If you've got 2wire wireless problems (Won't connect)...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Muncher, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I just went though this recently with my new mac, and thougt I'd post the solution: when entering the WEP key to connect, if it doesn't work normally, type a dollar sign in front of the wep key itself. Keep trying, it might not work the first time, but it should work. Out-of-the-box. Yeah, right. :p

2. kerotab macrumors member

kerotab

doesn't work for me. I've had this problems for a while and I've tried EVERYTHING from here http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=63760

But still it doesn't work. I'm currently using an Ethernet connection with my C2D macbook. I know the airport on my mac works because I'm able to connect wirelessly at my sister's house and on campus. I think my only solution is to get a new router, but I don't think it's fair for me to buy a new one when it's AT&T's fault for not making their routers more compatible for macs =(

3. Muncher thread starter macrumors 65816

Muncher

maybe you should try rebooting before you try?

4. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

What 2wire router is it, it should work no matter what 2wire router it is anyway. I've had my Mac hooked up to a 1800 and 2700 and works no problem.

I've never had to put in the $ before the key.

I have also found glitches with the password for the wireless on the router. I had to reset it back to default and put in my own pass before it would accept it.

5. kerotab macrumors member

kerotab

I've tried resetting the router and rebooting my laptop and nothing. I have a 2wire 1800. tried $ and doesn't work. tried changing password and a bunch of other stuff, but nothing.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Use WPA and you won't have this problem, and you'll be more secure ;)

7. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

I don't know what to suggest then, all that I can say was anytime I used the $ before the key it never worked. So it seems useless. I've got a total of 5 different routers and not one would accept $. It would only take the proper password.

However, I don't use WEP. I always use WPA if I go wireless but even when I had ran WEP like years ago it just would not take the $ before the key.

So it should work, you could have mistyped it. It's a possibility, as it has happened to me before with the 1800 as well as the 2700.

8. kerotab macrumors member

kerotab

nah i've typed it in correctly and it still doesn't work.

I'm gonna try the WPA security. The thing that's really confusing is that even without any security, I still can't connect. >_<

9. kerotab macrumors member

kerotab

Got my wireless to work again! I didn't change the password to WPA tho. All I did was under the "wireless security" drop down menu, I chose "WEP 40/128-bit hex" instead of "WEP password". I didn't even need the $. It's kinda weird tho because I could have sworn I've tried that before and it didn't work. Now it did.

go figure =)