If you were Apple and working on the iPhone 5.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Muro, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Muro, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011

Muro macrumors 6502

If you were Apple and making a device where a pretty lot of people are anxious about what it will look like and where the stakes are that high, especially now. Wouldn't you want to know the reactions/responses on this device of the people who are going to use it and I don't mean testers? And what other way to do this is to drop a picture of it on the web where people guaranteed would say about it's a fake or mock-up by putting a slight error or mistake in it's design. This way you can get the reactions of the masses without handing out the real identity of the device.

This theory would suggest within all of these fakes and mock-ups the real deal is hiding and is created directly or via a third party by Apple itself. Am I thinking to deep or...?

2. jonrando macrumors 6502a

I like all the rumours, suspense, and being suprised when the event does come. I don't wanna have an image of what it will look like exactly. I like being suprised by Apple.

3. BUFFBOY macrumors regular

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Apple will get its reaction when they announce it on stage and they will their response when the the new iPhone goes on sale (people will vote with their wallets, not on forums).

5. jonrando macrumors 6502a

He pretty much wants to know if you'd put an image of an upcoming device onto the website (if you were Apple) with a mistake in it, making people think it's fake (when it's actually real) just to see everyones reaction.

6. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

Neither did I but i'll do my best to translate it.

Apple is in a huge conspiracy in which they hire people to leak pictures that are slightly tweaked of upcoming products.

Hope I helped. :)

7. Muro thread starter macrumors 6502

First of all this "newbie" has a name, you can speak to me directly instead of referring to me in the third person.

Second: Apple plants an iPhone 5 picture on the web in the form of a mock-up (as in not official/fake) to measure the reactions of the endusers(the masses) before it goes in production. Is this a clear enough explanation to you?

Third: I'm Dutch as in, English is not my native language so my sentences and word use can be awkward, misplaced or wrongfully chosen sometimes. Don't kill me for that.

----------

Pfff...god bless you man :)

8. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Me too. Half the fun is the not knowing part of it. Although I only feel like that when the rumours are continuous and the leaks keep slowly coming out. When there is a down time with nothing new, I feel like I just want to see the keynote already.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would say "no"
    Such an approach wouldn't yield any real meaningful data

10. Muro thread starter macrumors 6502

I mend this like from Apple's perspective not your own. What would you do when you were Apple producing the iPhone 5 and liked to know the opinions of the endusers. Would you use the strategie of dropping pictures of your prototype on the web in the form of a mock-up so people won't think it's the real deal and by this way measure the reactions on your protype.

11. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

While there are plenty of companies and parts of the government that do purposely 'leak' things, I doubt Apple even bothers. They have no reason to do so. They get enough hype as it is. And a lot of people will buy the next Apple device no matter what it looks like or the features, so they don't really care about the web reaction that much.

12. Muro thread starter macrumors 6502

No your right. But aren't the looks and design of a smartphone not one of the major key factors in the sales successes. They are not absolute or concrete numbers but you can sort of measure the likeabilty factor of the device with this way.

----------

Correction: as of my last post, I'm newbie off and now a full member...life is great!

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The sample size would be small in comparison to the overall usage of the device. You would get a hodge podge of +1 responses to "likes" and "I hate it". It would be a wash, and would not reach the total customer base anyway.

14. Muro thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point! And probably indeed like someones else just mentioned, most people will buy the iPhone anyway regardless what it looks like.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

People who comment on iPhone photos online ≠ The Masses

That's where your theory blows up.

ALSO: The design is locked in close to a year before the phone comes out. All the "leaks" happen 2-3 months before it comes out. How would it help them to get opinions 8 months too late?

16. Muro thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, didn't knew that about the locking up a year in advance. I last heard Apple just recently placed the order to start production at Pegatron therefor I though till recently they were tweaking and fixing the last ends of the design.

So that means, as we speak they are working on the iPhone 6 design?

17. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

If they are at the stage of being able to drop a picture of the device on the web, they definitely aren't still in the R&D stage and that means they are pretty damn close to releasing.

When Apple tests their phones in the early stages, they aren't in the final casings. When you see an unreleased iPhone in the wild in it's final casing, you know release is imminent. Most likely 3 months or less away.

18. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

6,7 and probably 8. Or, the next 2-3 generations after 5, I should say.

19. Muro thread starter macrumors 6502

Great info..thanks!

----------

Are you serious?!
    But that's working 2/3 years ahead without knowing and including what new innovations/technology will come out in the mean time.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

During the whole 'antennagate' press conference last year Apple revealed that the design-time for an iPhone model is about 2 years. They also said that physical testing of the hardware takes many months to complete. Presumably they leave time to make changes after that testing, so it's my assumption that the design MUST be undergoing testing at least a year before the phone is sold to the public.

A lot of this is speculation, but it matches up with the facts we do know.

So, yeah, I presume they're close to making their final choices for the iPhone 6 design right now and they're getting started on the rough sketches for the iPhone 7.

21. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I hope for the sake of having a release sometime in the near future that they are past the point where they could make design changes from a "leaked" picture and its reactions

not that Apple would ever use this strategy anyway

22. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

You're talking about the design. Not the internals. Plus, they have a general idea of whats going to be around. Its not like they are going to figure out cold fusion in 2 years.

23. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Muro, I don't think you quite understand how Apple works. Apple doesn't care about what end users think when designing a product. They never have. They don't use focus groups they don't use surveys. Apple is one of the only, if not the only company to work like this.

If they did listen to all the traditional channels of input that companies use for putting together new products then there products would end up like other companies. Features that half work and hardware that was ok but not great because they had ten different people wanting ten different things from said feature or piece of hardware. This goes along with why it takes Apple so long to implement some changes to iOS. They don't release it until they think something is ready. They do it their own way, take their time and usually do a very good job.

Apple comes up with an awesome design, knows it is an awesome design and tells us that this is the product we want to buy. In the last few years they have had a damn good track record with this approach.

24. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I think he knows that. My point in my post was saying that even if the design is the thing that is finalized first in R&D, the iPhone test units are NEVER put into the final casing until a few months before release.

This is why we see so few in the wild. If ever.

25. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

Who's to say they haven't?