If you were choosing an operating system for a server which of these three and why?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by waloshin, Sep 7, 2010.

?

Which os would you choose for a webserver?

1. Freebsd

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Ubuntu Server

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Centos

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  4. None of the above.

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Centos is a pretty solid sever that is basically a clone of Red Hat.

I would not recommend FreeBSD purely because i have found it a little harder to find software and support for than a standard Linux.

Same with Ubuntu its a nice Linux but it was much harder to get information and help than it would be for Suse, Redhat, Fedora and Centos.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I've been using Ubuntu Server on my testbeds for years. I find it to be the fastest to get running from install to setup, and the Ubuntu message boards are very active. This makes it simple to get tips on the few occasions that problems arise.

4. timbos macrumors member

I used FreeBSD on my server a few years ago. It was perfect for web-hosting and mail. The VPS that I use now has Debian on it, since that's all the hosting company offers. The experience that I've had of Ubuntu has been good.

FreeBSD has a wide range of stuff available for immediate install with the ports system (pre-prepared software, ready to build and install). It's also the most similar (of the three suggested) to OS X.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

I would choose whichever one the system admin knows best.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Assuming waloshin is the sysadmin, this point is moot.

7. angelneo macrumors 68000

I have been using Centos most of the time, mainly because all my servers come with Centos, and they seems good enough for me.

8. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

All I got to say is installing packages with freebsd using portsnap takes forever, for something as simple as mysql it takes like a half an hour. lol

And portsnap is amazing!

9. racketeer71 macrumors regular

I would go for a hosting solution where I was not responsible for the sysadm tasks....

Buy the gridservice from Mediatemple.net. It's quite cheap compared to what you get (I think), and then you can sleep tight every night knowing that yes, the webserver, php, sshd, mysql, etc, etc, etc, are all patched.

For a developer, spending time on system administration is a waste of time, IMHO.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The one that is robust enough to host your fan pages.

11. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Depends on what I'm doing. My cPanel/WHM VPS runs CentOS and my personal use VPS runs Debian