If you were to buy a PM G5

wasid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
8
0
I went to search the forum on this subject but the last post i found on this subject was abut a month ago.

I am in the possition to upgrade from my orriginal iMac g4 15"

My insticts tell me that there might be some sort of upgrade to the PM line in june. Not saying they will revamp or unleash something awsome just something. Does it seem reasomable to wait till june to see what they do. Im probably going to swing the for like the dual 1.8 or 2.0 right now if i were to do it. the thing is, i will kick myself in the ass if they do come out with something cool, or on the conservative side just upgrade. if they upgrade or something i get some options, like get the dual 2.0 cheaper or get the mid grade of whatever they release.

another thing is that i could be waiting forever......
if i wait till june and nothing, then buy, then i know before dec somthing should happen, then i would want to wait. maybe i should just wait for a freakin g7 not. what would be the educated/smart way to handle the situation. just wait till june and buy if there is nothing?

im sure there are others in this situation, would like to know what others feel on this subject. Calm my nerves a little bit.
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,910
41
Andover, MA
If you are willing to wait until June, wait until Tiger is released, and buy the PM that suits you then. PMs will continue to evolve, but, even if a dual-core quad-processor one comes out a month after you order, June's PM offerings will be quite useful. My 18-month-old Rev A dual-2.0 is still fantastic.
 
Comment

amoildani

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2004
48
0
what do you think the resale value on a rev. b dual 1.8 would be like after the june updates?

considering getting one for the time-being then sell when I order a new PM in June
 
Comment

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,910
41
Andover, MA
amoildani said:
what do you think the resale value on a rev. b dual 1.8 would be like after the june updates?

considering getting one for the time-being then sell when I order a new PM in June
I personally think it'd be foolish to get one now if you're sure you'll get another one in three months, unless you really and truly need one now. I'm guessing - just guessing - that the low-end June (or whenever updates are announced) PM offering will be at least 2.0 GHz, maybe better (2.3/2.5/3.0 lineup?). You might lose several hundred or more on the dual 1.8.

Again, just guessing.
 
Comment

amoildani

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2004
48
0
well i plan on getting one in 3 months, but who knows when I'd get it, probably in 5-6 months due to shipping delays.

Do you really think the resale value of a dp1.8 would drop so much? I could get one for $1699, i would image i could sell one by then for atleast $1500, or am I being too optimistic?
 
Comment

Palomino

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2005
55
0
Adelaide, South Australia
amoildani said:
Do you really think the resale value of a dp1.8 would drop so much?
You don't buy a computer to sell it, A PM is a "long term" investment. Thus by the time you come to sell it it's usually not worth anything anyway, so you turn it into a server for your next computer. Or you "lend" it to a family member until another use arrises.

Computers evolve and why I doubt a Dual core Quad proc PM will be released in June at the WWDC, there will no doubt be updates. It's up to you wheter you wait until then or not.

Jordan
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.