If you've got the new Apple wired keyboard: Reviews?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wordmunger, Aug 13, 2007.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I know there are a few reviews of the new apple wired keyboard out there, but I have a few specific questions. I'm considering buying one even though I'm not going to get a new iMac. Please answer only if you've actually tried the things I'm asking about. Thanks!

1. Feel. I don't like the old apple wired keyboard because of the "mushy" feel while I type. I've seen a few reviews suggesting that the new keyboard feels more like a macbook keyboard. Can anyone confirm that? My daughter has a macbook and that feels much nicer to me.

2. Height. It seems like the new keyboard is awkwardly short. Maybe I'm just used to my old keyboard, but I like to have my hands a bit above the table when I type. Is this a problem, or is it something you get used to?

3. USB ports. I know they aren't powered, but I still would like to be able to plug my 1st generation iPod Shuffle in to sync / use as a USB key. Is there enough clearance for that, or does the case of the Shuffle hit the side of the keyboard?

4. Any other concerns? Overall I think the keyboard looks great, but I want to be sure before I buy it. Thanks!

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

1) If you like the MacBook keyboard, you will love this. Personally, I thought the MacBook keyboard was the best on offer from Apple before this was introduced. FWIW, I also liked the old USB keyboard.

2) You get used to the height.

3) Don't know.

4) No concerns. Best keyboard Apple has ever made in my opinion. After using it for a few days, it is very fast and quite solid. Love it. A+

3. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

As for mushy I say it isn't super mushy when typing there is a small snap to it. Not as much as an IBM Model M keyboard but about the same as a Dell Quiet Key Keyboard. (as I tap a Dell Quiet Key right next to me and compare it with my Mac Keyboard that came today.

I didn't find much of a transition problem. But I am normally use to typing on my MacBook Pro Keyboard where the Keyboard is flush with the Laptop or If I am using a keyboard it has one of those rests on it... And I am typing with my hand on the table right now... Typing elevated isn't that bad the angle is good enough to not feel flat. You may need some adjustment to it because you are use to external keyboards but if you use a Laptop a lot there is no real problem to it.

As for clearance I am not sure about the shuffle but my USB key fit in fine. The Keyboard did come with a USB Extender though, that may make it fit. The devise is non powered and I did get a message from OS X stating my drive wasn't getting enough power... My mouse seems to work though.

When you get it you will need to do a software update to get all the features... Also I find that I am having problems doing the command c and command v but that may be because I am use to the laptop keyboard for using os x and on this keyboard my musscles tell me that I am using a PC keyboard and I need to do a Ctl-C and a Ctrl-V. I have been using it all day for some programming and I havent had to many problems with it. It feels good to me. But to be fair I am also not a Keyboard Snob. I just got it because it had Keys for up to F19 which is good for working remotely on a Vax.

4. zami macrumors regular

Fantastic keyboard but why doesn't holding down option at restart bring up the disk selection? It's driving me crazy.

BTW the Expose, brightness and Dashboard keys do nothing on mine either. It's the wired, extended version with the latest driver installed.

5. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

It certainly has a better price then the wireless version, however i wonder why the wireless version doesnt have the umber pad, which i really really wanted since i do a lot of spreadsheets :(

So my determining question is : How long is the cord?

I want something i can plug i and then chill on my bed with my wireless mouse and do some spreadsheeting...

So anyone wanna measure their cord pour moi?

6. zami macrumors regular

The actual cord that is attached to the keyboard is about 83cm, however there is also the usual little Apple proprietary extension lead used that is probably about the same length, mine's at the bottom of a cupboard in the packaging otherwise I'd measure that as well.

7. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I think I'm probably going to make the plunge, except for that niggling Shuffle question. Is there no one who has the first-gen Shuffle who could quickly try it out with the new keyboard?

8. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

they work on mine. it took me a second to figure out i had to unselect the use the f1, etc keys as function keys in the keyboard preferences.

as for the shuffle question, i don't have one but i stuck a flash drive into the usb port and it read it fine. there is a little space left in between the flash drive and the usb port. so if its not much thicker than a flash drive it should work.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I did a bit of typing on it today... I have to say, I'm not sure if I like it. I think it looks gorgeous. It felt awkward typing on it from too much elevation (standing at the kiosk at the Apple Store). My typing was generally accurate and fast, although sometimes my nails banged into the keys uncomfortably. I think I could touch type adequately on it with adjustment.

10. esco macrumors 6502

esco

One thing about the keyboard that was a pleasant surprise was the feel of the keys. It's not the same smooth plastic as the macbook keyboards; it has a slight texture to it. Very nice IMO

11. jstennis1591 macrumors member

I just got mine today and i absolutely love it!

And as far as the people having issues with the software update 1.1, i had absolutely none on my MBP........installed it, restarted, and then i was up and running using all the new buttons.....

another great apple product! and another very happy apple customer

12. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

13. esco macrumors 6502

esco

I can't even install 1.1 :(

Leopard keeps saying it already has a newer version of the keyboard software installed

14. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I just got mine in the mail today. So far its pretty great. I haven't installed the keyboard update software yet, but I will. I love my macbook and it's keyboard, so hopefully this will become just as comfortable.

15. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Maybe that's because the version on Leopard is newer, just doesn't support the new keyboards (yet). I imagine if there's a new build before the final release, it should support the new keyboards.

The driver updates apple released were only for Tiger probably.

16. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

got the software update installed.

All the special keys work fine. Great to be able to control itunes from the keyboard now without looking. The brightness keys do nothing, but I am on a mac pro and I am guessing that those only work on a laptop or imac. When my macbook is plugged into an external display, the external display is not affected by the brightness keys either.

Also, F16 opens the quick find bar in firefox... not sure what it does in other programs. F13, 14, 17, 18, 19 have no apparent function yet. I am guessing in Leopard the keys will all be more mappable.

although, the glare off this keyboard is extreme, I can barley see what I am typing. They should have gone with matte aluminum.

17. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I just got my new aluminum keyboard today. My initial impressions:

• The feel when typing is almost like the Macbook. I definitely like it better than the old whote keyboard
    • Its short and it feels a bit awkward. I hope to get used to the height
    • It looks great!
    • I just tried connecting my 30GB Video iPod 5.5 gen and it doesn't work. I guess the USB Hub doesn't provide the necessary power. I don't know about the Suffle as I don't have one

Overall I would recommend it to everyone!

18. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

i concur..

plus its sooooo much quieter than the previous apple keyboard.. so now i don't wake everyone up with the clanging of the keys.

ta-ra-ta-ta-taaaaaa i'm lovin it.. ;)

19. rhildinger macrumors member

The brightness keys will work on a Mac Pro if you use a display with a software controllable brightness level, which at present is just Apple's line of ACD's.

20. eug_ch_cheng macrumors newbie

Shuffle

i just purchased the new apple keyboard, it's a beauty.
    i can report that it works perfectly well with my 1st gen 1GB shuffle (lego).
    it syncs and charges it like any usb 2.0 port
    it fits quite nicely as well.
    sweet as.
    take the plunge indeed i say.

(btw, i'm running a rev a G5 imac)

21. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

i like it to ap oint i think its going to atake a whief or me to get use to it. i have kinda big hands and a smaller keyboard doesnt make much sense to me other than the look of it. it is very quiet though i do like that factor when trying to type a letter at 3 in the morning

22. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

I just received my new keyboard and I'm syncing my shuffle as I write this. Everything appears to be working flawlessly, and the keyboard is indeed beautiful and a dream to type on. I love it!

I'm not sure if the shuffle is charging via the keyboard but the ability to sync is already a huge improvement [update: it's not. The way you tell is to eject from iTunes. If there's an orange light, it's charging. There isn't.] . I'll try to remember to come back with an updated review after I've had a chance to use the new keyboard for a few days.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

23. ascender macrumors 68000

A first-gen shuffle fits nicely in to a USB port, its just the right size to fit under the keyboard.

24. Iso79 macrumors member

Got mine earlier this week. It's sexy and feels great. Only downside it won't charge my ipod or power my CF card reader.

25. CnoteMD macrumors newbie

I've been using the new keyboard for the past few days and I think it works great!. I was a PC user until a couple of months ago. When I got my 24 inch iMac it was a dramatic improvement. I became interested in the new keyboard because of the upgraded USB 2.0 connections. I wasn't as concerned about charging as I have a powered USB hub (though it seems that when connected to the newer aluminum iMac, it WILL charge iPods).

Overall, I am VERY impresed with the typing feel. I was a bit reluctant to upgrade the keyboard because I like the feel of the normal keys on the previous keyboard. The previous keyboard was vastly superior in feel to the Logitech keyboard I was using on my PC. Also, I really didn't like the feel of the keys on many PC laptops (haven't had much experience with macbooks). Even though the keys are very low profile, they have a nice feel and have resulted in my typing speed increasing. There is also the added benefit of the keys being almost completely silent.