Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigres

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Simple question:

I am thinking of a 920, coming off iPhone.

Anyone have experience in dealing with contacts/calendars/ etc with using a Nokia device with the OSX system.

I know that apps will not be useful, and it's running Windows- but I want some first hand feedback from folks who are doing it.

Is it a complete pain in the a**, or is it doable and realitivly painless?

Including:
mail (apple)
Calendars
contacts

The rest I can work with...

Thanks for your input.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Simple question:

Anyone have experience in dealing with contacts/calendars/ etc with using a Nokia device with the OSX system.

I know that apps will not be useful, and it's running Windows- but I want some first hand feedback from folks who are doing it.

Including:
mail (apple)
Calendars
contacts

Thanks for your input.

A gmail account will transfer your contacts an calendar very easily. I just did this with my S3. I am sure the phone will have support for all other types of email clients just like Android. It's rather painless to be honest.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
It's not as convenient but doable. If your friends use iMessage, you might run into a lot of inconveniences. I did, so I switched back from the Lumia 900, also because my wife always wants to FaceTime me. I would go Nokia if I could use it as a hotspot without losing my AT&T unlimited plan and pair it with a iPod touch.

Google contacts sync in OSX sucks and there is no way to sync with Microsoft unless you have an exchange account.

I'm thinking about writing a small app that can sync address book contacts with Microsoft.

tigres

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
It's not as convenient but doable. If your friends use iMessage, you might run into a lot of inconveniences. I did, so I switched back from the Lumia 900, also because my wife always wants to FaceTime me. I would go Nokia if I could use it as a hotspot without losing my AT&T unlimited plan and pair it with a iPod touch.

Google contacts sync in OSX sucks and there is no way to sync with Microsoft unless you have an exchange account.

I'm thinking about writing a small app that can sync address book contacts with Microsoft.

Thanks milk242

Will I loose my unlimited if I pick up the 920? I have the iPhone unlimited now so I don't see why that would happen.

Facetime would stink for certain, but iMessage will just be texting as we have unlimited.

I am more concerned about the syncing of contacts/cal/. This is defiantly something I cannot have f'd up or broken. If osx, and google contacts suck, then what other options besides exchange.

That MS connector seems to solve the iTunes and photo stuff.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Thanks milk242

Will I loose my unlimited if I pick up the 920? I have the iPhone unlimited now so I don't see why that would happen.

Facetime would stink for certain, but iMessage will just be texting as we have unlimited.

I am more concerned about the syncing of contacts/cal/. This is defiantly something I cannot have f'd up or broken. If osx, and google contacts suck, then what other options besides exchange.

That MS connector seems to solve the iTunes and photo stuff.

I personally use the gmail contact syncing, but if you want to use exchange hotmail accounts are set up with exchange actisync by default in the emailapp so you could sync them that way as well. Calander syncs as well. Works extremely well and has full push support. Works with MSN.com hotmail.com, live.com, and outlook.com addresses. Pretty much any Microsoft email. I use an MSN account as my primary email.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
If you're currently using iCloud to sync calendar and contacts you'll either need to move to Google or some other online account. It may have changed as I haven't used WP 7.5 for quite a while but I have to use Google if I wanted to sync these items across devices. Hopefully there is a third party option similar to the SmoothSync apps on Android that made it possible to sync with iCloud.

The Windows Phone Connector app helps syncing media but that's it.

I have the same concerns as I hope to also pick up a Lumia 920 at some point as a second phone and integration with the Apple ecosystem is key.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Buy a real Nokia phone running Symbian and The Missing Sync for Symbian.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
I personally use the gmail contact syncing, but if you want to use exchange hotmail accounts are set up with exchange actisync by default in the emailapp so you could sync them that way as well. Calander syncs as well. Works extremely well and has full push support. Works with MSN.com hotmail.com, live.com, and outlook.com addresses. Pretty much any Microsoft email. I use an MSN account as my primary email.

I didn't know outlook.com used Active sync, if so that might be a viable option to sync calendar and contacts compared to Google. You get push for contacts rather than pull for contacts with Google on OS X every 15 mins.

----------

Buy a real Nokia phone running Symbian and The Missing Sync for Symbian.

I'd rather Nokia continue Meego Harmattan development but alas they have abandoned that and it seems to have reincarnated as BB10.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just use windows phone connector from the App Store. Syncs your calendars, contacts, photos and music. Job done.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Just use windows phone connector from the App Store. Syncs your calendars, contacts, photos and music. Job done.

But wireless cloud syncing is much more convenient. :)

Side note: One thing I do miss of WP, is the automatic reading and replying of text when on Bluetooth. That feature worked so well.

tigres

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007

I looked at that, but it appears that it did iTunes, photos and video. I did not see it also included contacts, cal etc. if so- back to syncing with a cable but at least it will work.

Hate to abandon the luxury of osx and iCloud to go to a windows phone, but I am seriously considering this avenue. IP5 was a downgrade to me over the 4s as I am having nothing but issues.

Nokia looks to have a solid phone on their hands, and the maps, photos, gif maker (for fun), looks to be quite solid. The quality has always been top notch as well; and for data/wifi/ and LTE- maybe I can finally have a solid f'n connection.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I had a Lumia 800 briefly, but thought Windows Phone Connector synced my contacts. It's possible it could gave just pulled them from my google account though I suppose.

The Lumia 920 would be the only phone to stop me getting an iPhone 5, however Windows Marketplace still lags behind IOS and PlayStore on Android.

iphonefan74

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Hate to abandon the luxury of osx and iCloud to go to a windows phone, but I am seriously considering this avenue.

Giving up OSX for a Windows phone is beyond absurd IMO. You could always buy a cheap Windows laptop or install Windows on your Mac

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I've been considering the same thing. Have an iPhone 4 and the contract is up. The Lumia appeals to me much more than the iPhone 5. No interest in Android.

Have any of you Windows Phone users been unhappy with the app selection? That's my main concern.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Google just enabled carddav support for contacts, so it will probably be easier to sync with OSX now

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I've been considering the same thing. Have an iPhone 4 and the contract is up. The Lumia appeals to me much more than the iPhone 5. No interest in Android.

Have any of you Windows Phone users been unhappy with the app selection? That's my main concern.

There's no words with friends, draw something, and Plants vs. Zombies hasn't been updated in a year it seems. Also, the Starbucks app, Papa John's app, and Discover card app are MIA.

Having said that, I lived without a smartphone for the first 20-some years of my life, and I prefer the WP7 UI over iOS. I can live without those apps for a bit longer.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana

I've been using a Windows Phone for the past year. The app selection could be better, but I've found apps for pretty much everything I need. The main think missing are apps like SongPop ad Instagram. I think as WP market share increase these types of apps will arrive.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Simple question:

Including:
mail (apple)
Calendars
contacts

Thanks for your input.

You just deal with it. There will be ways to do the things you want to do, you just have to find them. Those dependant on iTunes(god i hate iTunes) will have some adapting to do but you will get it and it will be just fine.

My Wife has a WP7 phone and her contacts showed up on it but i dont recall how. But they did appear when she set it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.