If you were given a choice...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hj576, Nov 9, 2016.

?

Which One would You Choose

1. Current MBPr

18 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. A more Powerful less Portable MBPr

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. hj576 macrumors regular

hj576

So being more active here than i should be in the past week or so (I really need a life...). I have seen there are people whose genuine complaint about the New Macbook Pro is that it is not powerful enough. While others have put up an argument, that going with higher RAM, Higher TDP dGPU and Processor will lead to reduction in Battery life and portability.
    So here is a question, What would you opt for
    1) The Current MBPr line up
    2) A higher end MBPr, which is more of a work station than a Portable Laptop. You get 32GB+ RAM, A higher TDP dGPU like the Nvidia Pascal chips, but you give up on portability, it weighs more (6+ Lbs for 15 inch) and has a battery life of 2-3 Hours.

Personally, for my need, I would much rather have the current specs and better portability and Battery time. I want to see what percentage of users on this forum want to trade portability with a notebook with better specs

2. cmaier macrumors G3

I'd take the current. If i need more power I use a desktop.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Nope. This would never, ever happen with an Apple notebook. They'd never make this product. Apple always make the best compromise they can between battery life, portability, and power. I think they largely get the balance right, especially when you look back at previously lamented (at the time) design changes. It won't be any different this time.

If what you described is the product people want, there are plenty of Wintel laptops which have what they want. If people want this, they'll jump ship. At least you'd hope they would... yet they stay here and keep whining :D

4. hj576 thread starter macrumors regular

hj576

Well luckily for you I dont work for apple and I wont be putting this idea forward to them a nytime soon :p. But i just wanted to do a little survey of my own, I see a lot of people complaining about the Lack of a good dGPU or 32GB RAM and they always say they would trade in battery life for those features, I want to see what percentage of people actually think like that. Not really discussing the possibility of apple doing it :p
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2016 ---
    who is poor pockets btw ? :p

5. onVacation macrumors member

onVacation

[​IMG]

Pascal you say? How about GTX 1080 SLI. Desktop grade i7, 21" curved screen, up to 64GB RAM, 5 fans, . Acer got you covered.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

The dGPU really isn't that bad in the nMBP. There's a lot of hyperbole floating around here from people who tend to recycle other negative statements. 32GB RAM is a bit of a bummer, but it's not the end of the world.

I know people still mixing and mastering music on 15" 2012 cMBPs as their main machine. Go back a decade, and every song you ever loved was mixed on a computer with less power than the phone you're currently holding. If it was as simple as "we're only as good as the specs of the computer we use", we'd all be rocking a DELL XPS.

There's only so much of a story that raw hardware can tell you. Ultimately, there comes a point where the squishy thing using the computer is the bottleneck. Yes, more power is always good. But the current state of affairs are really not as bad as some people make it out to be. :)

7. hj576 thread starter macrumors regular

hj576

do they also send you a crane that you use to carry this monster around ? :p

8. onVacation macrumors member

onVacation

No, but I heard they sell them with a special battery backpack and one of these to keep you mobile:

[​IMG]

9. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

When they called it portable, they meant "on wheels". :D

10. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

This poll is stupid because you are assuming a powerful pascal card gets significantly worse battery life. You are also assuming it'd be super heavy.

The new Razer Blade gets 6+ hours of 1440p youtube viewing. The only time the battery life gets shorter is when you are gaming in which case the MBP will also probably do the same. Keep in mind, Apples 10 hour battery life is based off surfing the web or watching 1080p video in iTunes. Oh, and the razor blade only uses a 70 WH battery and is barely over 4 lb's. If Apple kept the previous enclosure and battery, it would get in the neighborhood of 8.5 hours of 1440p youtube viewing if the razer's performance is extrapolated.

So can we please stop acting as if putting a pascal would destroy battery life and make it super heavy? The reality is, they could have kept the same 4.5 lb MPB from 2015 while getting 2.5x more graphics performance and still having very good battery life. Where is that option?

11. cmaier macrumors G3

Wow. That thing looks like a prop from a budget sci-fi movie.

12. brynsmith23 macrumors regular

This....

The 2016 pro is pretty dam good, the only thing is the ram, which some people may need.

If apple wanted to blow the minds of the "pros" then they could release a 16/17 inch model with Xeon Processors, more ram, stronger Video card, bigger battery and keep it in a 2015 thickness case.

But the price would be, out of this world... and i mean it would be in the Mac Pro price range

If the current pro isn't good enough, then i personally would be doing a processing work on a Desk top and lighter stuff on the laptop.

The Apple Laptop wasn't designed as a heavy use workstation. it was a portable Computer device to increase portabilty.

For a Laptop, its Damm good.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2016 ---
    This is what people are expecting in a Macbook Pro, but still expecting it to fit in a apple laptop casing:rolleyes: