If your phone breaks while using an app, would Apple compensate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thermal, Feb 6, 2014.

1. thermal macrumors regular

I was using an app (Flappy Bird) recently, and as a result my iPhone now has some physical damage.

Would the Apple store help with repairs/replacement if an iPhone experienced trouble due to an app?

2. easy-peasy macrumors regular

How can an app cause 'physical damage'?

You mean like if you download an application like a rock skipping game and while playing you accidentally throw your phone against the wall and want Apple to compensate you for it?

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

No, physical damage isn't covered.

That being said, you can take it in and ask, but I wouldn't expect anything...

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

As in pysical damage do you mean got mad and threw it at a wall?

5. thermal thread starter macrumors regular

Something like that (hangs head).

6. cynics macrumors G3

Kind of a ridiculous question. However I've seen/heard of Apple warranting a lot of stuff that they didn't need too. They've gotten stricter as of late but give it a shot.

Technical answer is no though. Should go without saying. :D

7. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

8. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

I would take it in late on a saturday, the genius could probably use a good laugh about then.

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

What kind of damage is it?

10. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

If the app went into one infinite loop and the thing melted down? Maybe you have a case (failed thermal shut-down???).

If it went on one finite trajectory? The case had better be iron-clad (or at least Lexan) - apparently, it wasn't. Besides, iPhones don't cause accidental damage, people do.

11. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I don't think Apple is obligated to do anything because it's not Apple's fault you got mad and threw your phone over a game. Candy Crush gets me mad all the time but that doesn't mean I'm gonna chuck my phone at a wall because it pissed me off. You just have to remember it's JUST a game. Relax. Sorry you broke your phone, but you're out of luck.

12. imanidiot macrumors 6502a

This is, without question, one of the dumbest threads of all time.

13. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Can you explain to us why exactly you think Apple should cover a phone you broke intentionally?

15. cynics macrumors G3

Sounds more accidentally albeit him being at fault.

16. J5TS0, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014

J5TS0 macrumors newbie

J5TS0

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Originally Posted by The Doctor11 View Post
    As in pysical damage do you mean got mad and threw it at a wall?
    Something like that (hangs head).

Doesn't sound like an accident to me.

18. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Temporary insanity? You might have a case, let me refer you to Jackie Chiles.

[​IMG]

19. jj03 macrumors member

sorry for being rude BUT thats the most DUMBEST question i have heard on this thread so far!!!

20. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The app wasn't the problem.

They can certainly help if you have AppleCare+ and use an incident. Or you can pay the out of warranty fee.

21. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Trouble due to an app would be software based so they would replace the software. Physical Damage would be damage. doesn't matter to them that you tossed your phone against a wall because of frustration with a stupid app.

Actually it might so I wouldn't mention that. intentional damage is grounds to deny service. So if you gave the tech a reason to be an ass they might use that against you.

As for getting coverage even with damage there are only three times they have any leeway, case by case, to cover something
    1. very small hairline crack with no impact points that they truly feel was an accident and you aren't trying to scam them. and there are no other issues
    2. slight and external only LCI tripped and totally unrelated to issue. Say like a speck of color in the headphone jack but your issue is that the battery is defective and there is zero sign of any liquid in the charging dock or battery connectors.
    3. history recorded in their system of previous issue that mandates repair or swap and happened prior to damage. And no other damage exists. so say like i come in with an iPhone that is having a display issue. keeps going weird colors and the touch stops working in places. Needs a new display put on. But I'm paranoid about my data and I'm not sure I want them to open my phone unless i'm 100% positive I have a backup and I don't want to use iCloud. so i take it home to do it and come back in a day or two. Tech puts in a note so I don't have to waste time retesting, etc. But then my kid drops it and the screen gets all cracked up. Because of that note, they can overlook the damage and not charge me. If I hadn't been in, even if I said there was an issue before I dropped it, the drop takes precedence. Same if it went into water in the meantime because that causes damage to other parts.

22. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

"The most dumbest"

23. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Have you played flappy bird? It will do it to you lol.

24. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Pretty sure the op is kidding... Every time I play flappy bird I want to throw my phone too.