If you use a bumper, don't buy a dock.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joecg, Jun 24, 2010.

1. joecg macrumors member

Not sure if this has been posted. It's so hard to keep up with the forums when they're this busy.

The bumpers don't fit into the iPhone 4 docks. Seems like a stupid design on Apple's part, but I figured I'd warn you all in case you buy one like I did (the Apple store employee wasn't sure when I asked).

EDIT: I attached a picture below for proof for the people who think I'm lying.

2. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

It did come up somewhere else but was a little buried so probably a good thing to repost since it looks like many people will be buying them both.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the inevitable ebay dock knock-offs takes this into consideration and designs it to accommodate the bumper.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Your Apple store sold the dock? Mine didn't :(. Did you also have other bumper colors beside black?

4. StevenT42 macrumors 6502

Why then are there pictures of bumpered iPhones sitting in docks? I don't have a link, but they have been posted here before.

- Steve

5. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

It wasnt docked, it was just sitting on the dock. The plug wasn't connected.

6. joecg thread starter macrumors member

Yes, mine had quite a few docks, but only black for the bumpers.

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

They will sit in a dock. I have a universal that the phone fits in, but with the bumper on, it doesn't fully seat for connection - no charging, syncing or using the line out unless the bumper is off. But that has been the case with every generation and almost every case made.

8. joecg thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I just figured since it was an Apple design case they would have taken it into consideration, haha.

9. ChiliBlue macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

As the thread said, it was a Photoshop that a number did to help people decide which color to get.

10. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

The only part that was shopped was the color of the phone, along with the color of the bumpers.

11. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

This is something I discovered with my apple iPad case and apple dock.

12. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Well, that's exactly what we would have expected from Apple. This is silly.

13. djgulia macrumors 6502

14. 41qser macrumors regular

I call BS...

Plenty of pictures around of iPhone 4 with bumpers in docks... see above.

15. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

16. Razeus macrumors 603

It sounds like you aren't sure either. And then you go and post something that you have no proof of because you haven't tried it yourself. Do not spread false information. There are plenty of pics that show they work together well.

17. joecg thread starter macrumors member

It still fits in the dock, but does not go down far enough to reach the connector to sync or charge. At least mine doesn't. Maybe if you force it in, but I don't really wanna do that.

18. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I see what your saying, I can see a gap.

[​IMG]

19. joecg thread starter macrumors member

Since no one believes me. Here is a picture I took of my phone in its bumper attached to the dock which is attached to my MBP. Notice it isn't charging or syncing or anything.

Attached Files:

20. reaborg macrumors member

Yup, I am experiencing the same thing....iP4 doesn't fit the dock properly with the bumper on. In fact, not only does it not make the connection, it also doesn't sit very stably, and tends to fall off with a slight shake.... Unless you decide to really jam it in there, which I am not going to do....

21. frenchie0101 macrumors 6502

yeah im a bit pissed about the bumper, i cant use tomtom dock or my alpine car stereo connector

22. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

Same here. My iPad backing is super thin but the dock won't work when it's on. Protection is more important to me on the iPhone than docking, but it's a little different with the iPad.

Either way, these are LUXURY problems! :p

23. iMoo macrumors regular

iMoo

Maybe they are selling the bumpers first and dock later so that you have already bought bumper! If you realised they didn't fit some may take one of them back...my guess they will release yet another dock for people who have bumpers lol

24. Manie Frizzle macrumors member