Resolved If your display glass is slightly loose, check for light leak!

Truthfulie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
Has anyone noticed LED backlight leaking? No, I am not talking about backlight bleed when the display is showing black. I mean the LED backlight actually leaks out the device and hits my eye. It happens in my iPhone 6 towards the infamous bend-gate area of the phone, volume buttons and the vibration toggle. There is a very thin strip of light leaking and the vibration toggle also leaks the light. It's clearly visible in a dark room but unfortunately, I don't have any picture of this issue since it is very hard to capture with a camera. What's funny is that if I push the glass down a bit, the leak can be sealed (at least the thin strip of light, not the light from the toggle). I don't have a bent phone which makes me think the glass isn't fully glued down as it should be.

Does anyone have/had this issue? I am planning to visit the Apple Store tonight when I get off work, wondering if anyone has experience dealing with such issue at the store because this is very hard to show them since their store is blindingly bright.

PS. I should probably get AppleCare+ for this phone...

Last edited:

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
If you have a camera, take a picture of it in the dark. Show the picture to the genius.

But of course, they can take the phone inside of their back office and take a look at it as well.

Truthfulie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
It is really tough to take picture of it since it can only be observed in total darkness. I guess I'll try to convince them to take it to the back.

It doesn't look like anyone is having this issue besides me?

Truthfulie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
Update

Went to the Apple Store and the genius who helped me replaced the unit without much fuss. If you have a display with loose display, check to see if it will leak LED backlight out of the phone. You should get it replaced!

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
It is really tough to take picture of it since it can only be observed in total darkness. I guess I'll try to convince them to take it to the back.

It doesn't look like anyone is having this issue besides me?
I have a little light leakage in my volume rocker when its in silent the switch, (the vibrate toggle switch) but my glass isnt loose anywhere, I can only see it when its dark but it bothers me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.