Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which os would you choose for a webserver?

• Freebsd

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Ubuntu Server

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Centos

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Centos is a pretty solid sever that is basically a clone of Red Hat.

I would not recommend FreeBSD purely because i have found it a little harder to find software and support for than a standard Linux.

Same with Ubuntu its a nice Linux but it was much harder to get information and help than it would be for Suse, Redhat, Fedora and Centos.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I've been using Ubuntu Server on my testbeds for years. I find it to be the fastest to get running from install to setup, and the Ubuntu message boards are very active. This makes it simple to get tips on the few occasions that problems arise.

timbos

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
I used FreeBSD on my server a few years ago. It was perfect for web-hosting and mail. The VPS that I use now has Debian on it, since that's all the hosting company offers. The experience that I've had of Ubuntu has been good.

FreeBSD has a wide range of stuff available for immediate install with the ports system (pre-prepared software, ready to build and install). It's also the most similar (of the three suggested) to OS X.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
I have been using Centos most of the time, mainly because all my servers come with Centos, and they seems good enough for me.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
All I got to say is installing packages with freebsd using portsnap takes forever, for something as simple as mysql it takes like a half an hour. lol

And portsnap is amazing!

racketeer71

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
I would go for a hosting solution where I was not responsible for the sysadm tasks....

Buy the gridservice from Mediatemple.net. It's quite cheap compared to what you get (I think), and then you can sleep tight every night knowing that yes, the webserver, php, sshd, mysql, etc, etc, etc, are all patched.

For a developer, spending time on system administration is a waste of time, IMHO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.