Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Seeing a lot of people saying they've been having terrible battery life on iOS 14.5 and onwards on their iPhones, I was one of them.

Turns out macrumors is having some issues on their site/forums which is draining peoples battery like no tomorrow, they are working on a fix.

Decided not to use my iPhone 12 Pro max and iPad on this site and forums yesterday, boy oh boy my battery life is amazing again.

Done the same thing again today and battery life is still going strong.

Hopefully a fix isn't far off 🥺🙏

Post 929 👇 Post 932 👇

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Yep, definitely issues with the Macrumours site causing battery drain on my 12 mini since 14.6. After about 5 mins on the site, back of my phone starts warming up, then battery % drops. I reckon its the Advert holder macros constantly refreshing. I found when my phone is on 'low power' though, i dont get the battery drops or warming up on the back.

Reactions: LFC2020

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
It'll be advert related if it is the site, I have noticed a big increase in number and variety of ads on the site lately.

Would some of our paying users care to report back if they have seen any difference? I'm not aware of the scale of advert reduction you get with being a paid user but some of internet ads delivered can be process intensive.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Yep, definitely issues with the Macrumours site causing battery drain on my 12 mini since 14.6. After about 5 mins on the site, back of my phone starts warming up, then battery % drops. I reckon its the Advert holder macros constantly refreshing. I found when my phone is on 'low power' though, i dont get the battery drops or warming up on the back.
Low power mode may disable certain features on Safari for just that purpose.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
I
I was installing every beta under the sun, hoping it would fix the issue, all along it was macrumors bringing my battery to its knees 🤦‍♂️😂

Think they’re trying to give us the Samsung experience 🤔

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Seeing a lot of people saying they've been having terrible battery life on iOS 14.5 and onwards on their iPhones, I was one of them.

Turns out macrumors is having some issues on their site/forums which is draining peoples battery like no tomorrow, they are working on a fix.

Decided not to use my iPhone 12 Pro max and iPad on this site and forums yesterday, boy oh boy my battery life is amazing again.

Post 929 👇 Post 932 👇

Interesting thought. I didn’t experience any battery issue and use private dns to filter out the ad.

Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Interesting thought. I didn’t experience any battery issue and use private dns to filter out the ad.
Back on here on my iPhone tonight. Look what happened. 🤦‍♂️😡

A0B355DC-0A6C-4325-816A-8FB0022A6E40.jpeg

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
I bet the Macrumours administrators are sweating right now reading this thread ;) lol...
Hopefully gets fixed soon, jumped on here last night with 50% battery life, phone was heating up quicker than a exynos 2100 chip, next thing I know I'm down to 15%. 🥵

Hopefully they cut back on some of these ads and flashing adverts, or rebuild the site.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Macrumours, please take serious note of this thread and clean up your websites macros, otherwise Members will start using their laptops or tablets to view the site, NOT their iPhone's which will will seriously diminish your sites traffic.

• Love
Reactions: Pearsey and LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Macrumours, please take serious note of this thread and clean up your websites macros, otherwise Members will start using their laptops or tablets to view the site, NOT their iPhone's which will will seriously diminish your sites traffic.
Hopefully the fix doesn't take as long as Manchester United title drought 😅

How is the site more efficient on a laptop? tablet ain't any better mate, iPad is getting smashed as well, lost 9% writing 2 post previously and 5% yesterday writing 1 post.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Problem is, IF it is the ads then all this site can do is blacklist the offending ads out as they are discovered - and from experience it's an onerous task discovering and reporting them to the advertising agent. The last thing an advertiser wants to do is take the blame for draining battery, let's not forget that there may be other factors at play - it's too easy to demonise the advertising network.

That said, I have noticed some quirks with ads of differing sizes popping up in ad spaces they may not belong in - this makes content appear to bounce around so it does feel that ads are being misplaced even if the ads may be absolutely fine.

On the other hand, an option clearly presents itself with paying to remove the ads if people wish to improve their experience and contribute to the running of a site that isn't free to host.

One shouldn't need a ad blocker to use a Internet forum.
Well, if the ads becoming annoying enough a percentage of people will go after an ad blocker - or pay to remove them.

Perhaps one of the increasing number of people who appear to have paid to remove the ads could pipe up with a few words on what the experience is like without the ads?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Problem is, IF it is the ads then all this site can do is blacklist the offending ads out as they are discovered - and from experience it's an onerous task discovering and reporting them to the advertising agent. The last thing an advertiser wants to do is take the blame for draining battery, let's not forget that there may be other factors at play - it's too easy to demonise the advertising network.

That said, I have noticed some quirks with ads of differing sizes popping up in ad spaces they may not belong in - this makes content appear to bounce around so it does feel that ads are being misplaced even if the ads may be absolutely fine.

On the other hand, an option clearly presents itself with paying to remove the ads if people wish to improve their experience and contribute to the running of a site that isn't free to host.

Well, if the ads becoming annoying enough a percentage of people will go after an ad blocker - or pay to remove them.

Perhaps one of the increasing number of people who appear to have paid to remove the ads could pipe up with a few words on what the experience is like without the ads?
I've stopped using this forum on my iOS/iPadOS devices. the heat and battery drain is brutal.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Hopefully the fix doesn't take as long as Manchester United title drought 😅

How is the site more efficient on a laptop? tablet ain't any better mate, iPad is getting smashed as well, lost 9% writing 2 post previously and 5% yesterday writing 1 post.
I said laptops as they can be plugged in so no battery drain. That’s what I’m doing at the moment, using my work Surface Laptop 3 to view Macrumours (I know Windows ugh). My Air 4 seems ok though, getting normal battery life on this forum, it’s still on 14.2 so not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

Post 929 👇 Post 932 👇

I have noticed the typing issue but not the battery issue.

Not had any heat on my 11 Pro Max or iPad Pro 11”.

Last edited:

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Yeah definitely heats up my 12 pro max and 12.9 iPad, thought my new 12.9 may have been faulty but only happens on this website.
Nothing wrong with your iPad, my phone was red hot last night, went from 50% to 15% in no time at all, refuse to use this site and forum on my iPhone and iPad, until we get confirmation that's it's fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.