If you upgrade to ML...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by GREEN4U, Jul 28, 2012.

1. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

Does that take up twice as much extra space on your HD or does it erase the storage space Lion requires? Also theres no more clean install option? I ordered a new Air and though it might come with Lion, i want my computer to behave exactly as if ML had come preinstalled once upgraded. Will that be the case?

2. jeremyx macrumors member

I'm wondering the same. Is there a way to install ML so that it's exactly the same as if it would've came with ML?

3. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Yes and there are many threads on here about how to do it using a USB stick. Remember, a clean install is THE ONLY PERFECT install. :rolleyes:

4. jeremyx macrumors member

OK, that sounds good. So doing a fresh install of ML will have all the apps included that came with the MBA when I bought it, iLife, iMovies and so on?

5. mikeray macrumors regular

A cool thing about doing it the "normal" way (no usb stick) is that it updated the recovery partition to 10.8 as well.

I wonder if it does that when you update via usb.

Regardless, you could just upgrade the normal way and then do a clean install via the recovery partition. Would take longer I know.

6. msullivanxi macrumors newbie

No it won't but if you go to the app store before you do a clean install of ml and go to the purchase section then all you have to do is hit the redeem button next to the apps in iLife

7. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I fear you may have missed some sarcasm there. Don't worry about doing a fresh install, there is zero requirement on a Mac to do this. Unless you feel your computer is full of crap of course, and that you would prefer to do it that way. Just know that you can save yourself a couple of hours and it won't affect the machine's performance one iota.

8. GREEN4U thread starter macrumors 6502a

So what IS the advantage of doing a clean install vs the normal upgrade? Say I have a brand new computer fresh from the box, no files on it yet, nothing. But I need ML. Which route do I go?

My main concern is that doing a normal upgrade takes up extra hard drive space, or am I completely wrong?

9. Eahdawn macrumors member

10. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

There is NO advantage.

You are wrong. (You asked, I answered)

11. GREEN4U thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't mind your terse or even snarky answers so much, I've put up with them for the past 24hrs but you never seem to explain anything. So that's why I'll keep asking the same questions.

Mtn Lion downloaded from the App Store is about 4gb from what I understand. So would that be added to Lion? Bc obviously lion is more that 4gb. So if it replaces part of lion such that only 4gb were swapped, isn't the other several GBs of os x still technically Lion? Does what I ask make sense to anyone?

12. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

The opposite is true.

13. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

I have put up with you saying a celan install is better, yet you don't have to explain your reasoning. Why? isn't that snarky, too?

I have confidence in Apple and their developers that they know how to perform an op sys upgrade. They know which files need deleted, replaced and added. The upgrade consists of 3 steps; Copying files that support a minimal system then restarting your system and performing all the copying and deletes followed by the final restart. There is no way to determine how much of the 4 gigs is net new, but it is net new regardless of how you install ML.

14. GREEN4U thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks K. I'm not saying clean install was the only way to do it, not at all. in fact the idea of using a USB to install it frightens me so now I'm leaning towards normal upgrade UNLESS I cango to the Apple Store for a Personal Set Up and let a Genius do it for me. Just trying to figure out the best way to install this should it not come with ML...as you know that is my greatest fear haha.

15. KPOM macrumors G5

The difference, if any, is negligible. I wound up doing a clean installation unintentionally. For some reason, when I first installed the ML update, it seemed to install fine, but it gave me some wake-from-sleep issues (the screen often wouldn't turn on). The Apple Store tried reinstalling the OS, and while it appeared to work at first, the issue cropped up again later that day. I finally fixed it by going into the restore partition, erasing the SSD, and reinstalling Mountain Lion clean. I migrated from my pre-ML backup drive and was good to go from there. After all the installations, I had the same amount of SSD space.

16. GREEN4U thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks KP. So you ended up with the same amt of SSD space but that was after a clean install...do you remember what your SSD space was after you upgraded the first time?

17. KPOM macrumors G5

I don't remember exactly, but I had roughly 60GB free on my SSD under Lion. After the first install, I still had about 60GB free. After the clean installation and migration, I also have about 60GB free.

18. Gator Bob macrumors regular

For a Mac OpSys, little or none to my knowledge. A clean install is a Windows thing. Windows upgrades leave behind a mess of crap and fail to maximize hdd space.

19. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

The opposite of that is true.

At least give some kind of explanation if you're going to throw your opinion into the mix.

20. Hirakata macrumors 6502

Hirakata

This.

There is no reason to do a clean install if you have a brand new Mac with nothing but the OS on it. ML adds a bunch of new features, so it may take up a LITTLE more space, but it will delete/replace the Lion files it is upgrading. You will not end up with Lion AND ML files on your computer.

As NutsNGum said, the only reason to do a clean install is if you've been migrating your files from previous Macs for the past bunch of years and it's full a apps and crap that you either don't use or can't use because it won't run under ML.

Again, to the OP, if your Mac is new and only has Lion on it, there is no reason to do a clean install, except to waste your time.

21. GREEN4U thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Hirakata. Possibly one of the best explanations.

----------

BTW, I chatted with a rep on Apple.com/store cause I had nothing better to do and this is what he said:

Seems to conflict with what others are saying. Thoughts?

22. mrs1986 macrumors regular

Will you feel better if i told you it will come with ML in it??

Well it is then !!! :D

P/S: what so much trouble if you didnt get the laptop yet? Wait for it and panic later...

23. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Two best explanations.

There are better ways to deal with this 'problem' than a clean install which results in re-installing all the apps you want to keep.

24. GREEN4U thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hahaha so true. I'm not actually worried about it, especially now. But I do love talking about my new Mac and wondering. It's how I am... :)

25. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Doing a normal upgrade does not take up much more space. Hirakata has the best answer in the thread. Have you even purchased your macbook air?