Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richpuer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Or will you end up waiting for hours only to find out that when your turn is next, theyve ran out of stock?

Im not talking about waiting before the store opens. like if you head there around noon, see a massive line but decide to wait anyway. is that going to ensure you a phone?

When I did the ipad 3 launch, i went there the day after and stood in a line of about 10 people. They handed out the model numbers on little cards so i knew it was a matter of time before getting mine.

I just dont want to be stuck waiting in a massive line not knowing if there is stock or not. Do appl people put out a sign saying out of stock so u know not to wait?

Starbuckpga

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
Nope.

There's not an unlimited supply at the stores. So if you want to ensure you get a phone, better get there very early or the night before, wait in line, and then you will likely get a phone.

As stock dwindles and they get close to being sold-out, they will inform people and count off where in line the expected cutoff will or would be.

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Or will you end up waiting for hours only to find out that when your turn is next, theyve ran out of stock?

Im not talking about waiting before the store opens. like if you head there around noon, see a massive line but decide to wait anyway. is that going to ensure you a phone?

When I did the ipad 3 launch, i went there the day after and stood in a line of about 10 people. They handed out the model numbers on little cards so i knew it was a matter of time before getting mine.

I just dont want to be stuck waiting in a massive line not knowing if there is stock or not. Do appl people put out a sign saying out of stock so u know not to wait?
Yes, you will get one. They ship an ungodly amount to the stores. They may eventually sell out on day one, but it will be evening time before they are gone, if they sell out at all.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Getting there before a large line is the only sure way to get one.

That said, I'd "assume" if there was obviously more people outside than the stock they have, some kind of indication would be given.

I'd either call before I head there and try to get some info, or speak to one of the employees there prior to getting on line.

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
If you want to buy your iPhone at the carriers store or Apple Store, consider how much population / people live in your area...

If you live in the country then no.. you most likely will not have any issues with getting your iPhone.. if you live in NYC area's good luck...

Wthompso

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
i hope that they recieve more stock than my store gets...i work at a verizon store and we were only given close to 10 phones...mostly 16 black....there were just not enough to give us more...we are a lower traffic store but still i would have expected more...im sure that apple store will carry significantly more

richpuer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
If you want to buy your iPhone at the carriers store or Apple Store, consider how much population / people live in your area...

If you live in the country then no.. you most likely will not have any issues with getting your iPhone.. if you live in NYC area's good luck...

how about Orange county?

ewils19

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Dallas, TX
Last year I went in the early afternoon (around 2 pm I think) to the AT&T store and was able to get a 16 GB 4S. So its definitely possible but it will of course depend on the area you're in and other variables.

I'm in Dallas btw.

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Orange county in which state? There are many.

If past experience is any indication, if you get to the Apple store at noon, you are just about guaranteed to NOT get a phone.

renesandy

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
New York City
Apple stores are your best bet. AT&T stores in NYC had about three phones daily, when the 4 came out I was fourth in line, but the person in front of me couldn't afford it because they "forced" Apple Care onto the device, which I later returned at another location.
Also, model variation. When the 4S came out I remember Apple stores telling me that they had Sprint phones and some Verizon, but AT&T was sold out!

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Yes, you will get one. They ship an ungodly amount to the stores. They may eventually sell out on day one, but it will be evening time before they are gone, if they sell out at all.

^
This.

Apple stores get hundreds. And not sure if anyone else's Apple store did this last year, but when we lined up they came around and gave everyone a ticket with the iphone of their choice labeled on it. It was your garunteed iPhone that you could come back and pick up any time before closing on launch day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.