Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Pinging my phone so I can find it. šŸ˜›

Iā€™m only kidding a little, but also:

checking/responding to texts, especially in places where I need to be discreet
notifications I can look at with a glance
Apple Pay
health notifications/reminders

Those are the main things.

Iā€™m always going to wear a watch - have as long as I can remember. So for me it was a natural extension of a watch and the phone to have a watch that could do more.

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC
Thatā€™s cheating! šŸ˜‰

ā€œHealth and fitnessā€ covers dozens of features. In the spirit of the question, what the Number 1 feature, you'd miss? Which of the barometers (indicators) of health or fitness? 1ļøāƒ£

So I am also cheating because I stopped wearing Apple Watch in favor of a mechanical one in 2020.šŸ˜

I am revising my decision though. I think I actually miss Apple Pay on the wrist more than the health and fitness stuff. That said, to answer your question, of the health and fitness stuff, I miss the workout tracking stuff the most.

Reactions: Saturn007

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Either setting reminders via Siri from my watch or Apple Pay. I'm using the reminders way way more but Apple Pay from the watch is so bloody convenient.

Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

Silver78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2013
Denmark
I still use the series 0

It looks as the day I purchased it. I just changed battery on it for the second time in its lifetime.

I went from Denmark to apple headquater store in cupertino to purchase it when it came out so its got also sentimental value.
The software on it never really became what i had hoped before it stopped getting updates (I had hoped for more watchface options atleast)

I use it as a watch and world clock since I travel a bit and need check times around the world.
Music control is also nice.
Notifications never became really reliable on it but it does work.ā€¦ mostly.
Notifications from smart home, door openings, door bell notifications etc I also enjoy.

I use a fitness band on the side also for sleep and fitness tracking.. I do still try to close the circles on the apple watch also.

It will soon be 10 years old I guess.. if it makes it that long I might buy an ultra.

I hope battery replacement on those ultra will not be too crazy since i can see batteries on the newer iphone models does not live as long as the older iphone models and are much more expensive to replace.
my iphone 13pro max is not even 2 years old and battery is looking at replacement battery soon (half the lifetime of my old 7plus)
the wifes 14 pro max is little more than a 1 year old and also soon will need battery replacement!

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
There are so many, but the number 1 feature I would miss is an app called ā€˜Just Press Recordā€™. Iā€™ve got it as a complication and use it frequently to take notes during dialysis that are automatically transcribed and iClouded to my Macs at home and shoved into a Word document.

Tom

Reactions: Saturn007

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I fully respect the value this device brings for a lot of people, but for me, itā€™s arguably one of the most useless purchases Iā€™ve ever made.

Coming from a Fitbit, battery life is abysmal, step counts are only available on the watch face via glitchy 3rd party apps. Heart rate is way less glanceable as it can be up to an hour out of date.

Iā€™ve discovered I hate having my personal space invaded by notifications pinging constantly on my wrist. And yes I can turn that off, which defeats the purpose of the device.

And lastly itā€™s uncomfortable. I got it with the default sport band but my general disillusionment makes me not want to sink any more money into it.

I think I was hoping going from Fitbit to Apple Watch would just be a more refined and feature rich version of a similar device, but for me I discovered a Fitbit makes way more sense and Iā€™m not at all the target market for Apple Watch.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I had a Fitbit and terrible reliability aside (I had several :D), it was great for step tracking. I could never go back though. All the features of the AW make it a supreme step up. I did spend some time configuring it, grooming notifications etc.

Choice is good though. Fitbit is a great fitness tracker for a huge audience. And phone agnostic.

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
Run tracking, the occasional answering of a phone call because I hate carrying my phone around. These arent really anything that other non-Apple smartwaches cant do however.

There are other things that i'd hope it would someday do - media / podcast control and playback functions that actually work (if anything they've become worse over time), ability to control Sonos systems.

• Angry
Reactions: waltman

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Run tracking, the occasional answering of a phone call because I hate carrying my phone around. These arent really anything that other non-Apple smartwaches cant do however.

There are other things that i'd hope it would someday do - media / podcast control and playback functions that actually work (if anything they've become worse over time), ability to control Sonos systems.

There's an app called Lyd that works to control my SONOS sound bar.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
It still amuses me how I went from "I might return this" to "I'd never not have one of these".

For me having notifications on means that I use my iPhone drastically less. I can glance at my wrist and instantly know something's not important and then ignore it. If I pull out my phone there's a good chance I'm going to end up spending time looking at other things on it also.

kitt9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
If I didn't have the apple watch, I would probably miss mostly the lack of wearing the Apple watch bands. As a dude, watch bands are one of the few things I can accessorize for my day to day outfits, and I really do enjoy that! Other than that I would miss checking the time on my wrist and the ease of checking phone notifications...other stuff is just cherry on top as I am ok to rely on my phone if needed.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I have S4 SS AW and I mainly use it for the following:
- wearing it as a watch with nice leather bands and using it as a time piece
- phone and text notifications
- reminders - shopping list - not pulling out the phone out while shopping is very nice
- Apple Pay

When this AW dies, I don't think I can justify another $800 for SS model just for these few items. so it is possible that this might be my last AW. I cant stand the feeling and lack of heft of Aluminum AW, so I would rather not have one at all.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
My Ultra 2 is an indispensable part of my iPhone, add Airpod Pro's to them and it is a whole new world having notifications buzz on my wrist and have text messages, and notices read in my ears.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Getting it stuck on my backpack every time I put the backpack on.

Oh and complaining at me when I'm at a gig for the noise levels being too loud despite already having ear plugs in.

• Haha
Reactions: ATmahe

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I'm pretty addicted to the fitness tracking at this point (especially heart rate), but the big thing is not missing notifications when I'm out and about. My phone goes in my front pocket, and sometimes I'll miss the vibration from a text or call if I'm not relatively still. The watch solves that issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.