If you were on an eight-hour trip...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ZiggyPastorius, Nov 23, 2008.

1. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I know this is a pretty cliché topic, but I'm going to Wisconsin on Wednesday, which is about an eight-hour car ride, and I need stuff to do. I've already downloaded the Marathon Trilogy again, which will burn a bit of time, and I'm thinking about redownloading Step Mania for some fun with that...If you had to sit on your Macbook for entertainment on an eight-hour car trip, what kinds of games/stuff would you bring on it to do? I have Logic and Finale to work on some music stuff, and Super Tux and Marathon to burn a bit of time, but that probably won't be enough.

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

its always good to have a g/f or b/f with you int his situations to have power pit/stops, when thsi happens, 8 hrs just seems liek it wasn't enough...car games are also a very good idea if gogin witha bunch of people

3. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

4. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

lol, I can get about 5 hours out of it, maybe a bit more if I push it (meaning no games and stuff). But no, I have an adapter so I can charge it during the ride.

Also, my girlfriend isn't going. We've been going up to Wisconsin to visit my mom's girlfriend's family for the past five or so years at Thanksgiving. Last year, I played on my Inspiron (before I had my Macbook), but I don't feel like taking it because I hate it. It wasn't very exciting, though.

Edit: Plus, her family is a bunch of Mac users, so I obviously can't take the craptop :p Gotta take the Macbook.

5. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

You want a nice slow, simple game. One that doesn't eat the battery or your attention span!

I recommend Monopoly (always lasts over an hour) or Romi

6. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Age of Empires III can eat up a ton of time if you play at a challenging difficulty level. If I play on the hard settings, I can play up to like 2 hours trying to fend off constant attacks and building resources.

If you're into RTS games, give it a try!

7. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I do like RTS games, only problem is, I can't just go out and buy an RTS for the trip :eek:

I don't really need something that's going to burn up eight hours, I mostly just need a game (like Supertux, for example) that I can play for like an hour, or 30 minutes, or play a bit and come back to later...I'm not a big fan of board games, but if I get desperate, maybe I'll grab Monopoly or something. Maybe some old games (like Marathon) that are kind of fun, and I can just download (legally)?

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

8 hours isn't much, just get a stack of music for the car and some lollies. Spend the trip telling jokes and stuff.

9. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

You could always just go out the night before and spend the journey hung over and sleeping :)

10. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Stay awake the whole night before the trip and just sleep in the car.

EDIT: It appears me and dubhe are both lazy people.

11. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

What is this? Promoting underage drinking? :p:D:p

Giving blood right before I leave, so not a good idea :D As soon as I'm done, I'm jumping in the car for the trip, both Laura (my mom's girlfriend) and I. I'm hoping that knocks me out for some time during the trip, though.

12. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

If I was going somewhere that took 8 hours to get to in a car I would be looking for alternative transportation methods, such as a plane or a train.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah because I have a 100 mile rule. ;) Every 100 miles ...

I'm going to get a beer.

14. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Supreme Commander

The average game (against friends, not a computer) lasts a good hour and a half, at least, and that's with the build rate speed put at max...

15. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Cool, thank you :) Is this a PC-only game, or can I play it on my Macbook? I recently decided to take Windows off my Macbook and I don't really feel like dedicating the hours to reinstall, especially for one game.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

On an 8 hour trip? I'd just take a fully charged DS, PSP and iPod :) I don't need much outside of that for traveling. With all my gear that'd likely last 30 hours before running out of nothing to do. Then I'll sleep.

Actually I always sleep when in a car. When I'm not driving of course.

17. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Sadly I think it is only for PC, I have RA3, theme hospital etc (justifies me having windows on here), that's the only reason I use it.

18. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Unfortunately, I've never been able to sleep in cars. Don't have a DS, and a friend of mine lost my SP. I don't own a PSP, because I refuse to buy Sony produts.

Do have some games on my iPod, though. That'll also eat up a bit of time.

Edit: Sometimes I sleep when I'm driving :D Just kidding.

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Take a good book.

I've found that to work time and again, while all else simply fails to last for very long.

Conversation also works.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Not sure how old you are, but if you have your license, drive part of the way?

I personally find road trips go by faster for me when I'm driving rather than when I'm riding. Maybe that's just because I tend to have a heaver foot than others, or maybe that's just how it is. Dunno :D

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Play Punch Buggy.

Always good for a laugh when the car leaves the road for the ditch.

[​IMG]

22. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I usually have a barny with the missus, that seems to pass the time

23. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Hey everyone, what about suggestions for passengers? ;) :p

24. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep - the more pedantic and petty the disagreement the better. Like whether a sign was red or dark red...

25. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Farting competition. The one who evacuates the car by the side of the road wins.