer still runs hot and loud. Still much better than without it, certainly.

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I had the same model, what helps a ton was re-applying the thermal paste, as what Apple uses is crap. That made my MBP go from stove-hot to pleasently cool.

Of course, the other option is to but a PC :p

10. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

If you think your laptop is too hot... Try looking at me ;)

11. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Did you really start a thread to say that if you're laptop is running hot...buy a cooling pad?

12. Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I guess LOL. I was coming across a bunch of threads about people saying their MBP is too hot (well, not really too hot as in damaging) But just sharing this particular pad works great with the MBP and actually does drop internal temps by about 10 degrees (using iStat Pro as the guide). I just thought some people (those who were posting about it) might like to know about a good product! :) Never meant any harm by it...

13. timewarrior macrumors newbie

Switch from Discrete to Integrated and Increase fan RPM

Something happened recently on my 2010 MBP where it started getting too hot. I dug it down to the fact that Chrome was using Discrete CPU and it was making it too hot and infact burnt my fingers yesterday. Even on Safari it was a bit hot but not unbearable.
    To fix that I used gfxCardStatus to make it force Integrated on Battery and Hybrid on plugged and increased the Fan RPM when plugged using smcFanControl. When on battery if I feel it getting a bit hot I increase the fan speed.
    Hope this helps people who are facing hot MBP.

14. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

I tried that with AS5 actually, but I don't think it has made any difference. Though my application may have pretty poor-- for those who don't know, on a pre-uni MBP you need to apply the paste to the CPU bottom of the logic board, then slot the right-side connectors in place while hopefully not smearing the paste around too much. It was harder than I imagined :rolleyes:

15. ViviUO macrumors 6502

Compared to the PB G4's, MBP's are cold as ice.

I think people just ask too much. ;)