All iPads If your carrying a backpack, which iPad do you decide to get

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gc15, Aug 4, 2014.

1. gc15 macrumors regular

Since portability isn't a issue with the use of the backpack, which iPad do you decide to use.

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Still depends on what you'll be using the iPad for. Reading fiction, I'd prefer the rMini. All other uses, 9.7" iPad.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I choose the retina iPad Mini. Had the full sized iPad 3 before the mini and I prefer the mini better.

4. gc15 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your replies. Let's add another layer to this, if your a student which iPad do you prefer? Im debating which one would be better for viewing power points.

5. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Honestly I would still prefer ipad mini with retina display. But I guess it really depends on what you want to do with it.

To each their own.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's all a matter of personal preference. Do you want a really big screen or can you cope with a smaller one?

I think the mini is still plenty big enough for my needs.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

I use a backpack and I still bought the iPad Mini. The Air is too big for my uses even with a bag.

8. scott523 macrumors 6502a

As a student, definitely an iPad Air.

I remember taking so many notes using Notability. It was very helpful, but it takes some time getting used to writing on an iPad and I can't see myself doing it on an iPad mini.

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

The key to taking notes on an iPad Mini is having the right program. Notability is perfectly fine on it. Evernote wastes a lot of screen space. So I spend a lot of time writing in Notability/Editorial and just push my finished stuff over there.

A hardware keyboard is even better. I type as fast as I do on a regular keyboard on the ClamCase Pro. Still keeps the Mini portable too.

Another thing to consider is if you're considering a stylus, I found that thinner nibs work a lot better if you don't want to risk ruining your screen with the Jots.

Powerpoints should work fine. They're made to blow up on a projector and be brief, so they're usually not that complicated. The Retina screen should help. I think the only thing that will be problematic are the thick margins.

10. bambooshots macrumors 65816

I've used the retina mini for the last 9 months for both pleasure and school...found myself wanting a larger screen. For the PowerPoint presentations and if you ever download textbooks onto it.

So I just picked up an Air 64GB Wifi/LTE.

Of course, YMMV. I wanted it and wanted it now, the education pricing and Apple store credit helped some.

Oh yeah, I do want to mention that the MBA is infinitely more useful for school and taking notes. I lugged the rMini around to just study stuff at restaurants and to check my .edu mail/eCampus/etc.

11. chupachup macrumors 6502

Then the Mini is too small.

Carrying isn't an issue, the Air is small and light anyway. As soon as someone hints that they will be using it for any sort of work, like a laptop, then you have to get the Air.

Minis are for girls who want to check their Facebook.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Boys don't check Facebook?

13. roop27 macrumors member

rMini if i had a bag. The way i see it is, if I have a bag, i'd rather take a full OS so would rather have a macbook air in my bag. But if it was only ipads, i'd still have the Mini. I've never noticed a yearning for a larger screen since getting rid of my ipad 4.

14. Roger.2015 macrumors newbie

Roger.2015

15. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

the mini is perfect for putting in your backpack.

16. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I went from an iPad 2 to a retina mini. The difference in weight is noticeable.

I used to carry a 15" MBP and an iPad 2. Now I carry an 11" MBA and a retina mini. It's so much nicer to carry.

17. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Hahaha.

Let's see. I sold my Air to get the rMini so that I could use it for work more. I am also a male who does not currently use Facebook.

Sorry to prove your claim wrong. ;)

To the OP, I have owned the original iPad, the 3rd Gen, an Air, and now the rMini. If you are going to be carrying a backpack anyway, then as some one else mentioned, the size difference between the Air and rMini are negligible.

I found that I didn't take my Air anywhere because I didn't want to carry any sort of backpack. I take my rMini with me quite a bit, and have it mounted in my car to use for music and GPS. I think you will be happy with either one. If you think that you will continue to carry a backpack for as long as you have the Air it may work better for you, if you want SLIGHTLY increase portability the rMini may be a better choice.

Either way, enjoy your iPad :)

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The Air fits in many shoulder bags, briefcases, even some large handbags. In fact, most bags that are too small for the Air will be considered purses, I would think.

19. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I'm not saying that it wouldn't fit in other bags. I only have a backpack, and I didn't want to carry it, so I left my Air at home.

20. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

The Air still quite portable. I can fit it into my medium sized handbag with the smart cover on easily. If you're taking a rucksack then I suppose it really doesn't matter which size you get.

The only time the mini is more advantageous in my opinion is say for example you are on the tube/Metro and it's really crowded its much easier to pull out your iPad mini than it is your iPad air.

21. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

The iPad mini. It's definitely better in the portability factor than the air.

You won't be missing out on any features that the iPad Air because they are the same, except the screen size and a small, insignificant internal component that makes the iPad mini clock in at 1.3 and the air at 1.4.

The mini is better.

22. bambooshots macrumors 65816

How small are most of your backpacks?

One reason I got rid of the mini is because I got tired of carrying such a small device in a large backpack (student who also works full time).

Just wasn't worth compromising the experience of use when it will be going in a backpack anyway.

23. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

My back disagrees with your statement :D > The less weight on my back the better, so iPad mini retina.

24. bambooshots macrumors 65816

Your back can differentiate between a 0.25lb difference?

Good lord get to the gym and slam some protein shakes man!

25. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I prefer the iPad Air, as it's lite enough for me.
    I carry it in my briefcase or in my hand. It doesn't matter.
    The mini is too small for practical use, specially when reading PDFs and editing photos, remote controlling a Server or writing a formatted document (with graphs, photos and tables) in Pages. Even with Spreadsheets.

I also use Notability, but I type with the touch keyboard while recording the lectures. Using the iPad Air in landscape orientation allows me to type quickly with both hands, without having to place them in an awkward position and risking wrist injury or carpal tunnel syndrome.
    The mini's keyboard is kind of uncomfortable for two hand typing for long periods of time.

That's my input, results may vary from person to person.