If your iphone is lost/stolen do you lose unlimited data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigbrowntruck, Jun 10, 2010.

1. bigbrowntruck macrumors member

Lets say I have iphone with $30 unlimited data plan. If I lose it or it gets stolen and I use a normal non smart phone what happens to my data plan? It would be nice if ATT would let you suspend it until a replacement if purchased. If they cancel your data and only let you get the new plan later that would really suck. Get your iphone stolen and then lose your unlimited plan. Just curious. I got my 2g stolen and upgraded to 3GS because my other line was eligible about 8 months ago. My original plan was stick with 2g until Iphone 4 was out. Luckily my primary line is eligible for upgrade now so I'll be upgrading come June 15th :)

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You can't suspend portions of your line. If your phone got stolen, you'd either use a smart/dumbphone and continue to use or atleast pay for the data plan, or you'd cancel it and save $30, but when you sign back up you'll be stuck at the new capped plans.

3. bigbrowntruck thread starter macrumors member

Thats what I was hoping. As long as you continue paying for data you are ok it sounds like. Are there cases where ATT has removed the data plan because you are on a non iPhone?

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

AFAIK, ATT won't remove your data plan if you are using a less than capable phone.

However they will add the data plan to your line if they detect an iPhone IMEI without an associated plan.

5. bigbrowntruck thread starter macrumors member

It doesn't seem they are enforcing a data plan on my other line. There is an iPhone 2G on my 2nd line for over 6 months without a data plan. I am hoping when I upgrade my 1st line with iPhone 4 the 2nd line can use my 3GS the same way it is using the 2G now without a data plan. If I get data planned forced on me for the 2nd line I will simply use the $15 plan. The person using the 2nd line basically just wants the music/calendar features and survives on wifi if needed.

6. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

My iPhone was stolen a few weeks ago :mad:. I went into the AT&T store to get my oldschool 1940s razr reactivated temporarily and the guy removed my data plan -- but this was with my consent, and it was before the whole "grandfathering" storm arose. Since then, I had my data plan reinstated even though I'm still using the razr (which I think can actually do data related stuff, but I wouldn't even know where to begin with it).

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Really? O. I've been hearing about the sweeps and had my own experience with T-Mo adding various packages when I swapped phones :eek: You can see the experience in threads like these.