Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
14” owner here and I just picked up an M2 MBA today. To me, it’s a no brainer. The 14” is getting sold. The size difference between the two completely changes where/when I want to use my laptop. I’m amazed by how slim the MBA is. The better battery life is just icing on the cake. This is the computer I always wanted the 12” MacBook to be.

Do I notice the inferior speaker quality compared to my 14”? Yes. Do I notice the lack of miniLED? Absolutely. Do both of those things outweigh the lighter weight and footprint of the MBA? Nope. Not for me.

This MBA is a damn fine machine and will work perfectly for my needs.
Out of curiosity, for your needs would you miss the extra power, connections and dual external monitors option the 14” having?

Also which MBA spec you got?

Misheemee

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
So we have one guy who says he has both, doesn't, and has a MBA M1 instead. Vast difference in screen quality on the M2 Air.

The other guy says I must be jealous because the Pro is discounted. Lol. Even if it was discounted even further, I wouldn't get a 1 year old laptop which is a chunky monkey.

I absolutely love moving around with my beautiful thin Air.

I am laughing my head off that there's comments along the lines of the Air M2 not being smooth when scrolling web pages. It is smooth. Dead smooth.
Had you read it properly, Your “one guy, who says he has both” is a girl, who said she “owns both a MBP 14” and M1 MBA”. I never claimed to own a M2 MBA - I stated I own 2 devices

I own both a MBP 14" and M1 MBA and there is a massive visual difference with pro motion in scrolling. While I realise the M2 MBA is an upgrade, I don't see there being that much of a difference in the screen between the M1 MBA and M2 MBA, but even if there was a Retina Screen is not going to be as good as a Mini LED. I'm not saying it's bad, but the Mini LED is a better screen.

I bought the M1 MBA to satiate my MBP 14" craving first, but really wanted all bells and whistles upgrades - pro motion being a driving force, coming from iPhone 13 pro max and and iPad Pro 12.9"

I used this example on another post as I find whether something is visually noticeable or not, subjective - for years people kept talking about upgrades on iPhone screens and I didn't really find a noticeable difference and wondered what all the fuss was about. Then I got my eyes tested and got glasses for computer use and reading and looked at my phone screen wearing them - and finally understood what all the fuss is about.

Fact - there are people who are going to prefer the M2 MBA over the MBP 14" and vice versa. ATM, with the sales on the MBP 14" - with all of the additional features the MBP 14" is better value than the M2 MBA - the MBP 14" is on for 1599 at Best Buy - the M2 MBA can't beat that value wise for the feature set.

There are some people on this thread that will argue until they're blue in the face - just enjoy your device that you chose for your needs.

Last edited:

tim1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Same with my M1 12.9 iPad Pro. In casual usage it is fine, and I do use it alot when i am outside. But a laptop should cover more in terms of “essentials”.
Is the iPad Air vs iPad Pro a fair comparison as the mbp to air?

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
14” owner here and I just picked up an M2 MBA today. To me, it’s a no brainer. The 14” is getting sold. The size difference between the two completely changes where/when I want to use my laptop. I’m amazed by how slim the MBA is. The better battery life is just icing on the cake. This is the computer I always wanted the 12” MacBook to be.

Do I notice the inferior speaker quality compared to my 14”? Yes. Do I notice the lack of miniLED? Absolutely. Do both of those things outweigh the lighter weight and footprint of the MBA? Nope. Not for me.

This MBA is a damn fine machine and will work perfectly for my needs.
Isn’t the MBA 1 even slimmer and smaller?

Air_M1

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2021
For me, it's no brainer going with MBP M1 at $1599. I have MBA M1. I can tell you that I enjoy carrying around and using the MBP more than MBA. The MBP sound and display are more pleasing than the MBA.

tim1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
For me, it's no brainer going with MBP M1 at $1599. I have MBA M1. I can tell you that I enjoy carrying around and using the MBP more than MBA. The MBP sound and display are more pleasing than the MBA.
how does weight and thickness compare? I have a 16 inch m1 its much thicker than the air.

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
Seems like base model MBA is the best value point for it. If you spec up a couple of things between SSD, RAM, and extra GPU cores, you are knocking on the door of that 14” MBP price point. At that point the decision comes down to really only 1 true factor: is the MBA portability absolutely worth more to you than all of the increased features of 14” MBP, fans and killer screen chief among them (for a person like me, at least).

That’s really what it comes down to.

Reactions: Benhama

Air_M1

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2021
how does weight and thickness compare? I have a 16 inch m1 its much thicker than the air.
I don't think the M1 14 is much thicker or heavier than the air. You can compare spec on Apple site, but personally it's best to compare them physically at the store. Personally I don't notice much of difference between my MBA M1 and MBP M1 14, carrying around in my backpack. Of course if you only carry just MBA vs MBP without any stuffs in your backpack, you will notice the weight difference, 2.8lbs air M1 vs 3.5lbs pro M1 14. Is 0.7 lb too heavy? With all the stuffs I have in my backpack, I don't notice if MBA or MBP in my backpack. For the current sale price on the MBP M1 14, it's a better value than the air M2 with a similar spec.

Reactions: MajorFubar

Air_M1

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2021
sure there is; i weigh the options, my needs, and then decide what to get. that's when i know 'what i want'.
I guess we all have different value matrix. For me, $$$$, features, performance, and portability. The MBP 14 fell short on portability, but not much to MBA. Everything else MBP 14 got the lead.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I guess we all have different value matrix. For me, $$$$, features, performance, and portability. The MBP 14 fell short on portability, but not much to MBA. Everything else MBP 14 got the lead.
as you say, 'we all have different value matrix'. for me: features, performance, portability, mixed with need.. and desire.

Psyclism

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
For me, the most important considerations when trying to decide between the M2 Air and the 14" M1 MBP were - adequate horsepower, extreme portability, battery life, lap-ability, and battery life.. And did I mention battery life? I need a laptop that has enough power to do my daily tasks, which include running VS Code, web applications and database applications hosted locally, a Parallels VM running Windows 11, and many concurrent tabs in Chrome and Safari. And it needs to be able to do it for an 8 hour day away from a power cable. I spent nearly 2 weeks doing a side by side comparison between the base 14" and the M2 Air (10/16/1Tb), and came to the conclusion that the M2 Air ran all of those tasks without breaking a sweat. It *never* gets even slightly warm to the touch. It's feather light -- it feels nearly identical to my iPad Pro 12. The battery lasts friggin forever. I've worked unplugged for 10 hour days and still had 30% battery left. The 14" screen gave me blinding headaches after 5-6 hours of use. I've never been sensitive to PWM screens before, but the one in the 14" made up for lost time. I also prefer the look and feel of the M2 Air over the thick and retro bar-of-soap look of the MBP. In fact, the first time my wife saw the Pro, she looked at me and said "man, that thing is thick and ugly! What was Apple thinking?" And I agree, the slab sides of the Pro are not exactly aesthetically pleasing. They could have lopped off a fair bit of thickness by going with a mDP port instead of HDMI. Anyway, I ultimately went with the M2 Air -- I don't need native support for 2+ monitors. My second monitor is my iPad Pro using Sidecar. I don't need the ability to render 4/8K video for hours at a time. I have a very nice usb-c adapter to pull in SD card data from my cameras and hook to HDMI monitors, which is arguably easier to carry when needed than lugging around the MBP all of the time with the .01% chance I'll need any of those extra ports.

If you NEED the sustained horsepower of the MBP, then by all means get the MBP. I don't and likely won't. I'd wager that 98% of MacBook buyers don't either. If saving 2 minutes of processing time when processing the one video a year you import is worth the weight and battery life sacrifices that come with the 14", then by all means, man up. If having the most powerful laptop you'll never actually fully utilize makes you sleep better at night, you do you. If you absolutely have to be able to plug in two monitors into two thunderbolt ports, rather than using a single plug Thunderbolt dock with 2 outputs, then you have no choice but to buy the 14". But if you browse the web, import some photos every few months, edit docs using Word, video conference, watch YouTube and maybe stream some movies every once in a while, then you don't need the 14".. I can assure you that the M2 Air is MORE than up for the task.

For me, the M2 Air met every single one of my high priority needs, and will easily meet every single tertiary need, both now and in the future. I didn't feel the need to go buy a Ford F350 for the once every three year occasion where I wanted to make a lumber run in a single trip, when I could own a more daily practical vehicle and make 2 runs instead.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
For me, the most important considerations when trying to decide between the M2 Air and the 14" M1 MBP were - adequate horsepower, extreme portability, battery life, lap-ability, and battery life.. And did I mention battery life? I need a laptop that has enough power to do my daily tasks, which include running VS Code, web applications and database applications hosted locally, a Parallels VM running Windows 11, and many concurrent tabs in Chrome and Safari. And it needs to be able to do it for an 8 hour day away from a power cable. I spent nearly 2 weeks doing a side by side comparison between the base 14" and the M2 Air (10/16/1Tb), and came to the conclusion that the M2 Air ran all of those tasks without breaking a sweat. It *never* gets even slightly warm to the touch. It's feather light -- it feels nearly identical to my iPad Pro 12. The battery lasts friggin forever. I've worked unplugged for 10 hour days and still had 30% battery left. The 14" screen gave me blinding headaches after 5-6 hours of use. I've never been sensitive to PWM screens before, but the one in the 14" made up for lost time. I also prefer the look and feel of the M2 Air over the thick and retro bar-of-soap look of the MBP. In fact, the first time my wife saw the Pro, she looked at me and said "man, that thing is thick and ugly! What was Apple thinking?" And I agree, the slab sides of the Pro are not exactly aesthetically pleasing. They could have lopped off a fair bit of thickness by going with a mDP port instead of HDMI. Anyway, I ultimately went with the M2 Air -- I don't need native support for 2+ monitors. My second monitor is my iPad Pro using Sidecar. I don't need the ability to render 4/8K video for hours at a time. I have a very nice usb-c adapter to pull in SD card data from my cameras and hook to HDMI monitors, which is arguably easier to carry when needed than lugging around the MBP all of the time with the .01% chance I'll need any of those extra ports.

If you NEED the sustained horsepower of the MBP, then by all means get the MBP. I don't and likely won't. I'd wager that 98% of MacBook buyers don't either. If saving 2 minutes of processing time when processing the one video a year you import is worth the weight and battery life sacrifices that come with the 14", then by all means, man up. If having the most powerful laptop you'll never actually fully utilize makes you sleep better at night, you do you. If you absolutely have to be able to plug in two monitors into two thunderbolt ports, rather than using a single plug Thunderbolt dock with 2 outputs, then you have no choice but to buy the 14". But if you browse the web, import some photos every few months, edit docs using Word, video conference, watch YouTube and maybe stream some movies every once in a while, then you don't need the 14".. I can assure you that the M2 Air is MORE than up for the task.

For me, the M2 Air met every single one of my high priority needs, and will easily meet every single tertiary need, both now and in the future. I didn't feel the need to go buy a Ford F350 for the once every three year occasion where I wanted to make a lumber run in a single trip, when I could own a more daily practical vehicle and make 2 runs instead.

Well said. The size difference is significant in actual use. It's not a matter of lifting more weights, bro, either. The Air is just so darn portable.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Even if the Air and the Pro were priced the same for 16/512, that would still be reasonable to me.

One is thinner and lighter but lower specs, the other is higher specs but thicker and heavier. Neither is objectively better value. It depends on personal requirements; power or portability.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
That's odd - I am in the UK and cannot find a MBA M2 16/512 on Costco at all, let alone for that price.
Not odd. Just out of stock - they sold out very quickly.
BC2C0A84-AE42-4F70-8B8B-8A8B1BE8B40B.png

Shaka04

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2022
Ooof, I can see why at that price. I've just picked up a MBA 8/512 10-Core from John Lewis for £1399. Suits my needs but hate to think I missed out on this deal - I doubt it'll return at that price though. (Will keep an eye on it though!)

kyriostrife

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010

I was sold on the m1 14 mbp but this has me rethinking getting the m2 air especially with them being discounted now. I do light photo/video editing here and there as the most taxing thing. Otherwise everything would be a breeze on the m2 air compared to my 2014 15” mbp.

I don’t do 2 monitor set ups. I would like an hdmi port for when I rarely plug my a7rii in for streaming/recording but that can be solved with a dock as I don’t do this often.

I travel with my 15” but I can say I don’t like taking it off my desk when at home. I just never want to lug it around the house because of the fans, heat, etc. I know even the 14” would be an improvement. But the air seems so much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.