If you're debating on waiting or buying now...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by harmar, Jul 16, 2014.

  1. harmar macrumors newbie

    Jul 16, 2014
    Don't bother waiting. I was in the same position for past 8 months. Originally I was waiting for the mac mini, since it seemed like a refresh would be right around the corner. Then in April I analyzed my options and determined the iMac would actually fit my needs better, so was researching that and thought I would wait until WWDC to see if anything would be announced.. After seeing the low end model released I realized I could not wait any longer.
    So I sprung for just the base 21" i5 2.7Ghz model with the 256GB SSD upgrade.
    Do not regret it at all, this machine is fast. Does everything I need it to extremely fast. I was debating going for i7 in the 21" model but was starting to get too expensive.

    I use the machine for Web Development (PHP with Symfony framework), iOS development, and android development. It has been extremely fast for all of these purposes.

    I am a long time windows user (25 years since Windows 3.11).. I also still use windows as my main personal machine. This is first time ever really using a mac (outside of running one in VMWare for iOS development).. It is taking getting used to the operating system, and basically getting my memory to realize command = ctrl.. And trying to learn all the new keyboard binds.
    I also HATE how Apple put the function key where the ctrl key is suppose to be. I cannot get used to that, so I downloaded Karabiner and swapped the fn and ctrl key.. I may end up just going back to my old keyboard or buying a full sized apple keyboard as I cannot stand this small keyboard with no numberpad. Anyways I digress.... Some things I love with osx such as spaces and spotlight that just trump anything on base windows install. However I still much prefer windows taskbar over the dock, and I prefer menu bar to be bound per window not desktop. I often have multiple applications running at once and it is annoying how I have to actually activate the app first before I can use a menu command, whereas in windows I can actually click on the menu without the window being currently activated.. but fairly minor issue.

    Anyways TLDR: if you are on the fence, just go ahead and buy now you won't regret it.
  2. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    If you don't need to buy and you can wait, your patience will be rewarded with a newer technology.

    To put it another way, why spend over 2k for older technology when waiting (if you can) will yield new components.

    I waited 6 months for the Ivy Bridge laptop and I'm glad I did because I also got the retina display. :)
  3. harmar thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 16, 2014
    You are right, if you don't NEED it now, and can afford/have patience to wait then go ahead and wait.. Which is why I waited 8 months because I didn't need it then. However my machine just kept getting worse and worse, and I pretty much needed it now, and if a new version came out in 2-3 months I wouldn't even regret it.
    The thing with technology that I learned decades ago is that there is ALWAYS something better just around the corner. So if we keep on waiting you will never upgrade.
  4. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

    Feb 26, 2011
    My original plan was MacBook Pro in 2013, 21 inch iMac in 2014. However, after getting the retina display MBP, I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on an iMac and have just been using the laptop. I'd like a bigger screen and my wife took over my Thunderbolt display but I've decided to just wait for the next iMac refresh. I'm hoping for a retina option. I'll get the next model of iMac regardless but if I bought now and a retina option came out in late 2014/ early 2015 I know I'd be kicking myself.
  5. Th3taJ macrumors member


    Jul 14, 2014
    Milford, NH
    Yeah, purchasing the very newest device versus older hardware for near same price is really the way to go. I purchased the $2,000 27" iMac and it's best computer purchase I've ever made. I love it so much that I don't expect the 2014 model will make me regret my decision to buy. In your own perception, if it's new to you than it's new. You don't have to wait if you don't want to! :D

    Either way you're purchasing a top notch device.
  6. Neil-A macrumors newbie

    Jul 16, 2014
    One advantage I found when waiting for the next iteration of a Mac to come out was that when it is released, the previous model at some suppliers drop the price quite a good bit.

    I remember saving nearly £300-£400 on a 17" MacBook Pro in 2009.

    End of the day, it depends on what is expected in the next product and if that is a feature you need.

    For me, things like CPU bumps are no longer a reason to upgrade these days, if you have a model from the previous two years. Screens, memory and SSD's are more of a reason to upgrade for me but even then, it's got to be be way better than what I have at the time.

Share This Page