If you've been waiting to upgrade, what's next?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by CAWjr, May 31, 2014.

  1. CAWjr macrumors 6502

    CAWjr

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2010
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #1
    If a new mini is announced on Monday, it's safe to say that most of the people who frequent this subforum will go out & get one. But what if no update is announced, or (gasp) the mini is discontinued? What is your next course of action?

    I'm still running (and "running" is a stretch) a 2007 MBP as my desktop & it desperately needs to be put out to pasture. I have been patiently waiting for a new mini to come out & I'm hoping that it comes on Monday. If not, I'm not sure what I will do. I don't want to get an iMac because the all-in-one nature of it doesn't fit my needs. I may go look at the refurbs on apple.com. I just hate buying into something that is 2 year old technology. Another possible option is a new MBP & run it as a desktop like I am running my current MBP, but that's investing more into a machine than I really want to for features I don't need (I have a MBA for the road, so I don't need a new laptop).

    So what's your course of action if a new mini isn't released?
     
  2. marclondon macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2009
    Location:
    London
    #2
    I'm running a 2009 2GHz core 2 duo Mini and it's also showing its age with the load I'm putting on it. I have two decent monitors and like you I don't want an iMac.

    I will be seriously considering the entry level Mac Pro as I can get the VAT back plus an 8% discount on it which brings the cost down by more than a fifth. But still it is a big outlay but will probably last more than five years. Apart from price, the only thing that puts me off is the power consumption - the Mini is very frugal.

    M.
     
  3. thedeske macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2013
    #3
    The current Mini with an SSD is still a nice upgrade from the 2 systems listed above. The I.O. alone is miles ahead. Just a thought.
     
  4. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

    ZombiePete

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    Location:
    San Antonio, TX
    #4
    The only upgrade I plan on buying this year is the iPhone 6. My Mac Mini does everything I want it to beautifully. The only other purchase I might consider later this year is a nicer monitor.

    I suspect that the Mac Mini is probably being discontinued and the cheaper iMac is going to become the new "entry level" Mac, which I personally think is a shame because I'm not a huge fan of all-in-one systems. I love how out of the way my Mini is; it fits perfectly into my "command center".
     
  5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

    FreakinEurekan

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2011
    Location:
    Eureka Springs, Arkansas
    #5
    Love my Mini but I'm really contemplating going with the 27" iMac next anyway. The faster processor, better GPU, and ability to run my two current 20" UltraSharps on either side of the iMac (3 total displays, difficult with a Mini) are just too appealing.
     
  6. OS-SEX macrumors member

    OS-SEX

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2012
    #6
    Apple is not gonna force me into an iMac. I have 2 perfectly good cinema displays that I intend to keep using. I just picked up an 09 Mac Pro and upgraded it with SSD and a better video card. I'm really happy with it and no more external drives all over the place!
     
  7. marclondon macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2009
    Location:
    London
    #7
    Indeed - I regret not getting one when they came out or soon after. But like many here it feels like buying old technology now and as I would want the top spec one it would still be quite expensive.
     
  8. Micky Do macrumors 68000

    Micky Do

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2012
    Location:
    An island in the Andaman Sea.
    #8
    My early 2009 Mini continues to be fine for my needs, bit if it threw a wobbly, the most likely cause would be the HDD (still on the original). I would look at the cost effectiveness of repair (probably with an SSD) vs buying a new Mini.

    The current model, or some hypothetical new model wouldn't come into the decision… I would be wanting something to plug in and use within a day or two.

    Two year old technology is not all that old these days. A few years ago computer tech was advancing exponentially. Nowadays it is incremental…. to the disappointment of many here.

    In short, if what you have is working for you, stick with it. If it isn't, replace it.
     
  9. scottsjack macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2010
    Location:
    Arizona
    #9
    My 2012 mini 2.3 i7 is not as fast as my 2010 MP 3.2 quad but it's certainly fast enough. I am toying with the idea of selling the MP, buying an Acer (maybe) or HP (most likely) Hazwell quad business machine.

    Then I would move my W8.1.1 installation from the mini's OEM HD, where it works really great BTW, and use that HDD for the iTunes library as well as Elgato EyeTV DVR files.

    An HP EliteDesk 800 with an i7 3.2 quad, four RAM slots, eight USB ports, a couple PCIe slots (limited depending on the case size) costs no more an a current 2.6 i7 mini and already comes with a three-year warranty. Being a business machine it and the cheaper Acer alternative have no shiny plastic or goofy "awesome" lighting.

    My only regret then would be that I was too cheap to get a 2.6GHz mini. The faster CPU mini was $160 more and I could not justify it at the time. My mini set up, 2.3GHz quad, 16GB RAM, 960GB Crucial M500 SSD is a delight to use. It is way fast enough for what I use it for, typically Photoshop CS6, Aperture 3, Office 2011, and Quicken.
     
  10. mojolicious macrumors 68000

    mojolicious

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2014
    Location:
    Sarf London
    #10
    Heh, looking at the responses so far it appears it's very unsafe to say that!

    My base 2011 model (with SSD) is absolutely FINE for my purposes. The only thing I'm 'missing' is USB3, which would come in handy for Time Machine and archiving.

    Barring Minideath I can't see myself upgrading for many years yet. It will basically be when I can no longer run a supported OS, or more likely when Flash content causes the processor to curl up and die.

    If the Mini *is* discontinued – which I think is hugely unlikely – then I might consider buying a high spec Late 2012 model while I still can. Ditto if the Mini is completely redesigned to prevent user upgrades.

    If there is a refresh, or a new Mini which remains user-upgradeable, then I'll simply stay as I am, happy in the knowledge that the Mini is 'still with us'.
     
  11. mdgm macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2010
    #11
    If the mini is discontinued I will probably get one or two of the 2012 quad-core ones.
     
  12. applereviewguy macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2011
    #12
    I ended up selling my 2009 2.26 mini that I had been using as an HTPC. I built an HTPC, but I am missing OS X so much... Might get one.
     
  13. kanon14 macrumors regular

    kanon14

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2008
    Location:
    Hong Kong
    #13
    I'm still using a 07 C2D Mini and I've been holding out to get a new Mini for a year already. If they don't update the Mini on Monday I'll just buy whatever the current gen.
     
  14. BuyCurious macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 28, 2014
    #14
    I'm curious as to what kind of update people are expecting.
    I mean, surely the best we can hope for is an unchanged Mini that has a Haswell CPU and can thus compete with the 2011 one?
     
  15. MarkusL macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2014
    #15
    I guess I will have to buy an iMac and put a paper bag over its head...

    Actually, I have prepared a shopping cart with an Intel NUC, ready to order on Monday if needed. If I was the owner of a 2012 Mini or even the previous one, I would not sit here waiting for the new one. But I'm in the position of not owning a computer (typing this on my employer's property) and actually need (not just want) to buy one in the near future. For people like me who need to buy a computer but are allergic to paying 2012 prices for 2012 hardware in 2014, alternatives must be explored.

    So my plan B is the cheapest bottom-of-the-barrel NUC, the Atom based one. By no means a replacement for a Mac Mini, but just enough to get me through the near future. And it's not much learning money we're talking about. The cost of the whole system is comparable to what upgrading the current Mini would be to give it with the same amount of RAM and SSD as I'm planning for the NUC. Or it would be if Apple even offered an SSD upgrade for the low-end Mini, but you get my point...

    This will give me a chance to evaluate how much I hate Linux, and depending on that I will maybe (probably) be back to Apple if they resurrect the Mini line. A Broadwell Mini with an updated thermal design and less noise would be great. And if it never comes, then this experience will leave me better prepared for when I go for Linux on the Broadwell NUC.
     
  16. ABC5S macrumors 68040

    ABC5S

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2013
    Location:
    Florida
    #16
    If no new Mini, I will keep my 2011 Mini for as long as I can. Will never buy the 2012 model no matter what. Cannot even think of giving Apple a full price to a old system. Apple should have lowered the price by now, but they are greedy.

    :mad:
     
  17. apfelmann macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2007
    #17
    so true!
    Monday is Judgement Day: New mini at lower Price please!
     
  18. signor-rossi macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2014
    #18
    Get a new Shuttle XS35V4 instead of the NUC, much better value. I might be getting one of these if a new Mini isn't announced soon. Fanless and explicitly stated for 24/7 operation with the right drive, place for a slim optical drive or another 2,5" drive. Now if there only was a media server software around that supports QuickSync it would even be a perfect low-power real-time video transcoding machine for my phone or tablet on my home network.
     
  19. divergirl macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2012
    #19
    Dear lord I hope not. I'm hoping to buy a Mac Mini because I hate the clamshell form-factor of laptops but I relocate to other countries semi-frequently. If I had an iMac it'd be way too hard to transport, but a Mac Mini + keyboard and trackpad weighs hardly anything, and I could just buy a television at my new home to use as a monitor/speakers. That's simply not possible with an iMac.
     
  20. AlabamaSlammer macrumors 6502

    AlabamaSlammer

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2012
    Location:
    Alabama
    #20
    Like many I am hoping for a new/updated mac mini on Monday. If one is not announced or if they discontinue it I'll buy a refurb ASAP
     
  21. apfelmann macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2007
    #21
    Yes, come on apple:
    Haswell mini with iris pro tomorrow - you're gonna sell a lot more minis than before

    Next step: Broadwell mini as soon as possible - you're gonna sell even more again

    It's a WIN WIN for everyone

    (Quad-core mini users will never ever buy any ********** low end iMac!!!! Understood?????)
     
  22. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #22

    My guess is either way things go today there's a fair bit of pent up demand and refurbs may be scarce for a while.

    If you're looking to get one sooner vs later, it might be wise to place an order on an appropriate refurb this morning and then either keep the order or cancel it later today. If a new mini is announced and there's price drop on the refurbs that leads you to still go with a refurb, get a price adjustment. If no new mini is announced, keep the refurb order (and price adjust if the pricing changes).
     
  23. wiredup72 macrumors regular

    wiredup72

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2011
    #23
    I can wait through the summer, but no longer. I'll build something if no new mini comes out.
     
  24. AlabamaSlammer, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014

    AlabamaSlammer macrumors 6502

    AlabamaSlammer

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2012
    Location:
    Alabama
    #24
    I swear I just did that. Just placed an order for a refurb 2.3 i7

    the only thing I'm not sure about is, if Apple drops the price of the refurbs today will they adjust my order to match that price or will I need to cancel that order and reorder it with the lower price
     
  25. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #25
    Too funny, I did the same thing this morning. Ordered for in-store pickup. TBH, I'm not even that sure I truly need it right now, but if Apple does something drastic with the Mini line having an order in place gives me some options.

    If the price changes, you should be able to just call Apple and get the price adjustment without cancelling/reordering. See the "Price Reductions" portion here: https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/sales-policies/retail_us.html
     

Share This Page